I'm really, REALLY bad at this game....

Strange one here. I've played CM/FM since CM3 and in each, I've had at least ONE decent save that I've thoroughly enjoyed. I've enjoyed most of my success with clubs higher up in the leagues (always in England) and using other peoples tactics (from forums just like this).

But then I asked myself... why do I play? I download these tactics, use some of the best teams in the world and just cruise to success. I've never been relegated or finished mid-table. I've started some 'tough' careers, but when I start losing I get insanely frustrated and just quit, reload until I win, stuff like that.

So I bought FM10 last week (poor student is poor, but can't turn down £14.99 in the Steam sale!) and decided 'enough is enough! I will create my own tactic and guide a terrible team to the dizzy heights of the premiership (or just get promoted a couple of times and jump ship). So I started a game with Gateshead and created a 4-3-3, that relies on decent passes from my midfielders and strikers. Lots of through balls to create some nice and easy one on ones (pretty much the only way my strikers seem to be able to score anything).

But now, the problem. I just sit there. I never adjust my tactics. If things go wrong, I just click continue. I might as well just support Gateshead in real life. Season started well, about half-way through and I'm first, but my form is starting to dip. I don't know what to do! I look at advice from my staff, but it seems that my Ass Man always disagrees with them.

I really don't want to download a tactic, because it feels like 'cheating'.

How can I become GOOD at this game? I NEED TO GET GATESHEAD INTO THE PREMIERSHIP.

tl;dr - I am really, really bad at this game and have no idea how to adjust my tactics to turn my save around.

With out knowing your players it is difficult to offer any advice. If your tactics are to demanding on your players, and Gateshead will not be the most gifted, then try to keep your tactics simple. Your never going to get them to play well with to much going on. Try a more direct route, Get a good parent club and get loans in from them. If you can't try getting a few on loan in to freshen things up a little. Sometimes going up is not the best thing for you, set realistic targets. Raid the free players being released from Prem clubs in both Eng and Scotland before the season starts.

:edit: spelling is good

With out knowing your players it is difficult to offer any advice. If your tactics are to demanding on your players, and Gateshead will not be the most gifted, then try to keep your tactics simple. Your never going to get them to play well with to much going on. Try a more direct route, Get a good parent club and get loans in from them. If you can't try getting a few on loan in to freshen things up a little. Sometimes going up is not the best thing for you, set realistic targets. Raid the free players being released from Prem clubs in both Eng and Scotland before the season starts.

:edit: spelling is good

I like you. You're a nice person.

I'll try out some of this stuff. I was really happy at first, because my 4-3-3 was working really well. We were playing direct and as I said, we were 10 points clear at the top of the table. But I'm starting to lose and I'm gettin frustratated, losing 3 of my last 4 matches. Gateshead WERE predicted to be relegated at the beginning of the season, mind.

The only advice that has worked well for me - react to match situations with the sideline shouts.

I usually start with Attacking, but I find that when I go two up, the opposition react and start becoming more attacking and we begin to struggle to create chances. I find that switching to a counter attack and dropping deeper will then create more chances for the team. I also find that Contain can be very useful for tying a match up in the last 5/10 minutes. Effective use of the match shouts will help your team a lot

This is the fun of the game though, no? ;)

After all, look at real life - how many teams just have it all their own way? I'd say none.

Just stick to it - drops in form happen, it's the realistic part of the game, no matter how frustrating it is :D Just goes to show how hard it must be to be a real-life manager. Half the people who play FM would probably have heart attacks.

&The people complaining about their teams not scoring enough headers, they should look at Liverpool in real life. I'm not sure we even know how to score a header :o haha

Stick to it man, it will all be worth it in the end..

If you're losing though, fiddle with the tactics abit until you find that winning formula again :)

&Also, try loaning in a few players in weak positions.

I hear you mate! I came from the same era, played CM since 1993. I have to say this is the most satisfying CM/FM so far, and the most rewarding. By rewarding, I mean you have to be a MANAGER! Your decision would actually have an impact on the game. This will take time, as you would need it to understand how it would affect your team. My suggestion, is not to play Gateshead yet. Try something less challenging, like League 1. And refrain yourself from dl tactics! It will win you games, but if you have been playing this game that long, I would think that it is not about winning the game, it is winning as a manager, i.e. your tactics and your style.

What i do is to have two Tacticts, for example 451 and 442 and if i lose for example 3 games in a row i change tactic to the other one, a something like that, just give time to adapt, second season i always better try this team for at least few more years youll enjoy more in the end youll see.... good luck..

Archived