FM 2007 on nintendo DS?

• 2 weeks later...

I read on some of the news sites that a Nintendo Wii version is not possible due to memory issues? How can that be when it's possible to a PSP version? Also considering the prices of SD cards, one could be included with the game to hold relevant data?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Medion:

I read on some of the news sites that a Nintendo Wii version is not possible due to memory issues? How can that be when it's possible to a PSP version? Also considering the prices of SD cards, one could be included with the game to hold relevant data? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They mean memory as in RAM not memory as in hard drives. In theory the amount of space on SD cards/memory sticks is pretty much infinite for both machines but the RAM on both machines is restricted bu the PSP has more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smiggs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Medion:

I read on some of the news sites that a Nintendo Wii version is not possible due to memory issues? How can that be when it's possible to a PSP version? Also considering the prices of SD cards, one could be included with the game to hold relevant data? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They mean memory as in RAM not memory as in hard drives. In theory the amount of space on SD cards/memory sticks is pretty much infinite for both machines but the RAM on both machines is restricted bu the PSP has more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you sure that the PSP has more RAM than Wii? That doesn't seem right to me at all!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smiggs:

They mean memory as in RAM not memory as in hard drives. In theory the amount of space on SD cards/memory sticks is pretty much infinite for both machines but the RAM on both machines is restricted bu the PSP has more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you sure that the PSP has more RAM than Wii? That doesn't seem right to me at all!

PSP has 32 Meg is I remember rightly. The Wii will have much more than this - 256 or 512 I woudl guess.

I've got a DS. It's got 4 Meg of RAM but you can create a RAM cartridge to go in the GBA slot. They've done this for the Opera web browser package.

So RAM isn't a problem, it's more likely the processor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vane:

PSP has 32 Meg is I remember rightly. The Wii will have much more than this - 256 or 512 I woudl guess.

I've got a DS. It's got 4 Meg of RAM but you can create a RAM cartridge to go in the GBA slot. They've done this for the Opera web browser package.

So RAM isn't a problem, it's more likely the processor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmm...again though if you're comparing PSP vs Wii then the latter should have enough processing power. I am guessing that it's really down to SI not wanting to release a cut down version when there is a more fully featured competitive on 360 or something?...but still...

Eidos seems to be going down the EA route and covering every format...except Nintendo consoles!!!

I rememebr a when the DS was annoucned it was said that it looked underpowered on paper. It should have been closer to PSone power really. Bad news for footbal manager games! icon_frown.gif

football manager on "home" consoles is a bad idea in my opinion

psp is a fantastic format for fm to be on, pick up and play, fast etc etc perfect

but on ps3, 360 and wii it would be a failure

the interest from console only players is minimal i think...you dont buy such a powerful machine to play a text based,spreadsheet like game do you? its alot more longer aswell, many people want action ,they want to play, be the players etc and thats been reflected in the lack of major success for the orginal 360 version

HA fm on the wii, no way, the audience for the wii is the whole family, a group game, with them all using the controllers swinging there bat (with the wii remote) people who will be buying the wii wont want to play fm on it..it would be a bad desicion

however as said, it would be cool to have it on the DS,

using the touch screen to like select players or change formations and things would be cool

the second screen would be very useful to display the extra information

however i cant seen it being ported over due to the lack of power it had

• 2 weeks later...

DS over PSP anyday. Games are more enjoyable and thought out on the DS. Only FM shines on PSP.

I can understand the memory issues for the DS. But like somebody else has stated, there is a memory expansion which slots into the GBA slot for the DS to support web browsing.

The PSP uses it's own RAM for web browsing too.

It could be done in my opinion. Albeit a very cut down version. (As if the PSP version wasn't cut down enough already)

Look at the difference in games released for each console, PSP is more sophisticated than the DS.

Nintendo has always seemed to aim it's games towards the much younger generation with games like nintendogs. I mean you get the 20yr old bird o nthe advert playing nintendogs but lets face it, that doesn't happen.

The demand for FM on the DS would be no where near enough to justify a release.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vane:

Eidos seems to be going down the EA route and covering every format...except Nintendo consoles!!!

I rememebr a when the DS was annoucned it was said that it looked underpowered on paper. It should have been closer to PSone power really. Bad news for footbal manager games! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another good point there, PS1 was capable of running manager games (lma 98 proved that for sure). But if you look at the technical stats of both consoles you'll see that the DS is more powerful than the ps1, so why no nds manager games?

+ DS:

ARM9 & ARM7 at a total power of 100Mhz

4MB RAM/Shared Cache & 656kb of Video RAM

+ PS1:

MIPS at 33Mhz

2MB RAM and 512kb of Shared Cache.

1MB of Video RAM

Well, atleast I have a psp with FMH for now!

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

If you take a look at Final Fantasy III for DS, you'll see a great game, and if DS can play it, I think it can play FM, with no problems!!! icon_smile.gif

Best,

Daniel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fenerbahcefan:

i dont think its possible on the nintendo BS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prob not on the nintendo DS either

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fenerbahcefan:

that spelling mistake was on purpose icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol i was hoping it was icon_smile.gif

Makes A LOT more sense now

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamster90:

if nintendo basically updated the ds give it better memory and ram would it be possible to get fm on it because i think if Marc and his buddys could make it on ds i think that would be hardest fm they've made with the touch screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark F Gilmore

First of all, sorry about the slight bit of thread necromancy.

Secondly, of course it would be possible to port a FM game to the DS, but the concern is what would this game actually look like? Would SI be able to include enough features for them to put their name to such a product? It's doubtful, although technically possible.

With regard to the memory expansion cart, I believe this is only compatible with the DS lite. If such a game was developed, and the expansion pack was required, this would mean that:

A) The (already fairly small) auidence for the game was reduced further

B) That profit margins are reduced by the need to include the expansion pack.

While the DS touch screen does offer interesting possibilities for a FM-style game, and I would be first in the queue for such a game if it was available, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be worth SI's while to produce.

Having said that, I feel that, if the (inferior, and you all know it) PSP is worthy of a conversion, why not the DS?

Doesn't FHM PSP load from the UMD and then put everything into the ram and play from there? I think I read that somewhere so the games loading times are a lot faster. Maybe thats why it hasn't been 'ported' to the ds.

Although, cartridges are a lot lot faster than the UMD so instead of the game being ran from the ram, it could all be on the cart with the same speeds.

Also the carts can hold a fair bit on them. I believe some DS games are over 200MB.

Guest Mark F Gilmore

If it's just dumping the data from the UMD straight into RAM, then a cartridge is certainly much faster, but I doubt thats whats actually happening. I'd assume it's a dump of a quickstart-style game.

As part of the cartridge capacity, you have to consider how much a save game will take up - I believe this is probably the biggest limitation with a DS FM incarnation.

Mark, you're forgetting all the run time data which isn't (and can't) be stored on the DS's carts nor the UMD. That, and the processing power to manage it all and still remain playable.

FM Handheld is cut down enough as it is, on a 222MHz machine with 32MiB of RAM.

Thinking about it on a machine that's over three times slower and with only an eighth of the memory capacity makes my brain cry.

Guest Mark F Gilmore

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mark, you're forgetting all the run time data which isn't (and can't) be stored on the DS's carts nor the UMD. That, and the processing power to manage it all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not forgetting about it at all, it's a vey obvious stumbling block! Having said that, a (very) slimline FM port is still technically possible, even with the limited power of the DS.

I have to admit I haven't played FM on PSP, so can't really suggest what could be in and what could be left out of a potential DS port.

We're talking so slimline as to be barely worth playing.

I can't see how the game could feasibly have any more than one league, without some serious dumbing down. It does have the luck of being able to read static data from the card instead of needing everything in memory but that would only get it so far.

I thought this thread was dead and buried long ago...

Theres no point even discussing FM on DS. The PSP version is already basic enough, a DS version would be so simplified that no-one would want to buy it (or even make it in the first place). I think this thread should just be deleted

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Come On Boro:

are you a mod or an admin? No your not. People may still want to discuss this, if you dont, then don't come into the thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch icon_frown.gif

But really i think this has been discussed to death. The decision is final- there will be NO FM on DS. So why DS lovers come here all over-excited asking the same question over and over despite countless definitive rejections i simply dont understand. Im not a mod, nor admin but if i was, i would have one stickied, closed topic saying FM WILL NOT BE RELEASED ON DS and delete threads like this until DS owners come to understand what this means

Archived