headers over the bar

I know this has been picked up on before, but has anyone found a way of increasing your strikers chances of not hopelessly heading the ball over all the time? My main problem with this is that it badly impacts on your strikers' ratings (just saw drogs head four gilt chances over the bar from inside the six yard area - four shots, four misses, left him with a rating of 5.6).

of course it could just be that he had a bad game! ive only played a few months on 10.3 and ive noticed how many headers go over, but for those that have played further, could this just be a tweak to the ME to ensure that you dont see an unrealsitic number of headed goals? I.e. do you still score a reasonable proportion of goals from headed-in crosses?

I'm in my third season and only now have my players managed to remember that hitting the target helps when heading the ball. Made no adjustments to my tactics just seems that they have gotten a little better at it. Bizarre.

yeah i am having trouble scoring as well mate, not sure what to do to start scoring from corners.

Best thing to do would be to play the game using 10.2 :D

At least with the superkeeper, you STILL scored from some of the through balls, on 10.3 you score with nothing. No through balls, no headers, corners etc. It seems to be a conspiracy to get every match to end with the 3 most common scores irl 0-0 1-1 2-1

Best thing to do would be to play the game using 10.2 :D

At least with the superkeeper, you STILL scored from some of the through balls, on 10.3 you score with nothing. No through balls, no headers, corners etc. It seems to be a conspiracy to get every match to end with the 3 most common scores irl 0-0 1-1 2-1

That probably has a lot to do with tactics. I'm getting quite a few 4-3, 3-1 whether it be my way or the opponent's way. I actually feel that I score a lot more often and also concede more often with 10.3.

as for the headers, I guess you should encourage your player to try more shots from feet rather than head, as it seems that 10.3 favours dribblers.

It's not exactly fair that the target man strikers won't perform as well, but I guess that's just how it is in the game.

I'm in my third season and only now have my players managed to remember that hitting the target helps when heading the ball. Made no adjustments to my tactics just seems that they have gotten a little better at it. Bizarre.

I'm still awaiting a first headed goal from Cahill in 2 seasons. He got 1 bullet on target so far this season and hit the post once. Can't wait until he improves in season 3 ;)

tell your wingers to cross less often. Telling them not to aim at target man but instead mix up crosses might help. Seems like header from middle of goal never go in.

That's so typical of a 'finished' FM game. The final ME is complete suckage and everyone has to end up playing the same kind of game to get goals - lame.

So strikers can't score from crosses and you know they will head over the bar but the game is 'finished' - well done!

That's so typical of a 'finished' FM game. The final ME is complete suckage and everyone has to end up playing the same kind of game to get goals - lame.

So strikers can't score from crosses and you know they will head over the bar but the game is 'finished' - well done!

It's fair to say that the game is not without problems, but you are just recycling other people's problems to bad mouth the game.

We are all just making comments based on our own experience, and it may be that we are all wrong and the problem was in the tactics, who knows?

It's really not constructive in any way to rehash other people's problems to complain further.

What I've noticed in 10.3:

1. Very very rare to see a goal directly from a corner, except a near post header.

2. crosses from near the goal line never result in goals, except...

2.5 ones that almost go directly over the keeper and gets headed in from 2 yards out

3. crosses from deeper positions seem to work better

I'm still awaiting a first headed goal from Cahill in 2 seasons. He got 1 bullet on target so far this season and hit the post once. Can't wait until he improves in season 3 ;)

Funnily enough the first goal I conceeded on 10.3 was a bullet header from cahill. I just cant seem to do it myself!

What I've noticed in 10.3:

1. Very very rare to see a goal directly from a corner, except a near post header.

2. crosses from near the goal line never result in goals, except...

2.5 ones that almost go directly over the keeper and gets headed in from 2 yards out

3. crosses from deeper positions seem to work better

Interesting...my wing backs are set to get to the byeline and cross to the middle, so I may try mixing their cross from settings and see how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

My two world class wingers are utterly useless crossing the ball. Both skin their fullbacks all game and send in great looking crosses that never connect. My cross percentage is usually down around 10%. The past game my 2 wingers were 0/14 and 2/13 respectively. Watching the game it looks like I'm completely killing the opposition, but so many of of my best movements end up with a wasted cross.

I don't know what to think. Tell them to stop crossing so much and hope they go for passes and or dribble into the box instead?

My two world class wingers are utterly useless crossing the ball. Both skin their fullbacks all game and send in great looking crosses that never connect. My cross percentage is usually down around 10%. The past game my 2 wingers were 0/14 and 2/13 respectively. Watching the game it looks like I'm completely killing the opposition, but so many of of my best movements end up with a wasted cross.

I don't know what to think. Tell them to stop crossing so much and hope they go for passes and or dribble into the box instead?

Yeah hope they do some cut backs or square balls. Unfortunately the positioning of the strikers in those situations is quite poor so that doesn't work very often either. Seems like it's far more useful having creative central midfielders than wingers.

Op, ever since 10.3 ive noticed this too. i dont look at the boards much so i didnt get the idea of looking for it from the boards. i just noticed it independently, objectively. I notice that the foward/offensive player seems to always win those headers close to the goal, instead of the defender winning most of them, but that despite winning a ridiculous amount of them, the offensive player also misses a ridiculous amount of them.

Op, ever since 10.3 ive noticed this too. i dont look at the boards much so i didnt get the idea of looking for it from the boards. i just noticed it independently, objectively. I notice that the foward/offensive player seems to always win those headers close to the goal, instead of the defender winning most of them, but that despite winning a ridiculous amount of them, the offensive player also misses a ridiculous amount of them.

I started a thread which partly dealt with this issue earlier. from the goals I saw (from watching goal highlights of other matches in division) only 10% of goals came from headers compared to 18% irl (English Premeir League). If you add to that the fact that strikers are probably winning twice as many headers as in real life and the set piece rate is not as out as open play the open play heading issue is really obvious, noticeable.

From watching lower divisions I noticed the problem was not so bad so guessed that it was more down to the marking abilities of defenders than to anything to do with strikers so I changed all Chelsea's defenders to jumping 5 and still they only conceeded 10 goals in 20 games. Shows that as long as there's a little pressure on the attacker (a defender is nearby) it doesn't matter how often the striker wins the ball or by how much he leaps above the defender he's going to miss the target 90%+ of the time.

For those who say heading is really difficult that doesn't cut it. someone posted stats of the same league showing about 30% of headed attempts at goal = goals. Sure it is difficult to get headers on target sometimes but headers are notoriously difficult to save...due to the angle the ball is going at and how close to goal headers come from.

In my opinion wing player is far more broken now than in 10.2 yet the complaints are met with deathly silence other than the "There will be no patch 10.4" mantra.

I don't see a problem with headers in 1.3.

I don't understand what are people complaining about.

Crosses are much better than 1.2 and the target-man has a use again.

If you are not using "the corner exploit" headers from corners are as realistic as it can be. I score 4-8 corner goals per season.

About 20% of my goals are headers but I have short poacher and my good header is set to hold up ball and play as complete forward. I also play 4-1-3-2 with no wingers.

If all headers were on target my players make, I'd score at least 5 goals every match, it's pretty realistic... my team is based on tall players as I feel it's a BIG advantage in FM even with so many headers skimming the crossbar :p

I don't see a problem with headers in 1.3.

I don't understand what are people complaining about.

Crosses are much better than 1.2 and the target-man has a use again.

If you are not using "the corner exploit" headers from corners are as realistic as it can be. I score 4-8 corner goals per season.

About 20% of my goals are headers but I have short poacher and my good header is set to hold up ball and play as complete forward. I also play 4-1-3-2 with no wingers.

I don't know if all headers are issues, but successfully heading in goals as a result of wing play is brutal. I don't know whether it is an issue with heading, crossing or player movement (forwards making runs to get open). Based on how I see it (which can definitely be guess work) it looks like my attacking player movement in the box is pathetic. They never get free headers - always have a defender pasted to them. So most of my crosses are cleared by defenders.

It could be you're simply not seeing this because you don't use wingers. My fullbacks actually are pretty successfully with their drop crosses - it is only the wingers pushing towards the endline that struggle.

Archived