English players for next season

Was just wondering ...starting from next season the FA have put a minimum requirement on english playets in 1 team...and i think Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal should do fine....but Liverpool are gonna havea hard time...they have only 3 players 1 of whom doesnt care that being Carragher....well its time to close shop and run away and invest all the money in everton...cause i really feel liverpool are a has been club run by clowns and managed by a kid who was probably bullied as a kid...a fat pig!!!!!!

I think Arsenal will suffer the most under this rule, all they have id Theo Walcott as an established first team player, all the other English players you'd have to say next season probably aren't considered good enough to keep them in the top 4, Kieran Gibbs is no finished article and Sol Campbell, well if hes there at all next season hes surely past it. Mind you if the rule is "Home grown" players and not just Enlglish they at least have Aaron Ramsey.

Was just wondering ...starting from next season the FA have put a minimum requirement on english playets in 1 team...and i think Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal should do fine....but Liverpool are gonna havea hard time...they have only 3 players 1 of whom doesnt care that being Carragher....well its time to close shop and run away and invest all the money in everton...cause i really feel liverpool are a has been club run by clowns and managed by a kid who was probably bullied as a kid...a fat pig!!!!!!

Keep the points general and cut out the abuse- no more please.

A home grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective if his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated with the or FAW for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)

Clubs will be able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

Taken from the Premier League official site.

i bet to differ...having such restriction (min 7 english players) could actually balloon the transfer prices of many english players...esp the talented...considering the current small pool of talented english players the clubs can choose from...

i suggest a small restriction to start with...say four or five...then gradually increase.

wow, Everton fans really can't get over being the third best team on Merseyside can they? Grow little boys.

Everton fans are happily sitting by watching Liverpool implode. Also as you can no longer afford your new stadium can we have the plot in Stanley Park for ours, or better still can we just have our old stadium back?

oi....poolians....ull dint deserve anything ull have won in the last 5 years especially the Chapmions league....that just covered all the cracks in ur squad for a couple of season...now we get to see the real face behind this team and its really bad managed by a manager who doesnt really know what hes doing...benetez is happy to get his pay check ever week and laugh at the silly kop who keep supporting him...the mighty do fall and fall to the ground hard...taking everything with it....cant believe this is the same liverpool that had sooo much english talent in the early 60s 70s and 80s now has ony 3 english players...and last night just 2...amazes me...but i think this is liverpools fall from grace

oi....poolians....ull dint deserve anything ull have won in the last 5 years especially the Chapmions league....that just covered all the cracks in ur squad for a couple of season...now we get to see the real face behind this team and its really bad managed by a manager who doesnt really know what hes doing...benetez is happy to get his pay check ever week and laugh at the silly kop who keep supporting him...the mighty do fall and fall to the ground hard...taking everything with it....cant believe this is the same liverpool that had sooo much english talent in the early 60s 70s and 80s now has ony 3 english players...and last night just 2...amazes me...but i think this is liverpools fall from grace

I think you're on the wrong forum, child.

Oh, and some of our best teams in the 80s had fewer English players than we do now.

Who do you actually support, out of interest?

&Liverpool were the first team (back in the 80s I thinl) to field a team with no English players in it.

Shove that in your pipe.

I'm not english but i'm curious, if the rules were in place this season, who would be the 25 five players registered by liverpool and which ones would be home-grown?

EDIT: Ok, decided to check it myself. Liverpool have 18 foreign players, right now, who would be over 22 (if i'm remember it correctly, the rules dont apply for players under 21, right?)

so insua and n'gog wouldnt be registered because they would be under 21, and plessis or el zhar (never heard of them) couldnt be registered.

So the new rules wouldnt be a problem for liverpool, at least next year.

Under 21s can be registered, but aslong as clubs have enough home-grown players, they will probably chose not to if they have more than 25 players in their squad. It would be pointless in registering an 20 year old reserve player and keeping out a 30 year old key player unless you needed to.

Under 21s can be registered, but aslong as clubs have enough home-grown players, they will probably chose not to if they have more than 25 players in their squad. It would be pointless in registering an 20 year old reserve player and keeping out a 30 year old key player unless you needed to.

As CMD said there is no point in registering u-21s unless you need them for their homegrown status,I've done it myself in Spain with the current rules, 2 of my first 18 are unregistered due to being U-19.

I'm not english but i'm curious, if the rules were in place this season, who would be the 25 five players registered by liverpool and which ones would be home-grown?

EDIT: Ok, decided to check it myself. Liverpool have 18 foreign players, right now, who would be over 22 (if i'm remember it correctly, the rules dont apply for players under 21, right?)

so insua and n'gog wouldnt be registered because they would be under 21, and plessis or el zhar (never heard of them) couldnt be registered.

So the new rules wouldnt be a problem for liverpool, at least next year.

According to FM at least, Insua counts as homegrown next year. Can't remember about Plessis.

So... Gerrard, Carragher, Johnson, Insua; then probably Kelly, Darby, David Martin (as 3rd keeper) and someone like Steve Irwin - without buying anyone.

The rule is better thought of the other way round: you're only allowed 17 none-homegrown players over the age of 21. That's not too difficult.

Sorry for being dumb I have just awoke....but who is the 2nd best team in merseyside then?

Liverpool reserves of course!!

It's from a great quote by Bill Shankly:

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"

The whole registration thing is just so FIFA doesn't force the 6+5 rule. Man U has tons of HG players as does Arsenal. Chelsea and Liverpool have a small core squad so they just fill the rest with youth which they might not use anyway. The rest of the EPL is fine. Everton, Aston Villa and Spurs and Man City have a ton of English and HG anyways.

That clubs that it might hurt will be the newly promoted clubs. Which need to rehaul their squad as quality youth tend to not stay with lower league clubs for long.

It might force the likes of Hull City to offload the players that they don't use. Cause they have a squad size of about 40 or so. Which if you consider is their own fault for not offloading players sooner and if they want to keep spending money on wages its their own problem.

At the end of the day, big clubs will buy more promising youth. Small clubs will get paid pennies for them. And will only have scrub players to be counted as HG. And once again the big clubs will triumph. Everytime they try to level the playing field it will only make it worst.

This HG rule is only going to give Arsene another excuse to do what he does. Another excuse for LP to not buy players. Another excuse for Chelsea to not spend Abramovich's money. Another excuse for SAF to go and pull a '99. And another excuse for Spurs and Everton to have English youths came through the ranks, for Villa buy keep buying cheap signings and English youth. And another excuse ... well you get the point.

The current clubs will continue to do what they want to do. Its the new clubs that will have it tougher.

Archived