Clubs That Profit

I did a bit of searching, but wasn't able to find what I was looking for. Forgive me if there is already a thread on this topic. Anyways, here is my question:

I've played many different game-types (small clubs, large clubs) and I have found that none of of them operate in the black for me. For instance, I started a save with West Brom and found that only when I was overachieving (winning the CL when given no chance) did I create a great deal of profit from prize money and such, but to stay competitive in the following seasons I had to spend and eventually started operating in the red, save the profit from prize money. So, has anyone had a save where they experienced a great deal of financial success with a "big" or "top" club? If so any tips for me to do so would be greatly appreciated :thup:

I've always managed to make a profit to be honest, its prob what i enjoy most. Sure the first season or 2 is difficult balancing the books, but if you scout and buy decent youngsters then you can develop them to either sell on or replace your first team squad. It often reduces the wage bill for a couple of seasons until the youngsters reputation raises meaning they want higher salaries and so you eventually look to replace them etc.

Well thats how i do it, managed to put together a pretty good squad with Liverpool with a £100mil plus in the bank after 3 seasons - and thats with their debt repayments. I know others have done the same reading the Liverpool thread.

One of the things i always do is pay all the transfer money upfront rather than over 40 odd months like some do on here. Yeah its painful in the short term and your going to have to pick and choose your targets but makes a big difference coming into season 3 and 4 not having an extra couple of million dissappearing every month on transfers from a couple of seasons earlier. My theory is if you can't afford it now then you shouldn't mortgage yourself to it in the future. The loan debt repayments are bad enough without transfer installments sucking you dry.

I always check the transfer lists and see if there are any bargains, if there are players going for a lot less than their value, pick them up and loan them out see if they develop, if not move them on for a nice profit. You won't have even paid their wages for a season. Muniesa and Opare are great players for this at the beginning

Plus look at the freebies, even if they are only going to provide solid backup, can sell them a year later for decent amounts and selling those backups and youngsters not making the grade pretty much supplements funding all the u18's i want for the next season.

With a lot of clubs having debt to pay back then of course it's going to be harder to make cash. Generally clubs drop into the red durong the season but get pulled out of it by prize money at the end of it.

yeah your right mate.

I do like to make a profit though with my teams. It just feels better. lol:)

I agree Craig, operating in the black always feels good.

That is a good point, baker.simon. I didn't even take that into consideration. The only large club I've seen pay off its debt during my longer saves is Arsenal.

After the 1st few seasons AC Milan seem to make a lot of profit.

Thats because their overpaid ageing stars leave and tend not to be truly replaced and they still manage to fill the San Siro every game.

But I was going to post pretty much what baker.simon said :thup:

With Villa I just tend to try and limit the monthly losses to less than a million, and make money during the transfer windows and prize money to balance it all out

Thats because their overpaid ageing stars leave and tend not to be truly replaced and they still manage to fill the San Siro every game.

But I was going to post pretty much what baker.simon said :thup:

With Villa I just tend to try and limit the monthly losses to less than a million, and make money during the transfer windows and prize money to balance it all out

True but Milan also have quite a big debt, loans to the bank etc.. Like you said though. the attendances peobably help most.

I'm playing as Arsenal in the second season and am losing around 12-19 million a month. The strange thing is I have only signed 1 new player for more than a million. I paid 12 million for Moussa Sissoko. The crazy thing is I would lose money even if I had no player wages to pay. Yet Arsenal posted profits IRL...

milan doesnt really have any debt in real life....the ****ing FM2010 ****ed up Milan...teams like Bayern tooo have nooooo debt...and in the game thier basically ****ed up...total and utter crap

What are you talking about? Why do you think they cut back on transfers?

And I've never been in the red with any club. Actually I like managing clubs with lots of debt.

1) Offload bad or old players. Even if its on a free.

2) Offload high wage players.

3) Offload bad youth players.

4) Don't pay over $30m for any player EVER. Max $40m if that. Again only if you have the cash.

5) Always buy on 48 month payments.

6) Only buy youth (24 or under unless you really really need a stop gap player) unless is a GK.

7) Don't sign anyone older than 28 unless its a GK.

8) Try to sign quality players on free transfers, again never older than 28 or they can't really be resold.

9) Never pay more than $6m a year for wage demands unless its your best best player like Fabregas or Gourcuff or something. And even than I wouldn't go over $8m. I let Gourcuff go when he as like 30 or so because he want over $10m and his signing on fee was HUGE. And just wouldn't want a longer than one year contract. He played 3 excellent years at Chelsea but I didn't care just changed to a 4-1-2-1-2 (he was a AMR and so I moved Jovetic to an AMC and he actually did better).

10) Sell quality players unless its a GK when they reach 30 so you can make the money back (if you can replace them, should if you have good youth coming in).

11) Loan out quality youth for experience with for a loan fee if you know they will be used and as close to 100% wages paid as possible by the club asking for a loan. But remember the key is to get them experience not make money.

12) Younger (up to 27/28) players that you paid high transfers and you won't use but can't get an offer that is close to what you paid for. Loan out for a huge loan fee like 1.6m or 4.1m (sometimes clubs will bring it down to like 825k and 3.7 respectively) depending on how much you paid. Even if its means doing it for years. I had to do it with Nani for a few seasons until I made a part of the transfer fee back. He went out for 4.1m on loan like two or three times. Eventually with those fees in addition to what Aston Villa was willing to pay it made up the transfer fee Sir Alex Ferguson paid.

13) Have one or two pre season tournaments. Only one or two or players will get fatigued. And have another easy easy easy one with garbage lower reputation teams for boost up morale again.

14) Get rid of garbage feeder clubs (mostly domestic ones because foreign ones give you scout information).

15) Get merchandising clubs even if your club has a low reputation. Always go for the higher reputation club no matter what the fee. Location and fees are irrelevant, its the reputation that matters. If reps are the EXACT same go with the lower fee then. When you get better reputation (like from Championship to upper table established EPL club) replace them. Unless the following happens. I was Reading and got Chicago or Crew (it was some good rep MLS club). There was no reason to club that one. Cause if I did the merchandising fee would of increased. Or confirm I did it anyway. And the fee went from the hundreds of thousands to almost 8m.

16) Have a squad of only 20 players or less probably even less than that. And another 5-6 good youth prospects who are too young to go out on loan.

17) Have players that can player more than one position. Like I always train my defenders to play LB or RB as a second position. So I have about 6 defenders. Two dedicated DC (who may or may not YET play LB or RB). Two addition DRC or DLC usually one of each. If not than a LB or RB can play ML or MR. And a dedicated LB and another dedicated RB.

18) When signing players offer less wages and less signing on fees than what they ask for. Same goes for renewing contracts. Sometimes players will agree (normally if there is no other offers than yours otherwise if its a player you really want or need, offer the wages they want or more).

19) After sending players out on loan, see if they will renew contracts for a lower wage demand. But only if its a lot lower cause signing on fee is a cost. Which leads to my next point.

And here is the hidden money waster.

20) Signing on fees. An example is better. Aguero kept wanting only a one year contract. He started to demand a little less yearly wages but a signing on fee at times huge ones too and he wouldn't budge. Adler wanted to do the same thing but since I knew he really could be used until 35 or older. So I kept his wages demands the same or even higher but I forced a longer contract. So I wouldn't have to keep paying signing on fees year in and year out.

I was playing as At. Madrid in 10.1.1 and by 2021 I had over $650m in the bank and no debt. Won CL 2 twice (made to CL final 5 times but stupid Asst Man played Aguero as a AMC and Jovetic as a ST in a couple of them). And in the last few years was dominating La Liga year in year out but it was still competitive, with the odd blip. Had a stable squad only rehauled to bring in youth or if some player didn't work out. Signed Adler on a free and had Asenjo too. Only deleted it cause of new patch. Didn't use a scouting or editing program either. Helped they have no debt and a huge stadium.

But I've done the same with Man U and Arsenal and Bayern (huge debt and high wage demands and old squad) and Juve (had small stadium, high wage demands and older squad) and Liverpool (same as Juve). Had about the same in the bank as Arsenal but even sooner as they have HIGH HIGH match day revenue and it was in way less time too.

Thing is clubs they have debt but they have high match day revenue (usually large stadium or high season ticket or regular ticket prices).

EXTRA POINT: Clubs with big debt has big name players. LP has Torres which can go for almost $100m, enough to build a new squad, some of the others can go too. Man U has a ton you can offload the next year who are useless and with the money from CR7 they are in business (Scholes, Giggs, Neville can all go and if you can even Rio). Juve has Buffon which can be for almost $100m. Bayern has Ribery and a few older ones you should offload at any cost (Klose and Toni for example even if its on a free cause wage demands are HUGE). Arsenal has too many players and you can offload most of the bad Arsenal youth players or regular players (Denilson, Diaby, Song, Rosicky, etc. etc.) Again the same keeps going for most big clubs.

Same goes for lower league clubs. I was managing Reading (journeyman). Offloaded 16 players in the first month alone. They have a bloated wage bill and bloated squad. Hull is another example.

I've played many different game-types (small clubs, large clubs) and I have found that none of of them operate in the black for me. For instance, I started a save with West Brom and found that only when I was overachieving (winning the CL when given no chance) did I create a great deal of profit from prize money and such, but to stay competitive in the following seasons I had to spend and eventually started operating in the red, save the profit from prize money. So, has anyone had a save where they experienced a great deal of financial success with a "big" or "top" club? If so any tips for me to do so would be greatly appreciated :thup:

Actually that is absolutely bang on realistic. Hardly any football clubs at any level make a profit - not in England or Scotland anyway, as UEFA noted last week when they pointed out that the EPL is responsible for over 50% the entire debt of European football clubs. As to a couple of posters above, if Man Utd were making a profit, what the hell is the 'Red Knight' campaign about? Fact is, even when they win everything in sight, they run at a massive loss. And Manchester City make a profit? You couldn't be more wrong. Their owners are happy to make up the hundreds of millions in losses - quite a different picture. Rangers are running away with winning every pot in Scotland - at a massive loss; Real Madrid depend on the government to constantly write off their debts.

As FM players we have a horrible habit of doing exactly what real-life managers with indulgent chairmen do - over-reach ourselves in transfers and wages, inflate our squads, spend spend spend as if there's no tomorrow, or spend tomorrow's money on success today (48 month transfer payments anyone?). We are all Harry Redknapps. The only thing we can't do is cheat the taxman and creditors.

Of course, there are exceptions, and the most high-profile manager in this regard is Arsene Wenger. His influence over the overall management of Arsenal extends beyond that of any other manager; it appears he has money available to spend but he chooses not to in order to focus on finding and developing youth. Whatever you think of Arsenal, he is the FM manager's hero. If you can follow that model you can run a profitable football club.

I've managed to get my Betis team in my journeyman save to break even during the season and then to make profits close/pre season. One thing I would say is when you first sign a player, especially with youngsters, get them for as little as possible in wages as their naturally just gonna go up. Negotiate every contract. Never accept a contract with a yearly wage rise, use signing on fee or slightly increased wage instead. I disagree with the 48 month plan, if you have 50 million in transfer fees over 48 months you'll have over 1 million a month going out which is obviously going to hammer your balance during the season. I also never have anyone over 100,000k a week. Well I have one player but he's a club legend and goal scoring record holder. Also, try and hire re-gen staff with low reputation and high ability. You can sometimes get amazing coaches for £450 a week. Like the youngsters, get them on as long as possible contracts.

I'm in season 10 with Juventus (they start with 200mil loan or something, but transfer budget is present). I spent tons (way too much for my doing) on players first 4 seasons, still staying balanced. I'm now closing to Real in financial value (650 mil Euro now). I have my new stadium (loans going on though), but I'm becoming filthy rich. But in Italy if you do very well you get 75mil+ Euro per season from TV income ... I have a pretty tight wage though considering I'm the most successful club in the game now, around 5,6mil Euro per month, I could double that if I wanted to.

Actually that is absolutely bang on realistic. Hardly any football clubs at any level make a profit - not in England or Scotland anyway, as UEFA noted last week when they pointed out that the EPL is responsible for over 50% the entire debt of European football clubs. As to a couple of posters above, if Man Utd were making a profit, what the hell is the 'Red Knight' campaign about? Fact is, even when they win everything in sight, they run at a massive loss. And Manchester City make a profit? You couldn't be more wrong. Their owners are happy to make up the hundreds of millions in losses - quite a different picture. Rangers are running away with winning every pot in Scotland - at a massive loss; Real Madrid depend on the government to constantly write off their debts.

As FM players we have a horrible habit of doing exactly what real-life managers with indulgent chairmen do - over-reach ourselves in transfers and wages, inflate our squads, spend spend spend as if there's no tomorrow, or spend tomorrow's money on success today (48 month transfer payments anyone?). We are all Harry Redknapps. The only thing we can't do is cheat the taxman and creditors.

Of course, there are exceptions, and the most high-profile manager in this regard is Arsene Wenger. His influence over the overall management of Arsenal extends beyond that of any other manager; it appears he has money available to spend but he chooses not to in order to focus on finding and developing youth. Whatever you think of Arsenal, he is the FM manager's hero. If you can follow that model you can run a profitable football club.

Considering half of what you said is all controversial I'll say this.

Its not hard to make any club in the world profitable. Problem is big clubs constantly get milked for money. Man U and Liverpool being the key examples. They constantly get money pulled out one way or another.

Plus Wenger is not all that great. He could sell Almunia and Fabanski and actually get two decent GKs. Yet he refuses. Eduardo needs to get offloaded but isn't. He has only one DM.

Arsene's problem is he refuses to sign players or refuses to use the money from a transfer to buy another one. He could make twice the profit if he signs someone half decent and wins titles.

His strategy is half right problem is the other half is so he keeps his job. If he splashes the cash on one big transfer he has to bring in the silverware and if he doesn't he gets the sack. Wenger just doesn't want to gamble.

Yeh, but don't derail the point but going off on one re. Wenger. We are discussing FM in this forum. My point is that as an FM manager you can avoid going into the red by focussing on developing youth. I don't think it's at all controversial to point to the legacy Harry Redknapp has left clubs after his transfer policies, compared to the financial acumen of Arsenal. They are the only major EPL club operating at a profit.

teams like Bayern tooo have nooooo debt...and in the game thier basically ****ed up...total and utter crap

Yeah, Allianz Arena just appeared one morning out of the blue.

Considering half of what you said is all controversial I'll say this.

Its not hard to make any club in the world profitable. Problem is big clubs constantly get milked for money. Man U and Liverpool being the key examples. They constantly get money pulled out one way or another.

Plus Wenger is not all that great. He could sell Almunia and Fabanski and actually get two decent GKs. Yet he refuses. Eduardo needs to get offloaded but isn't. He has only one DM.

Arsene's problem is he refuses to sign players or refuses to use the money from a transfer to buy another one. He could make twice the profit if he signs someone half decent and wins titles.

His strategy is half right problem is the other half is so he keeps his job. If he splashes the cash on one big transfer he has to bring in the silverware and if he doesn't he gets the sack. Wenger just doesn't want to gamble.

Thats very unfair comment on Wenger. To us this is a game. For him, this is his life. No forum to discuss who are the best players, which tactics would give you goals in the game, which formations would work, and most importantly, he can't load game if things go against him. Plus, he is the only current living example that has the guts and believe to put his young team in one of the toughest if not the toughest league in the world.

not sure what the real life situation is, but I was a bit shocked when I realized that almost every single team in Bundesliga is in debt. Same goes for the Premiership. I mean, wtf is wrong with the managers? Look at what happened to Leeds, when they decided to take massive loans because they were sure they'd get far in the EC.

I have to agree on this topic. I am still making money but the expenses are ridiculous. The Non Football Costs is the biggest killer, and it seems to match my wages expenses. In my 10th seasons and last season Non Football Costs was 52mill euros. And there is no way to reduce it since we have no control on it. Maybe it is done on purpose by SI to balance the game. Probably they feel with too much money it would be too easy on us. So they add a script to increase cost so that we wont make crazy profits every year. Just a speculation though.

No, it's simply reflecting real life. The business of football really has gone that crazy. Are you not following the financial discussions surrounding Portsmouth? Even MP's from the 3 main British parties are wading in. Blimey, if I can follow the news from Cambodia, surely you can be dimly aware of what's going on!

Macha: I've always wondered what the Non-Football Costs were. The only thing I could think of is that they're the expenses of traveling, but that wouldn't justify its astronomical value.

Does anyone have any clue where the figure for Non-Football Costs comes from?

Non=footballing costs are stupid, what are they? In one season mine doubled with no reason as to why, now I lose 5 million a month with Everton. Plus 50,000 all seater stadium that I filled out 4 times in one month in EPL. Gate reciepts? £1.8 million for 4 sell-outs. Same amount of season tickets as year before. Any suggestions?

Guys, if you have your older save game, please check. My example on leeds, on 2nd year in premiership my non football costs (NFC) was merely 12mill euros and wage was 16mill euros. Now after 7th year, my non football cost was 52mill euros and wages was 56mill euros. It seems NFC is 4mill euros lower for every year. Im going to experiment by reducing my wage bill. If it is lower it would mean that there is a bug SI needs to fix.

Macha: The same thing has happened to me on my West Bromwich save. Promoted to the Premier League and the NFC was relatively low. I eventually took them to consecutive Champs. League titles and the same thing has happened. I'm not sure on the actual jump in costs, but I'll have a look and see if they line up with the £4mil you've come up with.

Edit: In my Arsenal save my players' wages for the previous season tallied up to approximately £25.9mil while the NFC was £21.4mil, which supports that £4mil difference. I guess it does scale with the salary.

Macha: The same thing has happened to me on my West Bromwich save. Promoted to the Premier League and the NFC was relatively low. I eventually took them to consecutive Champs. League titles and the same thing has happened. I'm not sure on the actual jump in costs, but I'll have a look and see if they line up with the £4mil you've come up with.

Edit: In my Arsenal save my players' wages for the previous season tallied up to approximately £25.9mil while the NFC was £21.4mil, which supports that £4mil difference. I guess it does scale with the salary.

I guess 4 is d magic number for premiership bcoz mine was in euros n yours was in pound. But it make no sense why should it follow weekly salary. Even if it does, it should not be call NFC. I would expect travelling or marketing as NFC.

Won CL 2 twice (made to CL final 5 times but stupid Asst Man played Aguero as a AMC and Jovetic as a ST in a couple of them).

You let your Asst Man manage the team for the CL Final?!?!?:eek:

Are you out of your mind, really interested in his career progressing, or just holidaying the whole game?

All quality advice and information on this thread and am really interested in doing a challenging save like this. Firstly do you get much recongnition from the board that you have been saving money and cutting costs instead of performances? and secondly what do you think the biggest financial challenge in the game comes from? dont mind what league the team is in?

city4eva: The board recognizes and appreciates it when you have a firm grip on wages. I always find that it's one of the easiest ways to keep them happy, especially when you're managing for a top club and their wage budget is astronomical. As far as the financial challenge goes, do you mean which team is it the hardest to stay in the black with? If so it's pretty tough for all of the top English clubs to do so. The one I've had most success with is Arsenal. I've paid off one of the loans and have the value of the club up around £400mil.

Just to add my two pennies worth.

Man Utd make a profit every year. Latest Accounts state they made £31 million profit, although that included the sale of Ronaldo, if you check their accounts you will see that they do make a profit every year. The Red Knights campaign is not about the losses the club makes, but about the debt currently apportioned to the club since the Glazers joined where as before the takeover they had NO debt.

Man City and Chelsea are fortunate they have billionaire owners who currently write off the losses they make.

Rangers are indeed in serious debt despite winning domestic trophies, but due to their high wages, lack of TV revenue, poor performances in Europe and paying off building work they simply cannot manage the losses.

Real Madrid, unfortunately, do not get bailed out by the Spanish government as many believe, and I was one of them, I believe they have recently sold their training ground to the Government and then leased it back. I think they got about 200 million euros for it.

Its funny in the gam ethat Milan get sell outs every week because in real life they don't and that goes for all Italien clubs unless it is a big game. Something SI should work on. I watch plenty of Italian football on ESPN and most of the grounds are only half full or so.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to pay off loans early? I never thought there was, but people have said they've paid off their team's loans but most teams who do start with debt have built-in monthly repayments that happen at a fixed rate (e.g. 300k / month) until they're totally paid. So if you have tens of millions in loans it usually means teams won't pay them off completely for decades. Even if you have a huge bank balance.

There is no way to pay them off faster if you have a huge balance, is there?

Should there be?

What are you talking about? Why do you think they cut back on transfers?

Transfer spending is down at almost every club and league; does that mean everyone is £400m in debt? Off course not.

The database is totally wrong regarding the debts of Italian clubs.

When i try to loan a good player around 22 years old I always get predetermend demands like 400K or 1.7 mil + 100% of wage and so on...

How do I set this for my players I want to loan?

How do I extend a loan if I like the player but I don't wanna / can buy it?

When i try to loan a good player around 22 years old I always get predetermend demands like 400K or 1.7 mil + 100% of wage and so on...

How do I set this for my players I want to loan?

How do I extend a loan if I like the player but I don't wanna / can buy it?

Negotiate with the other club

city4eva: The board recognizes and appreciates it when you have a firm grip on wages. I always find that it's one of the easiest ways to keep them happy, especially when you're managing for a top club and their wage budget is astronomical. As far as the financial challenge goes, do you mean which team is it the hardest to stay in the black with? If so it's pretty tough for all of the top English clubs to do so. The one I've had most success with is Arsenal. I've paid off one of the loans and have the value of the club up around £400mil.

I mean what the worst team in regards to their fianancial state ie the poorest and most debt ridden club there is

Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to pay off loans early? I never thought there was, but people have said they've paid off their team's loans but most teams who do start with debt have built-in monthly repayments that happen at a fixed rate (e.g. 300k / month) until they're totally paid. So if you have tens of millions in loans it usually means teams won't pay them off completely for decades. Even if you have a huge bank balance.

There is no way to pay them off faster if you have a huge balance, is there?

Should there be?

The problem with bank loans is that the interest is set as soon as the loan starts and usually there is a penalty charge for paying it off early.

For instance, if I wanted to pay my mortgage off now rather than in 20 years time, it would cost me whatever I owed plus a penalty charge of a certain %age of what I owe. By comparison, if I did that now then I would save money in the long term but I would obviously be hit very hard in the short term.

Obviously as the value of a loan is higher, then the penalty charges incurred will be higher.

I can't seem to get my Saints team to make a profit, there are no debts but the sugar daddy Chairmen keeps having to pump extra money into the finances, my match day expenses always seem to be very high, they were like up to a £1 million a month in league 1, probably during the season, the match day expenses alternated with wages as the biggest monthly expenditure. Also my board gave me a transfer budget in the prem of 38 million for a respectable league position, yet there was nothing like this in the balance.

Could NFC be repaying loans? also some clubs like Leeds rent their training ground and others rent their stadiums so maybe it covers this, i would imagine it also covers the cost of other staff not mentioned like stewards, tea ladys etc, however £50 million sounds a lot for this sort of stuff over a season. Usually a clubs biggest expenditure is wages, lowest wages as percentage of turnover last year in the Prem was Arsenal with 45% in real life, most clubs are around the 60% mark so no other expenditure should come near to wages.

Now taken over Man Utd after leaving Everton where I was losing 7 million a month. Slashed the wage bill by half at utd, they have been taken over and there is only a bill of 1 mill a month for a loan. Packed out every home game wage bill 4.9 mill a month, staff wages 2 mill a month! Non footballing costs 4 mill a month. I am losing 11 million a month! WTF? Surely this is a bug as I cannot make a profit even when I got my prize money for winning the league!

It's going to take a while for my Liverpool team to be profitable. Spend about £200 million on transfers(it's 2022 and I've got a tycoon owner). I've pretty much got all the players I'm likely to need for the next 2-4 years, so there's going to be no major purchases, and I'll only sell players if I can bring in a replacement for an equal or lower price now. Plus, I've got some very promising youth. Now if only we weren't still at Anfield.

Archived