Flaws in the Match Engine

First of all, this is not a rant, and should be read as constructive criticism. The "flaws" mentioned are things which has bugged me for a while now in the match engine, but again, the idea of the thread is to point out where the game could be improved. Here goes

Set piece walls

The position of the walls defending in set piece situations is poor. When looking at the scored free kicks, quite a few of them come from direct shots into the close corner, with no need of bending the free kick over the wall. The main task of the wall, is to prevent direct shots into the close corner, so it makes no sense that the position of the wall often leaves space wide open to such shots. At other times, I've seen the wall positioned towards the middle of the goal, or even towards the far corner.

Obviously the wall should always be so as the first man is standing directly between the ball and the close corner, whereas the rest of the wall fills in towards the middle of the goal. The only mistakes to be made is how many men is in the wall, and whether or not they jump or not.

Headers

It seems that headers very rarely find the net, even with players with high heading stats. Too often imo, the header flies way over, or goes straight to the goalie. Only when a player is very close to the goal, the keeper is left with too little time to react, and the header becomes quite impossible to save.

I think the heading in the game should be way more varied. Headers into close or far corners, headers past the goal (not over), close headers directly onto the keeper, mistimed headers where the player hardly connects with the ball and it goes towards the corner flag. In general, I'd like to see a difference in the quality of headers (heading stat), whereas atm, I only see a difference in who's winning the headers (jumping stat).

Crosses

This relates to the heading issue. Obviously if the player's heading ability is improved, we'd see a lot more headed goals in the game, and much higher scoring games, which needs to be countered. This leads me to the crossing in the game. I often see the crosses finding a man, if it get's further than the closest opponent, and very often, the striker is able to connect well with the ball.

As with headers i'd like to see a more varied crossing game, and it should be harder for the crosser to hit the targeted striker. Slow, chipped crosses or hard, bend crosses. Behind the defenders, in front of the defenders. Front post of far post. And way more mishits from players with a low crossing stat. Defenders should be better at handling crosses coming directly towards them, and the winger more aware of spaces in the box, where there are no defenders.

Wingers' run with the ball

This is a small issue I have with the way wingers in particular run with the ball. I often see them running down the line in space, but when being closed down, they turn and run towards the corner flag, then turn and hits a cross.

Instead they should more often be facing the penalty area, run towards it, and when coming close to the defenders, turn either inside or towards the byline. The only time they should running towards the corner flag is when going to waste time in the corner, or when under so much pressure, that they're forced to turn and hit it back to the fullback.

1 wouldnt know about that

2 I scored a header from edge of area, also a lot from penalty spot. Zigic scored ~1 goal/100 minutes, and i think 3 or 4 with feet, and i played him enough to get him ~12 goals.

3. I don't often see higher then 10% crossing compl. I don't see your point on this one either. I also see varied crossing.

4. This is a tactics issue. I solved it for the most part. I wouldn't know how to solve it in your situation, cause every tactic is different, but for me it helped to give the winger more passing options before he runs to the corner. If opponent shows your winger on his outside foot, it's tough to cut inside in ball possesion.

First of all, this is not a rant, and should be read as constructive criticism. The "flaws" mentioned are things which has bugged me for a while now in the match engine, but again, the idea of the thread is to point out where the game could be improved. Here goes

Headers

It seems that headers very rarely find the net, even with players with high heading stats. Too often imo, the header flies way over, or goes straight to the goalie. Only when a player is very close to the goal, the keeper is left with too little time to react, and the header becomes quite impossible to save.

Crosses

This relates to the heading issue. Obviously if the player's heading ability is improved, we'd see a lot more headed goals in the game, and much higher scoring games, which needs to be countered. This leads me to the crossing in the game. I often see the crosses finding a man, if it get's further than the closest opponent, and very often, the striker is able to connect well with the ball.

As with headers i'd like to see a more varied crossing game, and it should be harder for the crosser to hit the targeted striker. Slow, chipped crosses or hard, bend crosses. Behind the defenders, in front of the defenders. Front post of far post. And way more mishits from players with a low crossing stat. Defenders should be better at handling crosses coming directly towards them, and the winger more aware of spaces in the box, where there are no defenders.

Read patch notes more carefully. When player is challenged heading accuracy is greatly decreased.

Wingers' run with the ball

This is a small issue I have with the way wingers in particular run with the ball. I often see them running down the line in space, but when being closed down, they turn and run towards the corner flag, then turn and hits a cross.

Instead they should more often be facing the penalty area, run towards it, and when coming close to the defenders, turn either inside or towards the byline. The only time they should running towards the corner flag is when going to waste time in the corner, or when under so much pressure, that they're forced to turn and hit it back to the fullback.

I disagree. Do you watch RL football at all?

I wouldn't comment much on the wall positioning as it really varies in real football and training and goalkeepers have the most influence on it. I think the walls in the game are better than in real football because you just don't score often enough form free-kicks

Wow its as if you are me like 3 months ago

These were literally the main points i complained about since Fm 10 came out

If you check my posts you'll see this

But to be honest i used to complain alot before patch 10.3 hoping that it would be fixed for that patch

But since the new patch has came out and i realised i still cannot score a single header (since fm09) with Edin Dzeko due to the issues you mentioned above...

Ive kinda got fed up with the game and only really played it 3 times since march1st

Any way my point is dont even bother complaining about it

As they probably know all the problems already and it wont get dealt with till fm11

Is the headers thing not just a promlem with ratios, like the perceived issue with one-v-ones on 10.2?

I haven't seen an official response but on my Leeds save (Xmas) I too see tons of headers go over but my strikers still score them. Of Beckford's 12 goals 3 were headers, which I think is probably generous for him.

It's an annoyance but for me it's a minor one. Hope they sort it for FM11

Archived