Why does the AI turn into Dutch Total Football when they go down to 10 men?

Has anyone ever found playing against 10 men easier than 11?

Every time the computer gets a player sent off I know I am screwed. A crap team like Burnley will go from playing long ball with crap touches to the most incisive, one touch, brilliant football the world has ever witnessed - and they do it all with a man down playing a dumb 4-3-2 formation with 1 CM.

I know sometimes a player getting sent off can be a rallying cry to the team, but EVERY time the computer gets a player sent off I know they are either coming back to tie or win the game. Maybe one time they should get demoralized and struggle playing down a man, especially with only one player in the entire middle of the park?

Why go controlling?

When the other team go down to 10, they're likely to want to play a fast, counter attacking game, or an ultra defensive one. Control football, ie. slow short passing, really isn't going to be too effective, particularly when the other team are going to be eager to win the ball back.

Pick up the speed a bit and increase the freedom and roaming and look to exploit the gaps with quick passing and movement.

See, I find "control+relevant shouts" works brilliantly :D

If on one occasion, it isn't working, look at their new formation, and try and exploit the weaknesses. If there aren't any (4-4-1), and control isn't working, then just go hell for leather. Eventually, they'll make a mistake and you will score.

Yes, the computer teams are very good at playing shorthanded.

This one time I was playing 11 vs 8 (no idea why they only had 8 players, only 1 was sent off), I had something like 30 shots, and of course, they equalized in stoppage time.

No, it's every time and frankly I don't even know what to do anymore about it. I try playing more control strategy. I've tried playing normally. I've even tried defending more. Nothing works, it's inevitable.

That's your problem, you are inviting them onto you,and also telling your men to play differently to how they normally play.

If I go a goal down, which isnt often in tier 7, I keep 3 CB at the back, push all 4 midfielders just behind the 3 central strikers, and since many teams do man marking, it usually isnt long before i find an equaliser, effectively playing with 7 strikers.

I would recommend keeping your tactic set up as it is, and possibly even telling them to 'push up higher' once they go down to 10 men.

I've actually noticed this, too, since about FM 2008.

I can't say I've noticed it to be a game-killer, where they always dominate the rest of the match... but they definitely do play significantly better as soon as they lose someone.

i use the touchline shout "pass into space" theres always space to find when the other team gets reduced to 10 men and passing the ball into space will get your team playing fluidly and stretching the opposition. It probably wouldn't work for every team though.

maybe control and pass to feet and retain possession, GK - defender collect?

and harrass opponent and stay on feet too?

of coz that is not the one-way solution, if they put out 4-1-4, then put all ur defenders to direct/long passing and not short passing cuz they will be harrassed by those 4 opponent players upfront and short passes will get easily intercepted esp since defenders dun have gd passing

and stuff like that yeah

Playing against 10 men is easy. Especially if they are behind in terms of goals. For me i pull back the CMs to DMs position and continue attacking. I like to control the midfield and starve them of possession. How are they going to score if they do not have the ball??? LOL.

Archived