Is there something fundamentally wrong with the Man Utd data?

Is it just me or do Man Utd consistently fail to deliver in the early seasons of FM?

Since, maybe, FM05 Man Utd always seem to struggle badly in the early seasons, never going on to win anything or dominate in the way they have been for the last 15 or so years.

Not just that, they always seem to finish outside the Champions League places with the likes of Stoke City finishing above them.

Why is this? Has the researcher underestimated some key attributes here or got the starting tactics wrong perhaps?

Either way it annoys me to constantly see them BADLY struggle every time. They never seem to win the league in the first season, or get anywhere near.

What are other people's experiences?

2009/10 Champions 80 points (7 clear of second place)

2010/11 3rd 0n 79 points (11 points behind 1st)

2011/12 6th on 68 points (11 points behind 1st)

2012/13 4th on 76 points (5 points behind 1st, which was me)

2013/14 4th on 79 points (11 points behind 1st and 3 points behind 2nd (I was 1st again))

2014/15 Currently 5th after 26 games (5 points behind 2nd, 19 behind me in 1st)

So they are still top 3, but if I was not here they would not of won anything.

Fergie leaves end of season 2 and after that they have had a few managers.

I'd assume that there will be nothing wrong with the data and that it will be entirely at fault of the simulation.

Or to be more precise: the Manchester United data does not fit in with what is required for a continuously successful side within the parameters of the simulation. For example, Alex Ferguson retiring after a few seasons would be an obvious factor.

Just look at how the Arsenal data was manipulated recently to make them almost certain to dominate the league.

• Administrators

I think it's a combination of budgets, manager preferred formations and obviously players available. Personally I think the data for Man Utd players personally is pretty good.

Chelsea:

Well apart from me they are, they have won or been top 3 for the last 4 seasons.

In the first few seasons for me they are are usually runaway leaders in the prem. Man utd seem to fall out of the champion's league spots and Man City seem to improve quite a bit

In the four seasons ive played with Man City, Chelsea came 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st and are currently 9th in November in the 5th season. I have finished 2nd, 1st, 1st ,2nd and currently 1st United on the other hand have finished 3rd twice and 4th twice but are currently 7th.

I'd assume that there will be nothing wrong with the data and that it will be entirely at fault of the simulation.

Or to be more precise: the Manchester United data does not fit in with what is required for a continuously successful side within the parameters of the simulation. For example, Alex Ferguson retiring after a few seasons would be an obvious factor.

Just look at how the Arsenal data was manipulated recently to make them almost certain to dominate the league.

perhaps if you visit the data forums you will understand what the data is all about. man utd's and arsenal's for that matter is accurate

Because they are jealous that their club can`t win anything;)

I rekon its more to do with their arrogance and the fact that them and their fans feel that they deserve to win everyting which is shown in this thread. (oh noes man yoo are not winning boo hoo)

;)

10.3 first season after 26 games they are 6 points clear of City, 7 of me West Ham and 10 Liverpool and Arsenal. 15 From Chelsea. I find each different save I have a dominate team who will dominate for a few years. But yeah United and Liverpool usually struggle after a few years with their debts meaning less signings etc.

I'll have to remember this thread when I get home. I ran 10.3 for 10 or so seasons when I got the update. I'll post the results when I get home and look at the save again. I have to agree with Neil. There's nothing wrong with the data for United. I blame the AI managers that come in after Fergie leaves.

2009/10 Champions 80 points (7 clear of second place)

2010/11 3rd 0n 79 points (11 points behind 1st)

2011/12 6th on 68 points (11 points behind 1st)

2012/13 4th on 76 points (5 points behind 1st, which was me)

2013/14 4th on 79 points (11 points behind 1st and 3 points behind 2nd (I was 1st again))

2014/15 Currently 5th after 26 games (5 points behind 2nd, 19 behind me in 1st)

So they are still top 3, but if I was not here they would not of won anything.

Fergie leaves end of season 2 and after that they have had a few managers.

I was hoping that they would stop him retiring after a couple of seasons, cause let's face it he will still be there in another 5 years! In fact he will most likely follow In Jock Steins footsteps and die on the sidelines!

I'm managing them myself so can't really comment on them, but looking at how the English game plays, City in particular with massive amounts of money grow hugely, while Liverpool, United, etc all have a lot of debt which drags them back a bit.

Also, both United and Arsenal lose their managers early enough in the game.

Here' the 10.3 holiday game results for United

09/10 - 72 points, 3rd place in PL(13 points behind winner)

10/11 - 71 points, 4th place in PL(17 points behind winner)

11/12 - 75 points, 2nd place in PL(13 points behind winner)

12/13 - 68 points, 5th place in PL(10 points behind winner)

13/14 - 73 points, 3rd place in PL(14 points behind winner)

14/15 - 69 points, 5th place in PL(11 points behind winner)

15/16 - 72 points, 2nd place in PL( 5 points behind winner)

16/17 - 75 points, 2nd place in PL( 3 points behind winner)

17/18 - 85 points, 1st place in PL(11 points ahead of 2nd)

18/19 - 69 points, 5th place in PL(12 points behind winner)

19/20 - 60 points, 8th place in PL(19 points behind winner)

20/21 - 61 points, 7th place in PL(24 points behind winner)

21/22 - 66 points, 7th place in PL(21 points behind winner)

22/23 - 79 points, 2nd place in PL( 6 points behind winner...Liverpool)

23/24 - 41 points, leading PL after 16 games by 2 points

Sir Alex retired after the 10/11 season and was replaced by Juande Ramos. Ramos was sacked in the 13/14 season and was replaced by Tony Mowbray. Mowbray has been in charge since then. There were two failed takeover bids in 2022. In 2023 David Gill left the club and was replaced by Sir Bobby Charlton. Later in 2023 David Gill decided he wanted back in and bought United.

Archived