Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

i just started up a new game with everton, and when i saved it i pressed control and s and it saved straight away without asking what do you want to save file name as, and it saved over my united game which i had played over 7 seasons in and was really enjoying it. why didnt the game ask me what i wanted to save the game as and just overwrite my other game... ive gt a backup save some where on my pc but its only like 2 seasons in. is there a spftware that would let me recover my game. or did i just spent all that time for no reason

You would think people would learn to at least use a 3 save rolling option, so at worst you only lose a month or so of gameplay.

It's harsh, but you really should be more careful. I now autosave every week, have a 3 save backup for each game so this doesn't happen to me. FM10 saves so ridiculously fast that it's no hassle to autosave, unlike FM08 or FM09. I'm not an expert on recovering files, but now that it's overwritten it could be tough to recover it.. because it hasn't actually been deleted or anything, just the data has been re-written.

Are you sure you don't have a backup of the save somewhere? By default, it makes 3 saves, I think..

yeh managing man utd, anyways disaster has been solved, windows 7 probably the best thing ive ever bought, when i went to my save file there was an option there to restore the file to a previous version and the latest version i could restore was to one earlier this week, got my game back.WOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! from now on i am going to use the rolling auto save

Ah, that's good to hear UF, I didn't know about that myself.. but I'm not an expert. Good to hear you got your file back though. Anyway, rolling auto save is good - takes no time at all to do and can save a lot of trouble!

yeh i used to do rolling saves in earlier fm's but then for some reason stop doing it, i think it was to do with my crappy computer back then because it started to take forever to save after a few seasons in and it became really annoying

I had this happen to me but I'm on XP. But it was a corrupt save. Any chance of me getting it back?

I've still got it saved in the hope that one day, I will find a cure!

hmm duno as the save is corrupt very unlikely you'll be able to revive it try looking at google to see if you find anything

He said he was managing United.

I think it is widely accepted that "United" is referring to Manchester United - if ever you listen to football commentary etc i.e Newcastle V MU - "Its United on the attack", everone would know is Man United. ( Never mind a league 1 team lol )

i just started up a new game with everton, and when i saved it i pressed control and s and it saved straight away without asking what do you want to save file name as, and it saved over my united game which i had played over 7 seasons in and was really enjoying it. why didnt the game ask me what i wanted to save the game as and just overwrite my other game... ive gt a backup save some where on my pc but its only like 2 seasons in. is there a spftware that would let me recover my game. or did i just spent all that time for no reason

If you use a recover deleted files piece of software, your game should still be there if you have not really done much on your comp since then. :D

Just use it t look in the specific folder where you keep your saved games.

Just a thought...if you was/our managing Man United and enjoying it why would you start a completely new game with Everton??

I can understand beginning with a new team in a new league..but a team in the same league?

Then again i am the type that never starts again...im in 2020 in my one and only save and still going strong :D

Yes it is.

My advice to the OP is simply learn how use a computer before you start complaining.

Next he'll be complaining a game was deleted when he pressed the "delete" button. :D

Yeah...and it's SI's responsibility to inject more transfer funds in your current game whenever you press 'delete' button. A 'delete' button should never delete anything. :D:D:D

People need to be a lot more careful with their FM Saves :D

Mine is auto-saved every day, with 3 rolling files. As soon as it is saved, I use SugarSync (Google it) to upload it to my SugarSync account on the internet, so it is always backed up there. At the end of a long run of playing it, I then copy it onto my USB stick and onto my other PC.

I care probably a bit too much about FM saves.

In FM (as in pretty much every Windows app):

Ctrl+S = Save

Ctrl+Shift+S = Save As

Open a new file in pretty much any application. Press ctrl+s. Was one of your old files rewritten or did the save as dialog appear? Apparently FM works differently.

Most important lessons that playing FM has taught me:

1) Make backup save at least once a year (I'll do it every summer in July). Let's say that your season goes very poorly and you'll get sacked, you can start over from this season.

2) Keep your backup saves on different HDD. Or at least not your system partition. SI by default keeps them in my documents folder, so computer/windows/HDD/partition crash may be very costly.

oh well...lesson learned i guess. Its still a bug though. In every program ctrl+s acts as save as in case you open a new file/project.

It's not a bug, people have to change to fit new things. If I drove over to Europe from the UK and spent all my time driving on the left side of the road in Europe, would that be acceptable? What would I say to the police? "Sorry officer, but on every road in the UK I drive on the left". No, I'd have to change to suit how the roads on the continent work, same with FM.

ah simple my friend YOU CAN FIX THIS just go to... oh wait i just have to answer the phone......

Open a new file in pretty much any application. Press ctrl+s. Was one of your old files rewritten or did the save as dialog appear? Apparently FM works differently.

OK, opened up Visual Studio, created a new file, pressed Ctlr-S. Result: "Save As" dialog.

Opened FM, started a new save, pressed Ctrl-S. Guess what? "Save As" dialog.

Apparently, FM works exactly the same.

I feel for you man but how can you name it the same as your other game? Use rolling saves, or at least backup that game yourself now and then, I'm afraid you learned the hard way :(

My job is in ICT and I still haven't been able to recover files that were 'oversaved', I had this with an Outlook PST file, it crashed and it became 0kb big, I tried 2 days getting it back (was for my boss :s his outlook is always open so it never made a backup) but didn't succeed. And yes I still have my job :p

People need to be a lot more careful with their FM Saves :D

Mine is auto-saved every day, with 3 rolling files. As soon as it is saved, I use SugarSync (Google it) to upload it to my SugarSync account on the internet, so it is always backed up there. At the end of a long run of playing it, I then copy it onto my USB stick and onto my other PC.

I care probably a bit too much about FM saves.

Wow, that is overkill!!!

I just have automated full hard drive weekly back ups to an external hard drive. I learnt the hard way in having an internal hard drive failure and not being able to retrieve anything from it. FM save was the least of my worries then as all the family videos and pictures were on the drive.

I can also add a tip : Karen's Replicator !

A free program that can schedule backups, I use it everywhere, at home and every pc at work that has important data on it, makes my job a lot easier :D

Just if you use network drives make sure you're logged on or have the same user/pw for it as you pc.

OK, opened up Visual Studio, created a new file, pressed Ctlr-S. Result: "Save As" dialog.

Opened FM, started a new save, pressed Ctrl-S. Guess what? "Save As" dialog.

Apparently, FM works exactly the same.

If that is the case then i have no idea what the hell the original poster did. Perhaps if you load on old game and then create a new game it overwrites your previous game. I sure as hell am not going to test this :)

Archived