This is what I'm loving with FM08.....

There is (yet again, predictably) an awful lot of moaning threads about '08 on the forums.

This isn't one, what we have to accept is that FM is A game above all else and is there to be enjoyed.

It will never be perfect, and it will never please everyone.

Get over it.

Anyway, I just got a new Laptop and installed FM08 and immediately downloaded 8.0.2

My first impressions of my new (first) game is "There's lots to do"...

I admit I was a little apprehensive about all the new features (But, ironically, this was simply down to reading all the bloody moaning threads on here!!), but I have to say well done SI, sterling work on what appears to be a fantastic game that does exactly what it says on the box. I'm loving every minute of it so far on my Liverpool save (Despite losing my first ever game 1-0 at home versus Atletico Madrid icon_mad.gif - bygones)

The bit I like the most is the in-depth coach reports on all my players - a long-overdue feature.

What are you loving most?

There is (yet again, predictably) an awful lot of moaning threads about '08 on the forums.

This isn't one, what we have to accept is that FM is A game above all else and is there to be enjoyed.

Get over it.

Anyway, I just got a new Laptop and installed FM08 and immediately downloaded 8.0.2

I admit I was a little apprehensive about all the new features (But, ironically, this was simply down to reading all the bloody moaning threads on here!!), but I have to say well done SI, sterling work on what appears to be a fantastic game that does exactly what it says on the box. I'm loving every minute of it so far on my Liverpool save (Despite losing my first ever game 1-0 at home versus Atletico Madrid icon_mad.gif - bygones)

The bit I like the most is the in-depth coach reports on all my players - a long-overdue feature.

What are you loving most?

Improved scouting was the first thing I noticed - not "easier" scouting, but more realistic, ie, they don't reveal ALL atributes on a single scouting session.

Half-time team talks have a bigger effect on performances, which I thought was important (although more options would be nice).

Match engine was a challenge on 8.0.1 but once you worked out the kinks it was way better than FM07 (I'm reserving judgement on the 802 match engine - currently very frustrated with it, but I'm getting there).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is (yet again, predictably) an awful lot of moaning threads about '08 on the forums.

Get over it.

I admit I was a little apprehensive about all the new features (But, ironically, this was simply down to reading all the bloody moaning threads on here!!), but I have to say well done SI, sterling work on what appears to be a fantastic game that does exactly what it says on the box. I'm loving every minute of it so far on my Liverpool save (Despite losing my first ever game 1-0 at home versus Atletico Madrid - bygones)

What are you loving most? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a refreshing post amidst all the crap floating around here. As for me, I like that team talks are much more important now along with all the little things in the game that can take a while to actually notice and when you do see them, great icon14.gif

What do I love most?

Seeing the youngsters I had faith in break into my first team and become quality players.

The tensions and drama of trying to hang onto a lead, or clawing your team back from the jaws of defeat.

But most of all, I love the endless hours of enjoyment I get each year, and all for about £20.

I'm loving the whole experience. Managing with Spurs and I simply love the indepth coach reports and scout reports- really help me feel like I'm learning the subtle nuances of each player. Also like Facegen which makes me giggle! Nice thread, long overdue- well done SI! A thoroughly addictive game and enjoyable time-spender. icon_smile.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

Foolishly, I figured this thread would be more popular than this.

There must be more than THREE satisfied customers.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just posted a moaning thread (very rare honestly) but I have enjoyed the game despite its flaws.

Facegen is probably my favourite addition, much better than fat spotty teenagers coming through your ranks icon_biggrin.gif

i wish i had waited like you for the inevitable patches and waded through the negative threads - to enjoy the game in the end.

Because the truth is i have hardly played the game, the effort of working around bugs and problems, and the issues raised have been enough to put me off.

Dont get me wrong you wont see me whinging the game is unplayable, but its dead to me, i have never felt like this about FM before and have about 20 hours a week spare which i am now spending writing a story for my kids.

What a woeful tale this post has become, however the fact that you have only had 3 posts says one of two things:

- The game hasnt got the loyal fanbase it had

- The world would rather rant at whats wrong, and not reward what is good...

I am also a satisfied customer!

However many of the features mentioned are double edged swords. Bigger influence of half time team talks may be great for a while, but when you only have 4-6 options you rarely get to say what you want! 2-0 up, obviously i'm pleased guys, but apparently if I inform you of this fact you stop playing.

Most of the stuff that annoy people are just minor things but as some old chinese saying i only half remember goes, its not the mountain in front of you that defeats you but the pebble in your shoe.

But despite the minor stuff which, due to human nature, gets more coverage, its still a bloody good game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But most of all, I love the endless hours of enjoyment I get each year, and all for about £20. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When this thread has expired, this is the post I'll probably quote, to finish with.

Bongo-Bongo icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The world would rather rant at whats wrong, and not reward what is good... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In life when do you ever hear praise for what is good? Do you get a slap on the back and a well done from your boss etc? When your car runs perfectly every day do you ring yp the dealer etc to say good job?

The answer is rarely no, but when you dont do your job well, your boss is the first one to lambast you etc etc..

Fact of life unfortunatly.

i been loving the game tbh its fantastic, i dont really notice the bugs that much anyways, if i have 20+shots and still lose 1-0 not bothered lol i just think that must happen irl so it can happen here. also at first i hated the 8.0.2 only becuase all my players stats droped but now am loving it match engine is fantastic been playing for 8 hours today icon_biggrin.gif

Took me longer to get into FM08 (plenty of starts which I abandoned in irritation at not getting anywhere over quite a few months) than any previous version I've had, but now I'm hooked on my current game, in my 3rd season, new patch and whilst there are the odd few irritations that is to be expected and they are far outweighed by the enjoyment I am having from my current savegame.

2 games into this season after being newly promoted (to Scottish Division 2) I was beginning to think we would really struggle, 4 straight wins later I was confident we would survive and maybe even push for back to back promotions. Now a few games further down the line I am levelling out to a realistic view of us finishing somewhere in mid-table...each time I have a playing session my expectations, hopes or concerns shift which is great fun icon14.gif

I'm not sure what one new feature I love about FM08, it just generally 'feels' better than '07.

I do love the fact that this time round I've managed to create an awsome tactic of my own from scratch, without having to read any threads in the tactics forum, and have managed to adapt that tactic with every patch so that it's still good enough to get me from the blue square north to the Premier league with Gateshead.

And Starr_Man, getting beat by Athletico in your first game? Lets hope that's not the shape of things to come icon_biggrin.gif If so, I'll see you back over in the Tactics forum icon_wink.gif

I have been playing the old Championship Manager since its first edition (back in 1995 or 1996?) but took a break about 2 years back due to work commitments. When my good friend bought the game and told me how his team was faring, I decided to grab a copy and even bought a new desktop because my old one was simply too slow to run the game.

No games are flawless and the same goes for this one. I have seen posts about how good FM07 was or better than FM08 and I haven't played FM07. However, I do feel that FM08 has been extremely comprehensive and quite realistic to a certain extent. I spent at least 3 hours every night playing it and that shows how much I have enjoyed it. Some of the flaws are irritating but not to the extent where I will stop playing the game at least for now.

In fact, I did not really realize most of the obvious bugs or flaws in this match until I have visited this forum. All-in-all, well done SI but I hope you do take the fans' feedback into consideration because I believe most of us fans have been playing this game for many years. Cheers.

What do I enjoy most?

Looking after my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion - seeing them develop into a quality Championship team over 4 years.

Building a strong enough squad to have 2 quality players in every position. (Rotation)

Seeing my youngsters thrive in the reserves/u-18s then slowly bringing them into a regular spot in the senior squad.

for me, the most enjoyable part has been the match experience. Holding onto leads, tearing your hair in anger when you lose it, and celebrating at the final whistle just like IRL. Imagine my horror when DeMerit got sent off and Crystal Palace got a late equaliser...

In the words of Keegan 'I'd love it if we beat 'em. Love it!'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

I'm not sure what one new feature I love about FM08, it just generally 'feels' better than '07.

And Starr_Man, getting beat by Athletico in your first game? Lets hope that's not the shape of things to come icon_biggrin.gif If so, I'll see you back over in the Tactics forum icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very funny icon_biggrin.gif

My first friendly, was one of "those" games.

I went on and won the next 3 games against E. Fife (2-0), Hearts (5-0), and St Mirren (3-0).

The important stuff has started now and I'm yet to concede a goal in the first five competitive matches.

(Which means I'm about to go on a horor-streak anytime soon - see you at the T+TF mate icon_wink.gif )

I've enjoyed this year's game, lost in the many hours it takes to get Oldham into Europe. Thanks to SI for creating another addictive game, got home from uni yesterday and spend 9 hours on it before realising I had to get up for another lecture today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

Get over it.

What are you loving most? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said.

The aspect i'm most loving is that my players are now controlling games properly! i was having serious issues in 8.0.1 with this, but the latest patch seems to have fixed it. The fans must hate me though, i'm not playing like arsenal to say the least lol.

Archived