Welsh language

Hello FM-ers,

this is something I've been wondering for a while, but always forget to ask. Why is Welsh not a language in Football Manager? Players like Aaron Ramsey are bi-lingual, even Gabi Heinze would have it, yet it's not there.

It just seems weird that a lot of languages are ignored in Football Manager. It's not a huge issue, certainly not one that'll stop me buying the game, but like I said, I was wondering if anyone knew why it wasn't included?

It's not so widely spoken and virtually all Welsh speakers are bilingual so it wouldn't be of much benefit in real life or in the game. Still, I added it in the editor, though it would probably only affect regens as I didn't add it as a language for Ramsey etc.

How comes Heinze speaks Welsh? Not from chatting with Giggs! As Butt says, for little details like that, the editor is your friend.

I'd presume that he's from the Welsh-speaking community who live in Patagonia if he does, although how true it is would be interesting to know in his specific case.

To be blunt Welsh is not even Wales' primary language, something like only 20% of Welsh people are fluent in it. By some estimates Esperanto has more fluent speakers than Welsh.

There's not really any need for SI to put it in the game beyond as a curiosity. If a foriegn player goes to a Welsh club he'l be learning English as that's the primary language of the country.

he is indeed from patagonia.. and can indeed speak welsh fluently...

and as for calling welsh a curiosity in game.. gtfo tbh... the game has malagasy and other completely obscure languages... why not have a home countries language like welsh..

600,000 fluent speakers and most of the welsh population can speak it as a second language tbh..

needs to be in game

and as for calling welsh a curiosity in game.. gtfo tbh... the game has malagasy and other completely obscure languages... why not have a home countries language like welsh..

600,000 fluent speakers and most of the welsh population can speak it as a second language tbh..

needs to be in game

I think you're seeing it's omission as an insult rather than asking whether there is any need for it. Are there any clubs (in FM) where it would be necessary, or even of benefit for a player to be fluent in Welsh? Surely all of the clubs that would have any number of Welsh speakers would still use English as their main language, thereby making Welsh completely irrelevant (in this context).

If you feel that there is a need for the language to be supported, other than as a cosmetic detail, then you're right to criticize and should probably contact SI/SEGA to get an official word on it. Otherwise, it's just one of the millions of things that have been suggested that have, rightly or not, not been included thus far.

BTW I am half Welsh, with many Welsh relatives. From my experience, not so many people speak fluent Welsh anymore and the numbers are dwindling, since everyone routinely uses English only. While I would be happy if it were in the game, I really can't see what advantage or reason there would be to add it.

Maybe, if it is something you and others feel strongly about, you could just add it via the editor, as has been said before.

My mum's side are Welsh- it's safe to say that Welsh speakers are dropping. Heck, look at the census.

The Welsh language wouldn't serve a purpose in game. It may end up being bugged and stop players settling in Cardiff because they can only read half the road signs :(

My mum's side are Welsh- it's safe to say that Welsh speakers are dropping. Heck, look at the census.

The Welsh language wouldn't serve a purpose in game. It may end up being bugged and stop players settling in Cardiff because they can only read half the road signs :(

But us first language Welsh speakers are still about in some numbers ;)

But yeah, the different language issue may have unusual in-game effects although you do have to wonder whether it would accurately reflect the culture shock of moving to Bala. :D

As for Heinze, it's often said that he speaks fluent Welsh, but I've always thought it to be an urban myth as it's never properly sourced - there's only around 20,000 Welsh speakers in Patagonia now who can speak Welsh to any level at all, never mind fluently. Still, possible I guess.

But yeah, the different language issue may have unusual in-game effects although you do have to wonder whether it would accurately reflect the culture shock of moving to Bala. :D

I'm from Wrexham and I'd find moving to Bala a bit too much of a culture shock! :D

Theres a huge number of missing language in fm, the fact is they're generally all ones like welsh where it doesn't really make any difference. They would just be an extra language that doesn't change anything since everyone that speaks welsh speaks english too.

Many of the other missing languages, for example hundreds of African and Asian languages just simplify the game massively by assuming the people speak the official language which certainly is not true for much for much of Africa.

needs to be in game

Uh, welshace, you are aware that Malagasy is spoken by around 20 million people, right? It's Welsh that's the obscure language, not Malagasy.

Also, Heinze as stated above is not from Patagonia.

I have no problem with the Welsh nationalist movement, but there's no point quibbling over what is such a minor point in FM. Adding Welsh would prove of no real benefit to the game.

P.S. I hate Welsh. I tried learning the medieval variety at university and it drove me insane. Stupid mutation! ;)

There's no need for Welsh. I say that as an Irish person.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who only spoke Welsh. Thus it's bearing on the game is fairly minimal.

Ditto. That said, I'm Scottish and do know of a lady who only speaks Gaelic (she understands English perfectly fine but refuses to speak it), but people like that are few and far between.

Theres a huge number of missing language in fm, the fact is they're generally all ones like welsh where it doesn't really make any difference. They would just be an extra language that doesn't change anything since everyone that speaks welsh speaks english too.

Many of the other missing languages, for example hundreds of African and Asian languages just simplify the game massively by assuming the people speak the official language which certainly is not true for much for much of Africa.

Actually, due to the history of population movement in Africa, alot of Africa speaks 1 very similar language.

In short, the Bantu people from West Africa migrated to the area around the Nigerian and Cameroonian border. The Bantu people were more advanced then their african nieghbours, and also had Agriculture, which gave them a huge huge huge advantage. The Bantu people then went on to rapidly conquer most of the rest of Africa South and East of Cameroon(aside from a few remnents of Pigmy and Khoison peoples, which was for the Pigmies, because they couldn't at first adapt to the Congolese rainforests, and for the Khoisons, they got completely eliminated except for a few areas like deserts, or the Cape of Good Hope because the Bantu crops couldn't adapt).

Thus, this recent population movement caused most of Africa South and East of Cameroon to speak 300 or so very similar languages, as the language hasn't had enough time to diversify since the recent Bantu expansion. Many people claim that is is not 300 or so languages, but rather 300 accents or dialects of one single language.

But this is only for South and Eastern Africa, Western African dialects have had much more time to diversify themselves and are thus different, plus alot of them speak their colonial language. And in Ethiopia and the area, they speak a language similar(same family) as Hebrew.

So SI got the languages for Africa right intentionally or not intentionally. :p

Archived