Liechtenstein and Champion's league

Something I am wondering about, can a club from Liechtenstein (thinking FC Vaduz here) ever get in the Champion's League? I looked up some stuff but that's not so relevant to FM and how it's implemented there. I know they have a cup, but no league so no actual champion.

They only have one club seeded in the EURO Cup, but does it stay that way when Vaduz would win the Swiss league? Or can they move up in the coefficients? I want to try this out, build a big youth academy with Liechtenstein players etc, but if they can never get in the jackpot league, finances will never ever rise in proportions. Anyone tried this before?

• SI Staff

Not sure if they are allowed in or not. They get into the Europa League by winning the Liechtenstein Cup as I don't think there is a professional league in that country and they all play in Switzerland or elsewhere.

I tried it before but I actually got relegated and gave up after a while. I was going to post it as a challenge to see how some of the better players of the game get on but I can't remember if I ever did or not.

Well I guess I have to try it out, but logically Vaduz would just play Europa league every season, no matter what happens in Swiss league, which wouldn't be fair of course but for real they would never win it, but that's where it gets interesting in FM :D

I am sure that i have seen them play in the europa league

I was asking for the champion's league, they play europa league every season as it's like the only semi-pro club in Liechtenstein, I bet they win that cup there every year.

I was asking for the champion's league, they play europa league every season as it's like the only semi-pro club in Liechtenstein, I bet they win that cup there every year.

I know that mate but i was just saying that i think i might have seen them in the Europa league:)

I'm not sure how it works in football manager but should they finish in a champions league spot in real life they would not get the Swiss champions league spot. It was arranged like that when they were promoted, however, I think that should this occur UEFA would probably step in and give a special wildcard or something.

Its an interesting question, do you know if the Lichtenstein coeff improves through Vaduz' participation in the Europa League?

I imagine if it does, then eventually the Lichtenstein Cup will be worth a CL spot instead of Europa League. Alternatively, you may just confuse the game and it'll crash ;)

Its an interesting question, do you know if the Lichtenstein coeff improves through Vaduz' participation in the Europa League?

I imagine if it does, then eventually the Lichtenstein Cup will be worth a CL spot instead of Europa League. Alternatively, you may just confuse the game and it'll crash ;)

No cups are ever worth a CL spot.

Liechtenstein teams cannot win the swiss league (top division). If one does finish first then the top Swiss club is crowned league champions. Cannot find the link, but that's a fact.

Then what would be the point of Vaduz entering into the Swiss league system. I'm sorry to have to say this but this fact seems to have come from the University of what Someone in the Pub told Me.

from what i've heard it's the same as the situation here in the a-league. We have a team from New Zealand that plays in our Australian league, now, we are part of Asia, and our best 2 teams each year can play in the Asian Champions League, if the NZ team (Wellington Phoenix) were ever to win the league, a possibility this year, they are not allowed to play in the ACL, the next best Australian team will take their place.

I believe the FC Vaduz situation is basically the same.

The reason these clubs enter is to promote football in their country and to give them a real challenge, no regular NZ club would stand a chance against an A-League team, just like no Liechtenstein side could beat a Swiss team. I do feel sorry for them a bit (although I would be happier if New Zealand would make their own leagues and get out of ours).

They can be, if the relevant FA decides they are. The FA could give, say, the Johnson's Paint Trophy Winner a CL spot.

Silly me, I thought we were talking about Football Manager. Didn't know this was a feature.

Then what would be the point of Vaduz entering into the Swiss league system. I'm sorry to have to say this but this fact seems to have come from the University of what Someone in the Pub told Me.

Like sydfc4ever said, it's to give the team a challenge, to get better and to be able to attract better players, if they stayed in Liechtenstein there is no way they would be semi-pro, they would still be at amateur level. But in real they would probably do something about the rules when it would happen (they are in 2nd division), I bet they are happy they are the only 2nd division team entering European football every season :p Still I'm going to try to grow that club for better Liechtenstein newgens :p

Like sydfc4ever said, it's to give the team a challenge, to get better and to be able to attract better players, if they stayed in Liechtenstein there is no way they would be semi-pro, they would still be at amateur level. But in real they would probably do something about the rules when it would happen (they are in 2nd division), I bet they are happy they are the only 2nd division team entering European football every season :p Still I'm going to try to grow that club for better Liechtenstein newgens :p

It would also be a bit boring to have a league with only 7 clubs. Liechtenstein clubs are "guest" in the Swiss Amateur Leagues. This was never a problem as until 2001, all Liechtenstein clubs were not good enough to be promoted to 1st or 2nd Swiss Division for decades. With Vaduz becoming better, an agreement has been made between Vaduz and the Swiss Profil Leagues that allows Vaduz to be part of one of these two leagues. But Vaduz need to pay for this agreement and it is always only valid for three years and then it needs to be renewed. Actually, just last year there was a long discusson if this contract shall be renewed or not, as many clubs didnt like that Vaduz was part of Swiss Division (only 10 clubs -> therefore "stealing" a place of a real swiss team). And no, if Vaduz would win the Swiss League, they would not be the Swiss Champions and also not enter for Switzerland in the CL (they are in a different FA)

Also, a second club from Liechtenstein (Eschen/Mauren) currently plays in the 3rd swiss division (first amateur league). They did very well last season what raised the question if they would be allowed to be promoted to the second division. It has been decided that only one club from Liechtenstein is allowed to play in one of the two prof. leagues in Switzerland.

Regarding Euro Cup: Actually, if you look at the UEFA coeff, Liechtenstein should actually get 1 CL and 2 EL places. But they will always only get one 1 EL place as they dont have their own league...(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient)

In FM2010: It is hardcoded that Liechtenstein always gets only one 1 EL-place. And that it is always Vaduz. But as Vaduz wrongly has the Swiss Nationality, the can also get into the CL if they win the Swiss League. This is wrong and needs to be changed for the future...

Just skimmed through the thread quickly and haven't read everything, but I think you can't get a Champions League spot with a Liechtstein club becaus they're the only country in Europe to not be members of UEFA, I completely forget the reason, though.

No, Liechtenstein is part of the UEFA since 1974.

Otherwise the national team wouldn't take part in WC and EC Qualification.

Afaik, Vaduz would be able to enter the Champions League if they qualified through the Swiss league.

As in Liechtenstein there is no national league, there is also no national champion who could enter the CL qualification.

It would also be a bit boring to have a league with only 7 clubs. Liechtenstein clubs are "guest" in the Swiss Amateur Leagues. This was never a problem as until 2001, all Liechtenstein clubs were not good enough to be promoted to 1st or 2nd Swiss Division for decades. With Vaduz becoming better, an agreement has been made between Vaduz and the Swiss Profil Leagues that allows Vaduz to be part of one of these two leagues. But Vaduz need to pay for this agreement and it is always only valid for three years and then it needs to be renewed. Actually, just last year there was a long discusson if this contract shall be renewed or not, as many clubs didnt like that Vaduz was part of Swiss Division (only 10 clubs -> therefore "stealing" a place of a real swiss team). And no, if Vaduz would win the Swiss League, they would not be the Swiss Champions and also not enter for Switzerland in the CL (they are in a different FA)

Also, a second club from Liechtenstein (Eschen/Mauren) currently plays in the 3rd swiss division (first amateur league). They did very well last season what raised the question if they would be allowed to be promoted to the second division. It has been decided that only one club from Liechtenstein is allowed to play in one of the two prof. leagues in Switzerland.

Regarding Euro Cup: Actually, if you look at the UEFA coeff, Liechtenstein should actually get 1 CL and 2 EL places. But they will always only get one 1 EL place as they dont have their own league...(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient)

In FM2010: It is hardcoded that Liechtenstein always gets only one 1 EL-place. And that it is always Vaduz. But as Vaduz wrongly has the Swiss Nationality, the can also get into the CL if they win the Swiss League. This is wrong and needs to be changed for the future...

Thanks for the explanation, I did read the wikipedia about it but that was it. Well imo teh sacrifice of not being able to get in the champion's league is a big one, just for playing in Swiss league imo :p But who am I to judge of course. And Vaduz can't help it that the country is so small that is only has 7 clubs :D

Thanks for the explanation, I did read the wikipedia about it but that was it. Well imo teh sacrifice of not being able to get in the champion's league is a big one, just for playing in Swiss league imo :p But who am I to judge of course. And Vaduz can't help it that the country is so small that is only has 7 clubs :D

But even then, what would be the chances to get past the second or even first round of the CL qualification? Never forget, Vaduz is a little village with about 5000 inhabitants. And the FC is playing in front of 800 people...

No, Liechtenstein is part of the UEFA since 1974.

Otherwise the national team wouldn't take part in WC and EC Qualification.

I didn't mean that, I meant... well I don't know:p, but I'm sure I heard on the radio that Leichtenstein don't have a representative in the CL for some reason similar to that, but I didn't mean the actual national team wasn't part of UEFA.

I didn't mean that, I meant... well I don't know:p, but I'm sure I heard on the radio that Leichtenstein don't have a representative in the CL for some reason similar to that, but I didn't mean the actual national team wasn't part of UEFA.

They don't have a representative in the Champions League because they do not have a league. In fact, they are the only UEFA nation without a league structure.

Damn, even Gibraltar has a league structure.

7 teams isn't that bad for a league structure, that is what Gibraltar works on. What Liechenstein could do is have a league which works on playing each team 5 times, 30 games, reasonable season length. Maybe even get a couple of lower league Swiss teams who are very close to Liechenstein geographically to play if they want more numbers. Means Liechenstein get a Champions League spot

They don't have a representative in the Champions League because they do not have a league. In fact, they are the only UEFA nation without a league structure.

That's it :). Thanks mate, thought it was something a bit more complex, but anyway.

Thought they would have at least had a small league structure for the chance to play in the CL.

That's it :). Thanks mate, thought it was something a bit more complex, but anyway.

Thought they would have at least had a small league structure for the chance to play in the CL.

I'm not sure why they don't, but I don't see Vaduz wanting to leave... much like Cardiff et al. refusing when the LoW was first put into action late last century.

Archived