Patch 10.3 - "Open With" Issue

Ok this sounds really stupid but because I know next to nothing about file types and all that I accidently changed the "Open With" option to internet explorer and now everytime I download the new patch (boxed) whether it's save or open I always have the file ending up on the open with option as internet explorer.

I now know what I should have done is just change the file name in properties to include ".exe" (which I did) but I have no idea how to get rid of the open with option which is really annoying since I want to start a new save with all the transfer updates.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Right click on the patch icon, click on rename, add .exe to the file name, then just click on the icon

I don't think I'm explaining this very well. It's not actually an issue of adding .exe to the filename because I've done that already, the problem is that the file opens with internet explorer instead of installing the patch to the game.

I don't think I'm explaining this very well. It's not actually an issue of adding .exe to the filename because I've done that already, the problem is that the file opens with internet explorer instead of installing the patch to the game.

Did you choose to open it with that before changing the file name?

Either way, I suggest you redownloading it. :)

Right click the file then click "open with". You'll be confronted with a dialogue box that lists a few "Recommended Programs". Choose whatever it was originally then check the box "Always use the selected program..."

Should solve it if you have the option available.

See that's the thing, I've tried returning the recommended programs to it's original program but it didn't have one so I see no solution that way. I've also tried to re-download it as well but I think the recommended program is set to the file type which obviously doesn't change seeing as it's the same download.

See that's the thing, I've tried returning the recommended programs to it's original program but it didn't have one so I see no solution that way. I've also tried to re-download it as well but I think the recommended program is set to the file type which obviously doesn't change seeing as it's the same download.

That's what he meant. Reset the 'run with program' to nothing, which was what it was before.

Oh ok, that seems do-able but how would I do that? The option to click "OK" greys out when nothing is chosen - like I said in the original post I have VERY little knowledge of computers.

Isn't there a 'run with no program' option? It's usually alongside a grey symbol?

I know.. I'd fail a customer support job :D

Lol nah it's ok I can understand why you'd need a screenshot with my crap explaning skills but I'm gonna have to test your customer support skills by asking the good old question of (and I know this will be annoying but I've never had to do it before) how do I upload a screenshot onto these forums? (No one hurt me please!)

Lol nah it's ok I can understand why you'd need a screenshot with my crap explaning skills but I'm gonna have to test your customer support skills by asking the good old question of (and I know this will be annoying but I've never had to do it before) how do I upload a screenshot onto these forums? (No one hurt me please!)

*growls*

Kidding. :D

You upload the screenshot to whichever online picture site you use, and then either link it, or paste it into your post so it appears in the thread.

Yes you can change the filetype (or file extension) you just need to go to Folder Options in windows explorer and UNTICK "hide file extensions for know file types".

Because when you told your PC to always open .0_pcpatch[1] this extension with Internet Explorer it hid it so now u cant see it and change it.

So go do that :D

Whilst I don't want to belittle the attempts to help or laugh in the suffering of others, BUT I must say this is the most amusing thread I have read in a loooooong time :) Best of luck to the original poster in solving the problem.

Whilst I don't want to belittle the attempts to help or laugh in the suffering of others, BUT I must say this is the most amusing thread I have read in a loooooong time :) Best of luck to the original poster in solving the problem.

Funny you should say that because what Vermundr said worked. Oh and thanks to everyone else who tried to help and I guess thanks Bearsy for your "help". :D

Archived