Old Strikers playing Center Back

In two of my recent games against Aston Villa and Portsmouth, Heskey and Kanu were subbed in as central defenders. Looking at their profiles, the AI had played each of them at center back a few times... I know you can retrain players to new positions, but this still seemed odd to me. Anyone else seen anything like this?

Yeah I've seen this quite a lot.

I'm not entirely sure what the AI is playing at a lot of the time but I guess it's because those players have jumping and strength and the AI is too stupid to think outside the box ie it wants to put on a defender regardless of the fact that they don't actually have one on the bench.

Sorry but no way is Heskey a defender. Play a striker in defence and you risk penalties being given away. The AI is clearly not aware enough to recognise valid reasons for playing someone in a given position. In FM09 Alan smith ended up playing as a DC almost always even though in rl he began as a striker and it was only Man Utd that put him into central midfield thereby ending his career as he was never a midfielder, much less a defender (as in FM).

Sorry but no way is Heskey a defender. Play a striker in defence and you risk penalties being given away. The AI is clearly not aware enough to recognise valid reasons for playing someone in a given position. In FM09 Alan smith ended up playing as a DC almost always even though in rl he began as a striker and it was only Man Utd that put him into central midfield thereby ending his career as he was never a midfielder, much less a defender (as in FM).

He's not much of a striker IRL. :D

Surely it depends on the player? A centre-back has many similar qualities to a big target man, so it's not surprising to see it happen occasionally. If I ever lose a centre-back late in a game with no subs left, the first player I look to move back there is a striker.

the AI is too stupid to think outside the box ie it wants to put on a defender regardless of the fact that they don't actually have one on the bench.

I think this is exactly the AI thinking outside of the box; I don't have a defender, but do I have a player with attributes that might work in an emergency?

Not as weird as in one of my games... Was looking for Edin Džeko so I went to Wolfsburg and poked around their squad, scrolling to the bottom where the strikers are. Not there. Looked at the transfers. Not there. Did a search and discovered he was at Wolfsburg. Confused, I looked around and saw he had been retrained to a central midfielder! Bizarre really.

Any striker who plays/can play in cendral defence is a cra* striker.....

bradbury,doherty, langmead, samba... the list goes on.

If heskey and kanu are playing in defence on football manager, you have to wonder what the makers of FM are playing at!

Dion Dublin. :thup:

I remember some time ago, I did a holiday to 2015, and saw that Chelsea retrained Terry as a Goalkeeper! :D

Was good though, checking in the history, and appearently in some quarter finals, Cech got injured, and Doni (Yes Chelsea signed him) was red Carded, so Terry was used. :D :D :D

lee bullen used to play as a striker, and finished his career at cb/rb. He played in every position for Sheff wed during his time here (including goal!)

:mad::mad::mad:

Oh, and on topic, I think it's good to see this. As others have mentioned, players who are coming to the end of their career often shift position, including many ST who shift to CB. Well implemented :).

Archived