My favourite thing about the 3-d match engine (just discovered)

It is an excellent tool for explaining (and demonstrating) the offside rule to women.

Im lost in translation with your op, please elaborate and explain what you mean as clarity is lacking here.

Im lost in translation with your op, please elaborate and explain what you mean as clarity is lacking here.

I believe he means that the offside rule, which is incredibly hard to teach to the majority of women, is better explained with the help of the ME.

God knows I've tried to explain it using physical objects and they still don't understand. I in turn cannot understand how women so universally cannot grasp the concept of something thats really not that complicated. God forbid we start talking about backpasses.

God knows I've tried to explain it using physical objects and they still don't understand. I in turn cannot understand how women so universally cannot grasp the concept of something thats really not that complicated. God forbid we start talking about backpasses.

Not even some guys can understand backpasses. :p

I tried showing my girlfriend the offside rule with ketchup bottles. I was actually quite disappointed when she managed to get it on only the 2nd walkthrough...

lol i don`t think 99.99% of women will ever understand the offside rule... better not mention backpasses:D

Ah ok now that explains things, most of the women i have been with couldn't stand football and as for the offside rule it didnt matter as i gave the women the red card :D

It makes me think how lucky I am to have a girl that understands. :p

The best moment so far is me asking if she would like to go out for dinner and a movie (a date), and her saying "nah, let's go to a match". :D

free tickets?:D

what position does she play?

You don't need tickets to go to most of the women's football matches. For instance, Spurs played Arsenal last week, and we all got to see it for free. :)

GK/RB

I sometimes put her in the game. ;)

sorry mate, i was talking to you and playing FM (relegation scrap):)

It's cool. Hope you stay up. :thup:

yep of course i have lol.

Then you must have either been explaining it to well-trained women, or you have some secret explaining weapon the rest of us don't.

basically there has to be at least 2 players of the defending team infront of the attacking player as the ball is played forward. otherwise the attacking player is offside. see easy.

What if he's playing with is back to goal? Then he'll have loads of players in front of him.

I explained it to my wife using my daughter's "Littlest Pet Shop" and "Little People" figurines. Pausing live TV also can help. There really isn't much to the backpass rule; my wife got that pretty much immediately.

Brill, there is still hope *prays*:D

Er, not to rain on everyone's parade here, but would I not be right in thinking that significant numbers of "football fans" the length and breadth of the country (including loads blokes) fail to grasp many basic laws of the game, including (but limited to) offside, backpasses, foul throws and tackling.

I'm a woman (last time I checked).

I understand offside, backpasses and all the other things that folk love to make stereotypical jokes about.

Being honest, I slightly cringed when someone asked on these forums not long after the release of FM10 what an inside forward was.

Er, not to rain on everyone's parade here, but would I not be right in thinking that significant numbers of "football fans" the length and breadth of the country (including loads blokes) fail to grasp many basic laws of the game, including (but limited to) offside, backpasses, foul throws and tackling.

I'm a woman (last time I checked).

I understand offside, backpasses and all the other things that folk love to make stereotypical jokes about.

Being honest, I slightly cringed when someone asked on these forums not long after the release of FM10 what an inside forward was.

Whats an inside forward?

I've always found this explanation is best for the ladies -

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The 'opposing' female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire.

Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper,

catch the purse and buy the shoes.

Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.

I've always found this explanation is best for the ladies -

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The 'opposing' female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire.

Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper,

catch the purse and buy the shoes.

Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.

*applauds*

Pure quality, mate. :thup:

Not even some guys can understand backpasses.

I tried showing my girlfriend the offside rule with ketchup bottles. I was actually quite disappointed when she managed to get it on only the 2nd walkthrough...

That's not bad....really....my wife still can't see the difference when Rooney play for both MU and England.

Pretty embarrasing thread this and disappointing that its lasted here so long.

Why is it embarrassing?

It's just some guys have a laugh with the stereotypical view that women don’t understand football.

If you are saying it’s embarrassing due to people still having that stereotypical view than I think you will find most of the people are being tongue in cheek (at least that’s what it feels like to me)

Why is it embarrassing?

It's just some guys have a laugh with the stereotypical view that women don’t understand football.

If you are saying it’s embarrassing due to people still having that stereotypical view than I think you will find most of the people are being tongue in cheek (at least that’s what it feels like to me)

Sorry but I think it is sexist, and I don't find sexism any more amusing than racism.

This is a great community which has terrific discussions, I think its embarrasing and disappointing that it lowers itself to a thread like this. If my comments upsets some people, well, so they should.

Btw from SI's point of view, the OP is, tongue in cheek or not, aimed at 50% of your total potential market. Given that SI are probably, at least in the UK market, near saturation point for their initial target market, I'm sure they'd want people here to post in a way so that their forums enable them to embrace the remainder of their potential market.

Sorry but I think it is sexist, and I don't find sexism any more amusing than racism.

Fair enough. I don’t find sexism amusing either but I don’t really think you can classify this as sexism can you? It’s a couple of guys having a joke, admittedly at the expense of women, bit I think you can only classify this as sexism if you took it to the absolute degree. I think you will find that nobody that was making the joke was in any way trying to belittle women.

Archived