The Mexican League: Crikey thats a bit weird...

Decided to go to America in Mexico just so I could play me home games at the Aztec. After finally working out how to lose the `America (MEX)' nickname thanks to config notepad whatsits, it turns out I've signed up for the longest slog of all time I think.

51 week season with a nice week off in between so's they can head for the coast and get their breath back. And rules that seem to make themselves up as they go along and little mini leagues that pop up when you least expect it. Oh and losing half the squad before a big continental game due to Olympic Qualifiers, always a pleasure.

Loving every minute of it, I can thoroughly recommend it. Has anyone else been there?

Am thinking of heading on up to the USA while I'm over here, has anyone tried it and does it play brilliant or rubbish long term with the weird transfer thingy?

Otherwise its Brazil next, and that could get even messier :)

A nice new experience after probably 15 years of playing the game

I just thought Brazil was millions of matches a season, in 2 maybe 3 leagues and a couple of cups plus continentals. Thats what mexico lacks, domestic cups. They would need a 9 day week tho to be fair!

Maybe Flamengo it is then, purely for the Maracana :)

And yeah, the fact I started this save game on release day, so no USA lower league addons, is drawing me away from the USA

There's always Matlock Town tho if I fancy doing Notts Co all over again but from the very bottom. Am a sucker for a good ground picture ;)

I played in the lower leagues and it was:

First half of season: State Championships (They are different sizes, mine had 8 teams playing each other twice)

Second half of season: Third Division, split into several groups of 8 with the top two progressing to a knockout stage.

I played in the lower leagues and it was:

First half of season: State Championships (They are different sizes, mine had 8 teams playing each other twice)

Second half of season: Third Division, split into several groups of 8 with the top two progressing to a knockout stage.

I love the Brazilian lower leagues, both in the game and in reality.

The standard of players in their bottom clubs is so much better than in England.

In reality its actually a really clever league system, because its all designed so the clubs rarely have to travel far for each game, as they are all part time and travelling is expensive, so all the teams in each "group" are from a fairly small area.

I love the Brazilian lower leagues, both in the game and in reality.

The standard of players in their bottom clubs is so much better than in England.

In reality its actually a really clever league system, because its all designed so the clubs rarely have to travel far for each game, as they are all part time and travelling is expensive, so all the teams in each "group" are from a fairly small area.

Season after season of the same few teams tho I guess in that part of the year. But only one part of the season, theres a bigger picture.

I didnt even know that Mexico had 3 groups within the main league til I got here!

Just found out though that I can play in both the North American Champions League and the Libertadores in the same season! Hmmm good way of earning the Continental King achievement. If it works today. Still havent got my Done The Double achievement after 2 trebles with Notts County....

Just found out though that I can play in both the North American Champions League and the Libertadores in the same season! Hmmm good way of earning the Continental King achievement. If it works today. Still havent got my Done The Double achievement after 2 trebles with Notts County....

In real life that's not possible. If you play the Concachapions, you are not allowed to play Interliga or Libertadores.

Well am glad you said that cuz I WAS wondering. Seems like the Mexican Opening Stage is when I play CONCACAF group matches, then a break til knockouts Feb time (ish), same as Euro Champions League. We'll see if it lets me play the Libertadores at around the same time, it might not, I might do a season in one then a season in the other?

Did a little Interliga thing at the end of the season (Opening, December time) which meant I qualified for the Libertadores, but I qualified for the CONCACAF by winning the Campion o Campions (you know what I mean), well thats when I got the message I'd qualified. I won the Libertadores last year so maybe I automatically qualify for next season due to that?

You obviously know more about it than me, Mr PMLF, to me it seems that it makes itself up as it goes along! The CONCACAF seems quite easy, looking at the opposition I might face, whereas the Libertadores was more daunting except a lot of the big teams went out early, ended up with Argentinos in the final.

To be honest Mr PMLF any guidance appreciated, having looked at the history of the league, it seems that teams dont particularly concentrate on the league when they're in continental cups? It goes against my nature to play weakened teams in the league but because of Olympics and Olympic qualifiers I seem to have to do a lot of the time.

I've had a few good, short saves in Brazil I liked. Something to keep in mind - some of the state championships have quite a few games against the 'big teams' that you will also play in the National, and maybe the cup and continental competitions; you might get bored of the familiarity. Rio and Paulista ones are like that. Personally I'd recommend Gremio, Internacional, Mineiro or Cruzeiro - in their states you only play one other big team around 3-5 times.

State championships and the Libertadores (the S. American Champs League) run in the first part of the year. The National and Sudamericana (their Europa) run in the second half.

EDIT: at the moment I've got a nice Gremio save going where I don't buy anyone at all, just rely on the youth system - it's fun.

I really enjoy the Brazilian leagues and always like a llm challenge there. I've also tried out Sao Paulo and Fluminense, both enjoyable games. Brazil when all the newgens are out is great.

I have Mexico running at the moment on my game and intend to try it out during this save.

I have Mexico running at the moment on my game and intend to try it out during this save.

Maaaaaan, have you looked at the rules for the Mexican league?!? I looked at them on Wiki and then wanted to blow my brains out! The ones for continental qualification too.........:eek:

Incidentally - how did you get on with Fluminenses debt?

I personally enjoy the Mexican Primera Division; but then again, I coach IRL in Colorado and the majority of my students and players are first-generation Mexican-Americans. I have learned their rules from them. Once you grasp the who Apertura and Clausura concept, each with their own playoff, then it will make sense to you. The reality behind having Mexican sides play so many games is the clubs need the gate receipts. I am currently coaching Monterrey on FM and loving it. I finished mid-table in the Apertura and will likely do the same in the Clausura. I won the Interliga, so played my way into to Copa Libertadores, which is fun but tough when coming up against Inter (of Brazil, not Italy). The Argentine league also uses a Apertura and Clausura approach. The thinking behind the two halves of the season is that it creates more day-to-day drama, gives the smaller sides a chance to regroup for the second phase and creates excitement around the 3 playoff stages (Apertura, Interliga and Clausura). This also means that only the truly weak clubs get relegated as a club must have the lowest average of three seasons to get relegated. Ask more questions. I am an American in love with MLS and MPD.

Ive never managed out of europe in all the years ive been playing the game,maybe it's time i head to the sunnier climates.

I suppose a good thing about playing in countries you've never played before is the fact you gain some insight to other league set ups from around the world.FM is our teacher :D

To me, the system in Mexico seems like a cross between the MLS conference and playoff system in the USA and the Argentinian 'half seasons'.

It keeps things fresh if nothing else. I want to try and manage a team in Mexico if the opportunity arises in my current save. A very under-rated league.

Aaah well I'm even more confused now...I won the Libertadores and kind of expected that to grant me access to the World Club Cup. Nope.

But I've just checked the clubs history and they won the CONCACAF the year before I got there, which must be why I played in the WCC the first season I arrived. This can only mean that for whatever reason, CONCACAF winners get the place and not Libertadores winners? Hmmm.

And now suddenly the Recopa Sudamerica has appeared! A two-legged tie against Flamengo?? Am guessing this is the South American equivilent of the Super Cup Monaco thingy in Europe. The mind boggles.

The international fixtures are killing my club squad time after time at the very worst times, leaving me 3 subs only and a complete reserve team bar a couple of `good but not good enough for international standard' Argentinians left from my first team.

Brilliant fun :)

Sean: Monterrey is my favourite awayday purely down to the fantastic stadium pic I've picked up in a pack somewhere over the years, probably my favourite ground on all FM

Decided to go to America in Mexico just so I could play me home games at the Aztec. After finally working out how to lose the `America (MEX)' nickname thanks to config notepad whatsits, it turns out I've signed up for the longest slog of all time I think.

51 week season with a nice week off in between so's they can head for the coast and get their breath back. And rules that seem to make themselves up as they go along and little mini leagues that pop up when you least expect it. Oh and losing half the squad before a big continental game due to Olympic Qualifiers, always a pleasure.

Loving every minute of it, I can thoroughly recommend it. Has anyone else been there?

Am thinking of heading on up to the USA while I'm over here, has anyone tried it and does it play brilliant or rubbish long term with the weird transfer thingy?

Otherwise its Brazil next, and that could get even messier :)

A nice new experience after probably 15 years of playing the game

I'lld hate all that messing around.

Thanks The Sean

Aaah developments....I'm in the draw for the Libertadores. Seeded 4th as last years winners! Don't even get how the seedings work cuz Boca are seeded 4th with me and yet the mighty Colo Colo are seeded 2nd. Curiouser and curiouser :)

Aaah well I'm even more confused now...I won the Libertadores and kind of expected that to grant me access to the World Club Cup. Nope.

But I've just checked the clubs history and they won the CONCACAF the year before I got there, which must be why I played in the WCC the first season I arrived. This can only mean that for whatever reason, CONCACAF winners get the place and not Libertadores winners? Hmmm.

Did the team you beat in the Libertadores final go to the CWC instead? I imagine the game won't allow a CONCACAF team to take the CONMEBOL spot, even though you were invited into their competition. That effectively means you're sacrificing a potential CWC spot by playing in the Libertadores over the CCL - though the rep boost for winning the Libertadores must be worth it.

I beat Argentinos in the final of Libertadores, and yes they played in the CWC along with Cruz Azul from my league who won the CONCACAF. So it looks like I won the wrong one pfft! Had a season in it in me first season as America had won CONCACAF the year before I went there, the board expected Semi's n they ended up with a sound kicking in the final, which they didnt mind.

Mike: I always start with myself as second nationality spanish in every game I've ever started on FM, based on what me long term plans are...I usually only play 1 save game from one version to the next. I've just looked and it says I can speak french also (was at Notts Co for 11 seasons before I came to Mexico, with a pretty much all english squad, so I dont quite know where that comes from) and basic portuguese.

Do it Mike its fantastic, never a dull fortnight. Thats going some in any league.

Yeah the azteca is what took me to America rather than any of the others. And maybe is why flamengo has always tempted me ;)

I must say tho the nickname was grinding my teeth til I removed the (MEX)

Did the team you beat in the Libertadores final go to the CWC instead? I imagine the game won't allow a CONCACAF team to take the CONMEBOL spot, even though you were invited into their competition. That effectively means you're sacrificing a potential CWC spot by playing in the Libertadores over the CCL - though the rep boost for winning the Libertadores must be worth it.

It happens in real life. Although only one Mexican team has ever managed to get to a Libertadores final, they were denied the spot in the World Cup even if they won. Cruz Azul was that team.

And yes the Mexican league has playoffs at the end of each Apertura and Clausura....It generates revenue for the smaller teams....And all those little torunaments popping up throughout the year are considered money makers. If you notice, alot of those tournaments are in the USA. We always pack those stadiums even when teams take extremely weakened teams to these friendlies and cups. One coach once famously stated "They pay first division money for third division football"

I know quite a bit of Mexican football so if you have any questions just ask.

A good team to be is Santos Laguna, their new stadium is spectacular. And apart from that, Torreon is a beautiful city and in my opinion have the best looking women in Mexico.

I played a few seasons with Atlas on FM09- thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Deportivo la Coruna then took a chance on me, so I left.

Guadalajara is a beautiful city as well- I picked Atlas because I went to a few of their matches when I was in town.

Archived