Players taking FOREVER to learn a new language!

I just finished my first season with Southampton and am moving into the second and have noticed that many of the foreigners (those who didn't speak english at the start) are STILL (~400 days later) to gain a single point or make any significant progress towards English.

An example would be with my DC Medhi Benatia who has an Adaptability of 20, but has only gain a SINGLE point towards learning the English language - even despite the presence of other players who spoke both French and English. Another example would be with Goran Ljubojevic who had spent over 3 years in Belgium, but still failed to pick up a single point of Dutch or French.

This is surely not right as I remember in previous versions that even players with average adaptability would be fluent in the home language after only a season or two.

Languages are not easy to learn you know, especially when you are a grown adult.

Why dont you try moving to France for a year and see if you can speak fluent French after that time!

I doubt it somehow!

I'm not expecting fluency in the language - but atleast some sort of progress towards a basic understanding of English. At this rate it will be over 10 years until even the "fastest" of my players gain fluency - which is unreasonable.

Some people can take 10 years to learn the language, while others take only 1 year.

Its realistic.

10 years i would have given up after 2 years nevermind 10, wonder what language would take 10 years to learn, ummmmmmmm amazon maybe :D

Some people can take 10 years to learn the language, while others take only 1 year.

Its realistic.

I completely agree. However, what I'm trying to understand is how a player with an adaptability of 20 - which represents a player who would gain another language the quickest out of anyone else in the game is barely learning anything in almost a year and a half.

Like in FM08 with my Bayern team everyone (Ustari, Veloso, Micah Richards, Aguero, etc.) picked up German in a year or two - which is what puzzles me about this version...

I'm not discounting that learning a language is difficult - but I'd expect my players to have atleast a functional grasp of English in over a year.

I learned Polish in a year, and became fluent IMO in about 3 years time living in Poland.

I learned Spanish after spending half a year in Venezuela, and now that I am in Venezuela again, I am approaching fluentness after half a year.

People should IMO be able to learn languages quicker on FM.

Comes down to the individual.

I've been really good linguistics who may have high levels of proficiency in one language, yet when it comes to adding a second, they can't handle it.

Everyone, even the most idiotic of folk pick languages up if we surround ourselves in the culture, way of life and language. The Brain will retain information and naturally replace the mother tongue in quick, rapid conversation.

I speak four languages and will be taking a further two at University next year and whilst they're not easy, they're not exactly hard. It comes down to persistent work at the end of the day.

I think adaptability comes into it.

A low adaptability will render a slow learning process where as someone with high adaptability will have a fast learning process.

Very realistic.

Also, learning French in a year is possible. The best way to learn a language is by traveling and living abroad. I doubt you'd be fluent but still have a high command.

Archived