Always have a backup GK

Never had my no.1 Gk missing and my backup complains alot so I sold him. The next week my GK is injured for 4 weeks!!!

4 weeks is a long time in football. Lost a chance of winning the league and knockout of Ch Lg.

Take note, always have a backup GK.

If your playing in Scotland in the SPL then you dont have a choice because its the rules that one of your subs has to be a keeper. I think its a good idea to always have on just in case. Although it doesn't happen too often they do sometimes get sent off or have long term injuries and its actually happened to me a couple of times with Riena at Liverpool.

I always have 2 keepers in first team squad. And a promising youngster in my reserves.

I play my 2nd choice keeper in Carling Cup, FA cup and easy-ish home games in general. That way they stay happy, mostly.

In fact I do that with all my 2nd choices/squad contract players lol. Which isn't very realistic because few RL managers change their entire team like that. But works in FM for me.

I also find the "Minutes" column (Minutes Played) which you can add to your custom view, very helpful, in keeping track of when a player needs some (minutes). Can keep all the squad players happy-ish by making sure they have all gotten just about the same playing time by end of season.

Yep, as soon as you don't have a backup keeper or forget to put a keeper on your subs bench, your one keeper will get injured. Always happens to me, so I always try to have a keeper on the bench (which sucks when you play in a league that only allows three subs per matchday squad).

i always have 2 in my first team and then my third choice is either in my reserves or youth team. I've never had to use my third choice keeper but i did have to use my second choice for a while in my last season because reina was out for 8 weeks with a broken finger.

The funny part is my backup keeper, joe hart barely played for me in the first half of this season and he got unhappy and then man city wanted him back so i sold him for 8m after signing him 3 seasons ago for 2.3m, and the only real spell he'd had in my team was those 8 weeks when reina was injured. I then managed to sign a replacement for Hart who is just as good for 3m. Tidy little profit.

I loan my young keepers out with a ‘re-call’ option, so that if disaster ever does strike, I can have him back in a day or two. My back-up keepers only ever last a season, as they either retire or get sick of not playing. :)

on a 15 match unbeaten run. First my top goalscorer got injured. No problem still doing well. Then my first choice gk gets injured...no problem still doing well. now my no.2 gk is injured too. Have to choose between Ian Turner or a regen valued at 80k with 1 star CA and 3 star PA to play games against Liverpool and Man City (1st and 2nd in league) while I'm fighting for a champions league spt in 4th with 7 games to go. Nice one FM!

I think the best idea really is to get a good young keeper (plenty around usually) on loan for the season. They never tend to mention anything about a lack of 1st team footy, and they're gone at the end of the season anyway.

At least this way you always have a backup. This maybe tougher in the Premier League, however, due to needing a better standard of keeper.

Well this has turned out not so bad.

My keeper missed 8 games. As I said I lost the first 2 and I lost a third game 6-1 but then Torres turned into a great keeper.

I managed to put together an unbeaten run.

Now my keeper is back, i'm 2pts of the top with a game at hand and I won my Ch Lg group (after I lost the Ch Lg game without my Gk I though i'd be knocked out)

Happy days.

PS I am still going to buy 2 backup GK in Jan. An old experienced on loan and a yth potential gk.

Right now, I have a great keeper and two decent ones, I make a rotation between them. I can't sign a better keeper (because of foreign player restrictions in Turkey, I use my quota in the forward line and the midfield.) so I am trying to get it going with them. Also have some promising youngsters in the U20 and U18.

I think the best idea really is to get a good young keeper (plenty around usually) on loan for the season. They never tend to mention anything about a lack of 1st team footy, and they're gone at the end of the season anyway.

At least this way you always have a backup. This maybe tougher in the Premier League, however, due to needing a better standard of keeper.

I try to do this now. You don't have to play the loan keeper if you don't want to, and it gives you a decent (and usually free!) backup.

Archived