ME too realistic / rest of game too fantastic

With the advent of 10.3, it seems that SI have gone too realistic in the ME, wanting to try and emulate stats that appear irl, i.e goals very rarely scored from corners, crosses from wide positions to strikers centreish seldom resulting in a headed goal, etc etc. Matches apparently resulting in less goals than ever. 0-0 1-1 2-1 (2-2 at a push) anyone ? 20-25 goals a season for your main strikers is now a great season, when in the past a great season on a CM/FM would have been over 100. Cricket scorelines seldom achieved (mainly due to the fact that coding literally makes your players stop trying after a few goals have gone in)

It all adds up to the impression that SI are trying to make the ME too realistic whilst at the same time leaving the rest of the game in utter fantasy land. For example winning CL with Apoel Nicosia etc, Premiership with any club other than the (current) big 4. Players signing for 5, 10 pounds per week out of loyalty or whatever other reason. Great players signing for anyone instead of just the world's recognised top clubs. Taking a local club from a v low tier to success in their relative top division in consecutive seasons. Buying great players for nothing and spreading the payments out over however many months. Instantly taking control of the worlds top clubs at start of game with no previous managerial experience.

The game seems to be rapidly losing any long term playability due to the ME, (scraping 1-0 win after 1-0 win is hardly riveting stuff us it)

The game seems to be rapidly losing any long term playability due to the ME, (scraping 1-0 win after 1-0 win is hardly riveting stuff us it)

I disagree - I find a close match quite literally has me on the edge of my seat. I'm happier with things being more realistic.

Sounds like the right sort of balance to me. Having a realistic match experience whilst baing able to do the fun things like, buy players, manage a big team, take a small teams onto bigger things.

I guess some people are never heppy :(

People will complain about anything :( Can;t be perfect in everything mate. Try playing some other manager game then come back and see how things are :D

Yeah i get annoyed because i can`t score from corners but i suppose i will have to put up with that, it is a good job that the rest of the game is soooo good.

With the advent of 10.3, it seems that SI have gone too realistic in the ME, wanting to try and emulate stats that appear irl, i.e goals very rarely scored from corners, crosses from wide positions to strikers centreish seldom resulting in a headed goal, etc etc.

What are you talking about, many of my goals are the result of crosses from my wingers to my strikers in the center, I am not joking, I don't get what some people complain about ... also the corners, I get still a decent (last season 14 in 38 games) amount of goals from corners ... maybe it's your tactic or your players (height?).

Some of you people should first try to play different before complaining about something ...

Still I haven't changed my tactic offense wise in 10.3, they actually score even MORE from these occasions.

I can't understand why you're complaining about the game being more realistic.

Haven't you considered that there may be a conflict between 'realism' and playability/entertainment?

It may be 'realistic' to find that you grind out 1-0 wins in a fairly tedious way but that isn't actually a whole lot of fun to do.

Football Manager is supposed to be a computer GAME - ie to be FUN to play. Unfortunately, because of the continuous search for 'realism' it too frequently appears arbitrary and unresponsive to player input. Various features (eg team talks, press conferences) which do not appear to be grounded in logic seem to have a disproportionate effect on results.

This is the first post which I have made since getting FM 2010. I remember many people making similar points in numerous threads about FM 2009 though. It seems clear to me that SI have not taken any of those concerns on board - they have continued to sacrifice fun for alleged 'realism' in FM 2010. It's for this reason that I doubt very much if I will be getting FM 2011 - I've more or less given up hoping that things might change. No doubt we will continue to have new 'features' that very few people really seem to want while the weaknesses of the current game continue to fail to be addressed. I have enough 'realism' in my everyday life - I play computer games for fun and relaxation and, to be frank, FM provides neither in sufficient quantities for me to be value for money.

Haven't you considered that there may be a conflict between 'realism' and playability/entertainment?

It may be 'realistic' to find that you grind out 1-0 wins in a fairly tedious way but that isn't actually a whole lot of fun to do.

Football Manager is supposed to be a computer GAME - ie to be FUN to play. Unfortunately, because of the continuous search for 'realism' it too frequently appears arbitrary and unresponsive to player input. Various features (eg team talks, press conferences) which do not appear to be grounded in logic seem to have a disproportionate effect on results.

This is the first post which I have made since getting FM 2010. I remember many people making similar points in numerous threads about FM 2009 though. It seems clear to me that SI have not taken any of those concerns on board - they have continued to sacrifice fun for alleged 'realism' in FM 2010. It's for this reason that I doubt very much if I will be getting FM 2011 - I've more or less given up hoping that things might change. No doubt we will continue to have new 'features' that very few people really seem to want while the weaknesses of the current game continue to fail to be addressed. I have enough 'realism' in my everyday life - I play computer games for fun and relaxation and, to be frank, FM provides neither in sufficient quantities for me to be value for money.

SI have responded to the many number of posts complaining that the game isn't realistic enough with too many 8-0 and 5-5 scorelines, so it becomes more realistic and still they get people complaining.

Personally I would much rather grind out 3 one-nil wins in a row than have 3 six-five wins in a row.

Also have to question your earlier point about being able to take a low tier team up to the top and win trophies; surely this is a fun part of the game which you are talking about? If you couldn't get Yeovil promoted from League One and just flirted with relegation season after season then you would get bored, no?

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds.

SI have responded to the many number of posts complaining that the game isn't realistic enough with too many 8-0 and 5-5 scorelines, so it becomes more realistic and still they get people complaining.

Personally I would much rather grind out 3 one-nil wins in a row than have 3 six-five wins in a row.

Also have to question your earlier point about being able to take a low tier team up to the top and win trophies; surely this is a fun part of the game which you are talking about? If you couldn't get Yeovil promoted from League One and just flirted with relegation season after season then you would get bored, no?

Actually, I didn't make any 'earlier point'. Are you confusing me with the OP?

My point is simple enough - realism doesn't always equate to playability.

I'm sure the stats show that the overall results for human and AI teams closely equate to 'reality'. That doesn't really mean that much to me. I view FM as a game and judge it by the criterion of how much entertainment/'fun' it provides me. To be honest, the answer (for me) is 'not as much as it should do' and I put that down to an over concentration on 'realism' as opposed to playability qualities.

What are you talking about, many of my goals are the result of crosses from my wingers to my strikers in the center, I am not joking, I don't get what some people complain about ... also the corners, I get still a decent (last season 14 in 38 games) amount of goals from corners ... maybe it's your tactic or your players (height?).

Some of you people should first try to play different before complaining about something ...

Still I haven't changed my tactic offense wise in 10.3, they actually score even MORE from these occasions.

i think it's because you're using the 10.2 database with the 10.3 engine. In other words the AI managers are using tactics suited to 10.2 when they should be using tactics suited to 10.3. When you restart the game you'll see what everyone is complaining about.

Same as I said to other person. I believe you using the 10.2 database from your save with the new 10.3 match engine so opposijng managers are all using tactics that don't work. Start a new game and see if you still have very high scoring games.

With the advent of 10.3, it seems that SI have gone too realistic in the ME, wanting to try and emulate stats that appear irl, i.e goals very rarely scored from corners, crosses from wide positions to strikers centreish seldom resulting in a headed goal, etc etc. Matches apparently resulting in less goals than ever. 0-0 1-1 2-1 (2-2 at a push) anyone ? 20-25 goals a season for your main strikers is now a great season, when in the past a great season on a CM/FM would have been over 100. Cricket scorelines seldom achieved (mainly due to the fact that coding literally makes your players stop trying after a few goals have gone in)

It all adds up to the impression that SI are trying to make the ME too realistic whilst at the same time leaving the rest of the game in utter fantasy land. For example winning CL with Apoel Nicosia etc, Premiership with any club other than the (current) big 4. Players signing for 5, 10 pounds per week out of loyalty or whatever other reason. Great players signing for anyone instead of just the world's recognised top clubs. Taking a local club from a v low tier to success in their relative top division in consecutive seasons. Buying great players for nothing and spreading the payments out over however many months. Instantly taking control of the worlds top clubs at start of game with no previous managerial experience.

I just got hammered 5-1 :(.....two of Chelski's goals came from corners, Casanova scoring both!! Oh how I boooo'd

Actually, I didn't make any 'earlier point'. Are you confusing me with the OP?

My point is simple enough - realism doesn't always equate to playability.

I'm sure the stats show that the overall results for human and AI teams closely equate to 'reality'. That doesn't really mean that much to me. I view FM as a game and judge it by the criterion of how much entertainment/'fun' it provides me. To be honest, the answer (for me) is 'not as much as it should do' and I put that down to an over concentration on 'realism' as opposed to playability qualities.

ATM the FM series reminds me of an old formula 1 sim, to be realistic, each track was actually modelled on the real life track, tyres only lasted a certain number of laps, each lap of the track took the same amount of time as in real life too, with the end result being that 1 race took almost 2 hours to complete.

Was it realistic ? YES

Was it playable and enjoyable ? I will leave that up to you to answer.

Has it every occurred to you guys wanting playability>realism that others feel the opposite?

I for one enjoy the challenge and am happy with the route SI are taking towards a realistic simulation.

See my post above yours, the formula 1 sim was realistic, but even a racing fan wouldn't want to play SUCH realism on a regular basis. And that's the way SI will go too with FM, a realistic ME, but a fanbase who shun newer versions in favour of their already bought versions from previous years which gave more fun/playability.

As for realistic, i have often seen in 10.3 (before i un-installed it to go back to 10.2) a defender track an opposition player running down the flank with the ball, then inexplicably run away from him and back to his predefined position, waiting for the guy who he has just run away from to finish his run and cross the ball.

You wouldn't even see such behaviour in a game between 5 yr olds, never mind in pro, semi-pro football.

Maybe SI should include a function in newer releases, that allows to turn on/off realism. Realism will give you your 1-0 scrappy wins, your teamtalks, your press conferences, and turning it off will give more scope for scoring more than a goal/couple of goals. Judging from the amount of posts on the forums every day that are in the majority 'negative' about various aspects of the game. I can already see which version of 'realism' the majority of people will choose.

Judging from the amount of posts on the forums every day that are in the majority 'negative' about various aspects of the game. I can already see which version of 'realism' the majority of people will choose.

People post because they have an issue with the game, the ones that don't, don't post.

If you looked closely at the threads it is a vocal minority compared to the amount of people who have bought FM.

Its also worth noting that many of the issues that are brought up are either not issues at all or of the users own creation because they refuse to adapt to the game.

I feel the balance between realism and playability in general is ok.

I really don't think that SI would ever go down the road of having a 'realism' tick box or a 'hard, medium, or easy' option as these have been debated on the forums numerous times.

Overall I feel FM10 is a good realistic game all be it with improvements needed. No other football mangement sim comes anywhere near the level of FM10 and although we all want the gme to improve I do think you have to be realistic as well.

See my post above yours, the formula 1 sim was realistic, but even a racing fan wouldn't want to play SUCH realism on a regular basis. And that's the way SI will go too with FM, a realistic ME, but a fanbase who shun newer versions in favour of their already bought versions from previous years which gave more fun/playability.

As for realistic, i have often seen in 10.3 (before i un-installed it to go back to 10.2) a defender track an opposition player running down the flank with the ball, then inexplicably run away from him and back to his predefined position, waiting for the guy who he has just run away from to finish his run and cross the ball.

You wouldn't even see such behaviour in a game between 5 yr olds, never mind in pro, semi-pro football.

Maybe SI should include a function in newer releases, that allows to turn on/off realism. Realism will give you your 1-0 scrappy wins, your teamtalks, your press conferences, and turning it off will give more scope for scoring more than a goal/couple of goals. Judging from the amount of posts on the forums every day that are in the majority 'negative' about various aspects of the game. I can already see which version of 'realism' the majority of people will choose.

I would bet my house that more people would choose realism over fun. Maybe in this forum there are a lot of negative posts, but other forums are thriving with people who love the game as it is. As Cougar2010 said, people without problems aren't posting.

Perhaps the General Discussion forum should be renamed to Negative Discussion?

if your not scorig enough goals then im sorry to say it but its your tactics. Look in the tactics forum at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=194633 for my screenshots of games using this tactic. Beat Pompy 9-0, beat Chelsea 6-2 and lost to Arsenal 6-5 to name a few. Lots of 3-0 and 4-0 wins.

Actually looking at most of the threads you have started, do you actually know how to play the game well? You make about 2 threads a day moaning about trivial things that seem to be affecting only you. The only conclusion I can see is that either you cant play the game or its your tactics. Either that or you just want to constantly moan and get your post count up?

i think it's because you're using the 10.2 database with the 10.3 engine. In other words the AI managers are using tactics suited to 10.2 when they should be using tactics suited to 10.3. When you restart the game you'll see what everyone is complaining about.
Same as I said to other person. I believe you using the 10.2 database from your save with the new 10.3 match engine so opposijng managers are all using tactics that don't work. Start a new game and see if you still have very high scoring games.

It has nothing to do with any database as the 10.3 bug fixes are applied regardless of what database is being used.

Football Manager is supposed to be a computer GAME - ie to be FUN to play

No, it's a Football Management Simulation.

The realism is down to you playing the game. If you sign all the wonderkids and hidden gems and then complain about winning easily, you've only got yourself to blame because having the knowledge of the best 10 signings in world football is unrealistic in itself.

Personally, I like the balance, the game is relatively realistic but allows you to do unrealistic things like winning leagues and cups with virtually any team. If this wasn't possible and you literally stayed in the same division, finishing in the same positions year after year, that would be FAR more tedious than winning consistently.

It has nothing to do with any database as the 10.3 bug fixes are applied regardless of what database is being used.

Yeah has nothing to do with that. AI managers have their tactical preferences in the DB, which might in some cases have changed. However researchers simply rate the managers as they are, they don't try and create a good tactic with the ratings.

It seems like the OP is making his own problems when really there aren't any there. There is not a huge difference between this one patch and the past 5 installments of FM. It seems like you've had a couple of bad games on it, decided it was awful, then gone back to 10.2 instead of experimenting with your tactics more. 10.3 for me is fine, I have no new issues with it, and 70 odd percent of people said that FM10 was a hit, there's no need to make massive changes on the back of this patch.

It seems like the OP is making his own problems when really there aren't any there. There is not a huge difference between this one patch and the past 5 installments of FM. It seems like you've had a couple of bad games on it, decided it was awful, then gone back to 10.2 instead of experimenting with your tactics more. 10.3 for me is fine, I have no new issues with it, and 70 odd percent of people said that FM10 was a hit, there's no need to make massive changes on the back of this patch.

No, it sound like the OP is whinging for the sake of whinging. A thread title like 'ME too realistic / rest of game too fantastic' is not actually a moan at all. In fact it's what the vast majority of players (in my opinion) want from a football management simulation and what sets FM apart from the chaff that is CM/FIFA Manager.

if your not scorig enough goals then im sorry to say it but its your tactics. Look in the tactics forum at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=194633 for my screenshots of games using this tactic. Beat Pompy 9-0, beat Chelsea 6-2 and lost to Arsenal 6-5 to name a few. Lots of 3-0 and 4-0 wins.

Actually looking at most of the threads you have started, do you actually know how to play the game well? You make about 2 threads a day moaning about trivial things that seem to be affecting only you. The only conclusion I can see is that either you cant play the game or its your tactics. Either that or you just want to constantly moan and get your post count up?

OFC i don't post to up a post count, I can't be bothered how many posts a person has/has not made. There arent any prizes for who can post the most.

And on 10.3, going a full lg season unbeaten and 15 games of the 2nd lg season unbeaten before a 1-0 loss, I would say I know how to play the game reasonably well, do the correct teamtalks/press conferences and employ quite decent tactics at the start of the match and use 'good' touchline shouts to get back on an even/winning keel if anything started to get pear shaped.

However, with 10.3, what really stuck in my craw was the almost complete lack of goals from corners by any team in the divisions i played, or headed goals from crosses (unless the latter was a cross to a wide midfielder who was practically stood on the goal-line and couldn't fail to miss from such a position).

Plus, and here i don't know whether it is 10.3 or just FM 2010 in general, (but never noticed before 10.3) 2 of my 3 strikers who were averaging better than a goal every one and a half games each, suddenly both went on a spree of 9 games (at the same time) without scoring for absolutely no reason whatsoever (as if maybe the ME was 'keeping down' the amount of goals they could score by season's end, so that they didn't go above 'acceptable limits of realism')

Granted, 10.2 wasn't perfect by any means, but i prefer the ME to allow the human player, and the AI opposition, the opportunity to score the few more (granted not tons more) goals from corners and crosses that 10.2 seemed to allow. Which imo makes for a more realistic game as with 10.3 you know if you recieve a cross/get a corner, you are almost guaranteed that you aren't going to score from them and neither is the opposition, which kind of takes away the suspense. Therefore with 10.3 and my observations of it, i couldn't see the point anymore of the heading/crossing/jumping/corner taking attributes. They may as well all have been set to 1 for all the difference higher than 1 seemed to make, and to me, to practically do away with 4 important attributes didn't seem 'realistic'.

OFC i don't post to up a post count, I can't be bothered how many posts a person has/has not made. There arent any prizes for who can post the most.

And on 10.3, going a full lg season unbeaten and 15 games of the 2nd lg season unbeaten before a 1-0 loss, I would say I know how to play the game reasonably well, do the correct teamtalks/press conferences and employ quite decent tactics at the start of the match and use 'good' touchline shouts to get back on an even/winning keel if anything started to get pear shaped.

However, with 10.3, what really stuck in my craw was the almost complete lack of goals from corners by any team in the divisions i played, or headed goals from crosses (unless the latter was a cross to a wide midfielder who was practically stood on the goal-line and couldn't fail to miss from such a position).

Plus, and here i don't know whether it is 10.3 or just FM 2010 in general, (but never noticed before 10.3) 2 of my 3 strikers who were averaging better than a goal every one and a half games each, suddenly both went on a spree of 9 games (at the same time) without scoring for absolutely no reason whatsoever (as if maybe the ME was 'keeping down' the amount of goals they could score by season's end, so that they didn't go above 'acceptable limits of realism')

Granted, 10.2 wasn't perfect by any means, but i prefer the ME to allow the human player, and the AI opposition, the opportunity to score the few more (granted not tons more) goals from corners and crosses that 10.2 seemed to allow. Which imo makes for a more realistic game as with 10.3 you know if you recieve a cross/get a corner, you are almost guaranteed that you aren't going to score from them and neither is the opposition, which kind of takes away the suspense. Therefore with 10.3 and my observations of it, i couldn't see the point anymore of the heading/crossing/jumping/corner taking attributes. They may as well all have been set to 1 for all the difference higher than 1 seemed to make, and to me, to practically do away with 4 important attributes didn't seem 'realistic'.

so you say you went a full season and 15 games into the next unbeaten and you say the ME is too realistic? I think you need to look at your argument again!

so you say you went a full season and 15 games into the next unbeaten and you say the ME is too realistic? I think you need to look at your argument again!

Not unrealistic as a feat as Arsenal showed irl a few years ago, went 50 games without loss in what is arguably the hardest lg in the world.

For 'realistic' you could also read 'too predictable', suspense seemed to disappear with 10.3. Make their players go out wide (in effect forcing them to cross the ball) and you knew you wouldn't be conceding, just restarting from a goal kick. Bring 6 to 7 players back for a corner, and you knew you wouldn't be conceding anything either. It seemed as though the opposition only really seemed to score past me at the strange times when my players were standing still and just watching them knock 10 or so passes together before picking the ball from the back of the net.

Going offtrack just slightly, my greatest experience was of CM4, usually if you scored 3 without reply, the AI would immediately employ a 5, 4, 1 formation that was extremely difficult to break down again, even with superstars playing mediocre opposition, and would only change it back to its original setting when another goal was scored after 60 mins, in order to try and keep the 'scores down'.

And likewise, sometimes when the AI went 1-0 up, they would use the tactic to try and close you out. Unfortunately, this just does not happen on 2010, as a 5, 4, 1 is just a recipe for conceding. Therefore the ME's uses new ways to keep the scores down, such as with 10.3, corners and crosses, and in general with 2010, your players simply stop playing, on the vast majority of occasions that they are well up. (I'm sure quite a few people can testify to how badly their team suddenly played the 2nd leg of a 2 leg affair after winning the 1st leg by a large number of goals, I know I can)

Still, it is each to their own choice, and after playing a reasonable amount of time on both 10.2, and 10.3, i seem to prefer the brand of realism that came with 10.2 (and it seems so do some others)

Not unrealistic as a feat as Arsenal showed irl a few years ago, went 50 games without loss in what is arguably the hardest lg in the world.

For 'realistic' you could also read 'too predictable', suspense seemed to disappear with 10.3. Make their players go out wide (in effect forcing them to cross the ball) and you knew you wouldn't be conceding, just restarting from a goal kick. Bring 6 to 7 players back for a corner, and you knew you wouldn't be conceding anything either. It seemed as though the opposition only really seemed to score past me at the strange times when my players were standing still and just watching them knock 10 or so passes together before picking the ball from the back of the net.

Going offtrack just slightly, my greatest experience was of CM4, usually if you scored 3 without reply, the AI would immediately employ a 5, 4, 1 formation that was extremely difficult to break down again, even with superstars playing mediocre opposition, and would only change it back to its original setting when another goal was scored after 60 mins, in order to try and keep the 'scores down'.

And likewise, sometimes when the AI went 1-0 up, they would use the tactic to try and close you out. Unfortunately, this just does not happen on 2010, as a 5, 4, 1 is just a recipe for conceding. Therefore the ME's uses new ways to keep the scores down, such as with 10.3, corners and crosses, and in general with 2010, your players simply stop playing, on the vast majority of occasions that they are well up. (I'm sure quite a few people can testify to how badly their team suddenly played the 2nd leg of a 2 leg affair after winning the 1st leg by a large number of goals, I know I can)

Still, it is each to their own choice, and after playing a reasonable amount of time on both 10.2, and 10.3, i seem to prefer the brand of realism that came with 10.2 (and it seems so do some others)

how did I know you would bring Arsenal up :rolleyes: Can you name the last time it happened before that? Probably not. Why? Because it almost never happens. So wouldn't you say it isnt realistic that the game would allow a team to do it again so soon after the last time?

You never said the ME was too predictable. That is a completely different argument.

Oh and for the record, Arsenal went 49 games unbeaten. They lost to Man Utd in the 50th :cool:

how did I know you would bring Arsenal up :rolleyes: Can you name the last time it happened before that? Probably not. Why? Because it almost never happens. So wouldn't you say it isnt realistic that the game would allow a team to do it again so soon after the last time?

You never said the ME was too predictable. That is a completely different argument.

Oh and for the record, Arsenal went 49 games unbeaten. They lost to Man Utd in the 50th :cool:

Yeah, i realised that mistake after posting. Previous time it was done (at least in england), was by Notts Forest who went 42 games unbeaten over 2 seasons before losing circa 77/78 if i remember corectly

I am not having any of these problems :S Made new game as the patch come out with the new database.

Scored 4 corner goals in 5 games, won 3-1, 4-0, 5-2 then 4-0 again in my last 4 prem games against strongish opposition. I am still thoroughly enjoying the game though! Even if it seems to be a bit easier this patch (might just be me getting lucky).

That's an example of a high scoring game, but not of the frequency of high scoring games. Therefore it proves nothing and renders your post pointless. Try again. :rolleyes:

I thought the 'here's one example' would have given it away that it was just one example of what he is experiencing?

Evidently not :rolleyes:

not really. Man Utd/Chelsea are a lot better than most teams in the Premier League but dont win 4-0, 5-0 or 6-0 every week do they.

I have to agree here.

I think the more realistic this game is becoming, then the better. I don't mean to slate any other football management game, but I'd say look at Fifa Manager for instance, you get married and buy houses to let out and cars (which have completley no relevance to football) & on the other hand the scores in the game.. there completley beserk! You are almost garunteed to win by like 15+ goals if you play a non league side with a premier league side. There are some teams that would put up a pretty good battle & this goes by team rating, where as football manager takes tons and tons of factors into consideration. The game in my eyes, cannot improve in the matter of match results, because for me SI have nailed it!

No, it's a Football Management Simulation.

That sums up the apparently irreconcilable differences in outlook which have emerged in this thread.

However, it's interesting to note that on the back of the FM 2010 box (check for yourself) the following appears:

'Kings of the genre Sports Interactive with 17 years and 8 UK No.1 football management games under their belts are back.

Following Football Manager 2009 being voted the greatest football game of all time in a BBC Radio 1 poll......'

Now if SI themselves are describing it as a game, it seems to me that it's not unreasonable to view it as such, somehow!

Archived