Off-side rule

The only part of this rule I don't understand is this. If the opposition player is yards off side and one of my players kicks the ball into another of my own team and it bounces back into the path of the player who is off side. Does that still count as off side even though they never touched the ball?

Quote from Wiki....

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a team-mate is only committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, he becomes actively involved in play by

Interfering with play.

Playing or touching the ball

Interfering with an opponent

Preventing the opponent from playing the ball by obstructing the players sight or intentionally distracting the opponent

Gains an advantage by being in an offside position.

Plays the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the keeper, or any opponent

So it would seem from this that yes he would be deemed to be off-side.

The only part of this rule I don't understand is this. If the opposition player is yards off side and one of my players kicks the ball into another of my own team and it bounces back into the path of the player who is off side. Does that still count as off side even though they never touched the ball?

The opposition didn't pass him the ball...

Kinda, my defender hit the ball against my midfielder and it bounced back into the path of the opposition striker who was miles off side in the first place and he was allowed to carry on and score. So technically speaking they never touched the ball until I passed it to the player off side.

This is correct if the ball has initially been played by an attacker and then any of the above scenarios occur

But the ball hasn't been played by an attacker. One of his players, kicked it against another one of his own players.

Yeah, I would report it. If it wasn't played, or touched by the opposition, then he can't be offside.

Then he aint off-side. That's cheating lol I could just stand way up front hoping the opposition pass to me by mistake.

Can anyone confirm whether the AI recognises that a player cannot be given offside if he is within his own half?

I'm almost sure that I've seen offsides given before the ball has crossed the halfway line in the past.

Oh and BTW the player cannot be given offside in the OPs example, because the ball was not played by a player on his team. Think about the number of times that an attacker has intercepted a goal kick/throw and scored IRL. It's perfectly legal.

Archived