10.3 = 4 goals from 229 corners against mediocre opposition

Since the implementation of 10.3, I played a season, went undefeated in lg (tier 7) and scored just 4 goals from 229 corners in those 40 league games against defenders and goalkeepers who were very weak compared to the ability of my corner taker, and the jumping/heading abilities of my 3 strikers and 3 defenders.

Strikers positioned as stand on far post, near post flick on, challenge goalkeeper, and defenders positioned as 2 attacking far post and the other attacking near post.

Corners directed as 6 yard box since that is the vicinity of where all the players were stood.

Now just those 4 goals wasn't due to the fact that they didn't win many headers, in fact, they won the majority of them, but on virtually every occasion, the headed ball went over the bar, rather than on target.

Meaning the success rate of scoring corners against mediocre opponents/players was just 1.75 %

As stated, nothing to do with tactics, since the majority of headers were won. And even doubling the percentage to give the opposition the benefit of the doubt and call every header 50/50. Still only gives 3.5% which to me seems incredibly small given the danger, panic, confusion that corners pose IRL football.

Also crosses since 10.3 seems to be a completely unfunctional attribute for the same reason as above, the headed ball just goes over the bar. Again, completely unrealistic given the danger, confusion, panic that crossed balls cause IRL.

Yes 10.3 has removed the super keepers situation. But it has completely broken headed balls of any kind. And with it destroyed the need for a player with a high corner taking attribute, player with a high jumping/heading attribute, player with a high crossing attribute. And removed the most valuable commodity in CM/FM, a powerful striker who is also a class finisher and dribbler.

Let me just clarify something here. I'm not arguing with what you are experiencing nor the fact that you are seeing your players win the majority of corners yet fail to score. I'm just giving some real life stats. Also worth noting I do not know precisely how a goal from a corner is measured so if any Chelsea fans who see them week in week out want to dispute the numbers, by all means do so.

Chelsea considered to have multiple aerial threats re big men (Drogba, Terry, Ballack, Ivanovic not exactly small men)

According to Opta Stats:-

Chelsea (as of 25 Feb this season)

Matches played 27

Corners won 221

Goals from corners 2

=> 0.9%

which equates to 1.8% for the 50/50 approximation you used.

Obviously there all kinds of ways you can refute these statistics by comparison to your argument which is fair enough, but I'm just throwing it out there that maybe what you think should happen isn't necessarily what actually happens in real life football (if you want to take that as an insult and give me a mouthful, feel free to do so, but it genuinely isn't intended as an insult but an observation of human perception and fixed beliefs about football).

Let me just clarify something here. I'm not arguing with what you are experiencing nor the fact that you are seeing your players win the majority of corners yet fail to score. I'm just giving some real life stats. Also worth noting I do not know precisely how a goal from a corner is measured so if any Chelsea fans who see them week in week out want to dispute the numbers, by all means do so.

Chelsea considered to have multiple aerial threats re big men (Drogba, Terry, Ballack, Ivanovic not exactly small men)

According to Opta Stats:-

Chelsea (as of 25 Feb this season)

Matches played 27

Corners won 221

Goals from corners 2

=> 0.9%

which equates to 1.8% for the 50/50 approximation you used.

Obviously there all kinds of ways you can refute these statistics by comparison to your argument which is fair enough, but I'm just throwing it out there that maybe what you think should happen isn't necessarily what actually happens in real life football (if you want to take that as an insult and give me a mouthful, feel free to do so, but it genuinely isn't intended as an insult but an observation of human perception and fixed beliefs about football).

No offence of any sort taken :) WOW Chelsea REALLY suck at corners don't they :D OFC I refuse to use the cheat for corners, i will just have to try and find a way to pop more goals in from them without the need for a header, given the large number i get each match

(Sigh, longs for the days I could stick 1 powerful striker to challenge goalie on CM4 and stand a decent chance of scoring )

isuckatfm, I think the problem is not the actual success rate from corners but rather the ratio of headers on/off target. It's very hard to actually win a header from a corner in reality, most corners simply get cleared or fail to reach anyone in the box. It's relatively easy to get your players to win most headers in FM mostly because physical play in the form of jostling and fighting for a good position doesn't exist in the ME. So it has to compensate somehow.

isuckatfm, I think the problem is not the actual success rate from corners but rather the ratio of headers on/off target. It's very hard to actually win a header from a corner in reality, most corners simply get cleared or fail to reach anyone in the box. It's relatively easy to get your players to win most headers in FM mostly because physical play in the form of jostling and fighting for a good position doesn't exist in the ME. So it has to compensate somehow.

That's why I put the starting clarification in. I do kind of agree with you but the problem is it is next to impossible to get specific stats from general googling, and without stats to back it up it will always be a subjective anecdote. In other words if the match engine coders are happy with it then it will be a struggle to convince them otherwise, especially with the frequency of random rants on the forums.

I don't believe there is currently collision detection in the match engine (based on 3D players 'moving through each other') which I'm guessing is what you are getting at in describing the lack of jostling. Hopefully it is in the development pipeline.

That's why I put the starting clarification in. I do kind of agree with you but the problem is it is next to impossible to get specific stats from general googling, and without stats to back it up it will always be a subjective anecdote. In other words if the match engine coders are happy with it then it will be a struggle to convince them otherwise, especially with the frequency of random rants on the forums.

I don't believe there is currently collision detection in the match engine (based on 3D players 'moving through each other') which I'm guessing is what you are getting at in describing the lack of jostling. Hopefully it is in the development pipeline.

With no collision detection at present then, how is a foul assessed ?

No offence of any sort taken :) WOW Chelsea REALLY suck at corners don't they :D OFC I refuse to use the cheat for corners, i will just have to try and find a way to pop more goals in from them without the need for a header, given the large number i get each match

(Sigh, longs for the days I could stick 1 powerful striker to challenge goalie on CM4 and stand a decent chance of scoring )

*tactical spoiler*

The general consensus in the Tactics forum for corners without using the 'expoits' seems to be the idea of trying to isolate your players for 1 v 1. So throw as many bodies forward and get a decent distribution in terms of what you have them set to do. Can't comment on it myself though as I haven't been usng this method long enough.

i think the problem is the ME showing highlights of corners where they really shouldn't be. A cross comes in....headed away...played out to wing...cross...headed away again. If this didn't happen a few times per game it wouldn't seem like an issue.

There was never a corner bug, it never excisted and was made up of bad tactic instructions by many people, once you sorted that out there was no conceeding all these corner goals what people complained about.

There was never a corner bug, it never excisted and was made up of bad tactic instructions by many people, once you sorted that out there was no conceeding all these corner goals what people complained about.

The corner bug never existed? Nemanja Vidic as my top goal-scorer for six consecutive seasons in FM08 begs to differ :p

Apologies was basing my facts on human vs human interaction and not human vs AI, in that case the AI coding was lame in fm08 but that version sucked for me and the game has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Last season, Hull scored the most goals from corners - 10; that's one in four games - and that's the most of any team in the PL. The most any team conceded from corners (which is counting the same thing, essentially) was 7 - less than one in five games. Haven't found any full figures for all teams (or the average), but it seems likely from this that the average number of goals per team from corners over a season is probably around 5, at the most. As an outlier, 2 therefore isn't very extreme.

I'm not sure Man Utd have scored from corners this season at all, at least not scoring from a header directly.

That being said without Vidic our arial presence is Rooney, Ferdinand, Fletcher and Berbatov (who should really get Gary Bailey's nickname since he not only looks like Dracula but is also scared of crosses).

Apologies was basing my facts on human vs human interaction and not human vs AI, in that case the AI coding was lame in fm08 but that version sucked for me and the game has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Even on FM10 a bug allows 20+ (rough estimate) goals a season from the edge of the area from corners

Last season (patched 10.3 in september) I had 14 corner goals in 38 games. This season I have scored 3 in 13, so I'm going to 12 probably again, I just use same setup as I did since I started FM10, put tall gay at far post, aim far post, sounds logical right? I don't understand all this whining about corners ... I always felt that corners were a bit like cheating, but getting a corner is your work. In FM09 was 6 yard box and challenge keeper, now it's far post/far post, and now I read about even an exploit which I don't care about. Far post tall guy with good heading and jumping will be your topscorer in almost every case.

Agreed, easy to ignore. Just stating that there is still a bug there.

There's bugs in every game &always will be if you look hard enough.

I just find it funny that people moan about the lack of goals from corners when there's hardly any scored from corners in real life.

It's not SUPPOSED to be easy to score from corners. SI have done the right thing making it near-impossible.

I used to score from a corner every other game on 10.2, so I must have accidentally come across the bug. I'm pleased that now I hardly ever score from corners.

Only if you go looking for it.

Is it? In my last four games, I've scored four goals from corners, each of them played short-ish to my DC who is lurking near the penalty area. This is with my corner tactics left onthe default settings created by the Tactics Creator.

I'm not sure if this is what the corner bug is since I haven't looked it up. I suppose it's possible that I've just got extraordinarily lucky.

Is it? In my last four games, I've scored four goals from corners, each of them played short-ish to my DC who is lurking near the penalty area. This is with my corner tactics left onthe default settings created by the Tactics Creator.

I'm not sure if this is what the corner bug is since I haven't looked it up. I suppose it's possible that I've just got extraordinarily lucky.

Yeah, that is taking advantage of the bug. I have had to tweak the corners slightly to avoid taking advantage of it (basically, no one on 'attack near post'). 'Lurking' also seems to get too many goals, so I don't do that anymore either. Essentially my corners appear pretty pointless now - but I've still scored 3 times from corners in 12 games, keeping 3 men back (including both CBs), and (from memory) one on near post flick, one challenge keeper, one attack far post, and three attack from deep.

Heh, well, just as I read your reply the AI scored two against me using that method. Stupid Pique! I assume the AI probably uses the default corner settings, so I'll leave mine like that as well. Hopefully it should even out over the season.

Heh, well, just as I read your reply the AI scored two against me using that method. Stupid Pique! I assume the AI probably uses the default corner settings, so I'll leave mine like that as well. Hopefully it should even out over the season.

I haven't had the AI score against me like that; but I have every player bar the striker on the 'back' instruction (which works quite nicely now, you get a sort of half-zonal half-man system). Maybe it works better for picking up that near post player.

Last season (patched 10.3 in september) I had 14 corner goals in 38 games. This season I have scored 3 in 13, so I'm going to 12 probably again, I just use same setup as I did since I started FM10, put tall gay at far post, aim far post, sounds logical right? I don't understand all this whining about corners ... I always felt that corners were a bit like cheating, but getting a corner is your work. In FM09 was 6 yard box and challenge keeper, now it's far post/far post, and now I read about even an exploit which I don't care about. Far post tall guy with good heading and jumping will be your topscorer in almost every case.

The A.I managers are still using 10.2 tactics (because the database has not been patched for your game). Start a new game and you'll see a HUGE change.

Way too many of the highlights are shown as nothing corners, its quite boring.

I still score a good ammount of goals from corners tho. In patch 10.2 the problem was crossing, but now it seems heading is way down in terms of %. Way too many headers have no power and just go over the bar.

We used to make so many goals from corners in the past releases. I think the number OP mentioned are more realistic than what it used to be. Like mentioned here; many teams IRL scores only couple of goals from corners in a season, so scoring 4 is not so bad and I believe if you would start the season all over chances are it will be 5 or 6 this time.

Way too many of the highlights are shown as nothing corners, its quite boring.

Way too many headers have no power and just go over the bar.

I don't think it's yet clear or proven that "too many" (i.e. compared to RL) go over the bar - but we may be seeing too many of them in the highlights.

Just had my first player in FM10 score 5 goals in 1 match (my 10th season), 3 of them corner headers ... so yes I guess you are the problem, not the game :D (and no I'm not using the corner cheat like people call it).

Just had my first player in FM10 score 5 goals in 1 match (my 10th season), 3 of them corner headers ... so yes I guess you are the problem, not the game :D (and no I'm not using the corner cheat like people call it).

Yes, this one isolated game trumps the 40-game soak in the OP.

Yes, this one isolated game trumps the 40-game soak in the OP.

If you read my other post you would know it's not isolated ... And if it can happen 3x exactly the same in one match, why wouldn't it happen more? I'm at 14 from corners in 26 league games, isolated isn't it? Scored at least as many in other competitions this season as well, so much that I would also almost call it a cheat, but getting tall strikers and aiming for far post, what's cheating about that actually :s

Since the implementation of 10.3, I played a season, went undefeated in lg (tier 7) and scored just 4 goals from 229 corners in those 40 league games against defenders and goalkeepers who were very weak compared to the ability of my corner taker, and the jumping/heading abilities of my 3 strikers and 3 defenders.

Strikers positioned as stand on far post, near post flick on, challenge goalkeeper, and defenders positioned as 2 attacking far post and the other attacking near post.

Corners directed as 6 yard box since that is the vicinity of where all the players were stood.

Now just those 4 goals wasn't due to the fact that they didn't win many headers, in fact, they won the majority of them, but on virtually every occasion, the headed ball went over the bar, rather than on target.

Meaning the success rate of scoring corners against mediocre opponents/players was just 1.75 %

As stated, nothing to do with tactics, since the majority of headers were won. And even doubling the percentage to give the opposition the benefit of the doubt and call every header 50/50. Still only gives 3.5% which to me seems incredibly small given the danger, panic, confusion that corners pose IRL football.

Also crosses since 10.3 seems to be a completely unfunctional attribute for the same reason as above, the headed ball just goes over the bar. Again, completely unrealistic given the danger, confusion, panic that crossed balls cause IRL.

Yes 10.3 has removed the super keepers situation. But it has completely broken headed balls of any kind. And with it destroyed the need for a player with a high corner taking attribute, player with a high jumping/heading attribute, player with a high crossing attribute. And removed the most valuable commodity in CM/FM, a powerful striker who is also a class finisher and dribbler.

Are you using out swinging corners? if not, you should.

Archived