I suck at this game!

I'm generally quite decent on the PC version so probably naively thought I would be just as good as this! How wrong I was!

I nearly got Sunderland relegated in my first season there and at the end of the campaign was sacked because the players had lost faith in me. I then decided to start a game with Man City and did pretty poor there too, getting sacked midway through the campaign because the team was in mid-table and the owners expected a European position.

I have now just started with Derby County. Anybody know any decent tactics that might help? Cheers!

No tactics will help you if you don't know how to interact with players, keep them motivated, up their morale, monitor their consistency, and take care of team gelling.

This is all much harder in FM2010 no matter what patch.

My advices:

-Get good Assistant with high motivating, discipline and tactical knowledge.

-Let him handle the press.

-Ask for advice on team talks, but tweak according to your feeling.

-Don't use harsh team talks if any of the players have less than good morale.

-When you have bad result streak it is the worse time to make tactical changes.

-Sell the players that want to go, unless you are absolutely sure you can keep them happy.

-Check players personality before you assign him captain. Ambitious, perfectionist and such are more prone to turn others against you and disrupt team morale after bad results.

-Never buy more than 4 first team players per season if you want any more success than avoid relegation.

-Don't be afraid to discipline players for violent behavior, dismissal, poor performance. Ignore them complaining afterward, they will forgive you soon.

I'm generally quite decent on the PC version so probably naively thought I would be just as good as this! How wrong I was!

I nearly got Sunderland relegated in my first season there and at the end of the campaign was sacked because the players had lost faith in me. I then decided to start a game with Man City and did pretty poor there too, getting sacked midway through the campaign because the team was in mid-table and the owners expected a European position.

I have now just started with Derby County. Anybody know any decent tactics that might help? Cheers!

Maybe you could download the no sacking unlockable to give you more time in charge of each club.

After a few saves you will be as good as you were on the PC Version. :thup:

First of all by picking Sunderland and starting at the top you can go nowhere but down. Earn your spurs in the BSP, how realistic is it starting in the Prem when you have no credibility and your naivete will be punished by your vastly more experienced peers. Your pride has been your undoing. FHM is the most unforgiving of all FM variants. You simply need to take your lumps and get on with it. Your players smell your fear and have turned on you.

Rest in peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Telling people that they are sh** at the game aint really goin to help is it. safcrhys for me when things don't go well I change the tactics from 4-4-2 with wingers attacking to 3-4-1-2. With the first tactic I put wingers with loads of pace so that they can get behind the defence. With the second tactic I put my AM attacking in the box. You would need a good AM though. Try these tactics out they may just work. (Not as easy as football director is it lol).

• SI Staff

If you struggle on any of our games then I generally suggest that you try and first get your teams defense settled and solid, then work on loosening up a little and creating more attacks up front.

In FMH terms - this generally means play a 4-1-3-2 and using the holding DMC to support the defense, tell the team to press and keep things tight generally.

(yes its not exactly 'Arsenal' taking this approach, but its proven to be a reliable way of starting a dynasty from scratch for me over a period of many years)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived