Thinking of creating a 1997-1998 database....

Lately i have been growing bored of the same old same old on fm 2010 and i have been thinking about creating a 1997-1998 EPL database compleate with finances, free agents etc

If anyone has any useful info on the players (stats personal info etc)/managers/teams etc from the 1997/1998 season it will greatly appreciated.

Once i have compleated the database i will provide a link on here so everyone can enjoy it.

Thanks in advance

If I were you I'd try to get hold of a copy of CM 97/98 that way you can mine the database for all the info that you need.

Yeah im currently downloading the pc version of preimier manager 1998 to gain more info (and for nostalgic reasons as it was the first manager game i ever played although it was the ps1 version) if i remember correctly the two best players in the game were Shearer and Ronaldo. I think juve were the best team on the game also.

Do you think that this resembled real life football in 1998?

I'd probably use http://www.soccerbase.com/ for the squads. Also, might be worth checking out wikipedia as well.

Will be interesting to see this patch. Port Vale were still in the Championship then. :thup:

I think ill start by just having the prem and if that works then i will try and branch out in to other majory leagues (italiand spanish prem etc) before i try the championship which i rekon will be harder to do.

Ill use wikipedia for most of the personal info on the players but i think the most difficult thing will be editing the teams reputations and financial prowess.

I think ill start by just having the prem and if that works then i will try and branch out in to other majory leagues (italiand spanish prem etc) before i try the championship which i rekon will be harder to do.

Ill use wikipedia for most of the personal info on the players but i think the most difficult thing will be editing the teams reputations and financial prowess.

God that is a big challenge mate, good luck tho

As for whether CM9798 was realistic, SI definitely tried as hard as they do now to replicate real life. It was far easier to do well at the game IMO but it was still far more detailed and advanced than any other game out at that time. Premier Manager, pah!

If you can be bothered I would play that CM9798 version for a while to get a feel for the different teams and players. I think it was the first one where you could run multiple leagues, but maybe i'm getting mixed up.

All i can say about it is I was gutted when i reached 30 seasons and the game ended after winning 10 european cups with Ajax, MVV Maastricht and Heerenveen! Totally addictive!

I have decided to start by editing Liverpool as they are the team that i support and the team which i have the most knowledge on.

I have retired all of the liverpool players who were under 28 (as in 1998 thye would have been younger than 16 and i dont know any other way to delete them) and edited the ages of the liverpool players who are over 28 with only Steven Gerrard (16) and Jamie Carragher (18) staying on at the club from the current players (released the other players who were over 28 will try and get them to their correct clubs later but at the moment it means that there is a 17 year old Kuyt and a 19 year old Kyriakos etc avaliable on a free lol)

I have also changed the chairmin of the club back to David Moores, put Rick Parry back in his old position as director and added roy evans as manager but cant seem to find out who his coaching staff were at the time (might add gerard houlier as assistant manager and make roy evans retire in 1999 making it close to what happened in real life).

One more thing that i have done so far is add all of the players (only about 6) who are still playing now and who were playing for liverpool in 1998 (Owen, James, Friedel etc) and edited their ages, ca's and stats accordingly.

Any questions/thoughts on what i have done so far?

Will provide screenshots soon.

a quick check on wikipedia seems to suggest Ronnie Moran was a coach at Liverpool then and it was him who was replaced by Houllier the next season. Good luck creating this though, finding the data will be hard and it will take a lot of time and effort to adjust the English leagues accordingly never mind any more you might do

a quick check on wikipedia seems to suggest Ronnie Moran was a coach at Liverpool then and it was him who was replaced by Houllier the next season. Good luck creating this though, finding the data will be hard and it will take a lot of time and effort to adjust the English leagues accordingly never mind any more you might do

Ronnie Moran may have been a coach but i am sure he was never manager. Roy evans and Houlier (cant spell it even though ima Liverpool fan :p) had a joint manager thing going on for a while until Houlier took over. Might have a look on wiki to see what it says. Thanks for your feedback.

Edit: Clarification from Wikipedia

"First-team coach Ronnie Moran took charge of team affairs for several weeks before Graeme Souness was named as Dalglish's successor. Under Souness, Liverpool won the FA Cup in 1992, but nothing else. He made way for Roy Evans, who also won just one trophy, the League Cup, before Gérard Houllier was appointed joint manager with Evans in 1998. This arrangement lasted only 18 games before Evans resigned, leaving Houllier — Liverpool's first non-British manager — in sole charge"

Screenshots incoming

I am using a mega facepack on fm and dont know how to change players pics so the players retained their old faces.

Steven Gerrard at 16:

16yearoldgerra.jpg

Michael Owen at 17:

17_yera_old_owen.jpg

David James at 27:

27_year_old_david_james.jpg

Patrick Burger:

23yearoldbuerge.jpg

Burger is the only person so far who i have had trouble editing as in the game he starts off with and injury but on the editor it says he doesnt have an injury also i cannot seem to make him have a proper contract on the editor. Can anyone help me with this?

I have also created made Brad Friedel and Jamie Carragher 26 and 18 respectively as well as edited Danny Murphy (20), Stepthen Wright (17) and Dominic Matteo (23)

Anyfeedback from these screenshots would be greatly appriciated.

Update

I have created all 33 players of the 1998 Liverpool team. Will do the other prem teams alphabetically.

Liverpool First team

Compleate_liverpool_squad.jpg

Liverpool Reserves and Youth

liverpool_reserves.jpg

I did not make the players loan or transfer listed the game must have done that to the players it didnt think are good enough for liverpool (such as Kavame) or ones who could benifit from going out on loan.

Jamie Redknapp 23

jamie_redknapp_23.jpg

Steve Mcmanaman (best name ever) 25

steve_macmannanamananan_25.jpg

Will start on Aston Villa tomorrow.

I am trying to gain more info by downloading cm 1998 (or cm 2) but cant seem to find it anywhere if anyone knows what i can download it from i will be greatful.

What do you think so far?

Fulham only in old div 2 in 97/98, boo.

think you've taken on a hell of a lot, iirc somebody had a database for this season on FM09, may be worth looking for that.

Steve McManaman a bit underrated there also imo

if you are doing it on your own manually this will never end unless you are just content to form memorial squads of certain teams. Also very likely you will have odd history data for players which you are editing.

if you are doing it on your own manually this will never end unless you are just content to form memorial squads of certain teams. Also very likely you will have odd history data for players which you are editing.

I dont think that it will take too long as it only took me 2-3 days to create the entire liverpool team however i do admit history data is a bit off atm.

Thanks for all of your feedback's.

Just got one more screenshot i'd like to share which if of Robbie "GOD" Fowler (my favorite footballer ever).

godj.jpg

A lot of the players i have shown have got quite high PA's so there will be scope for improvement in players such as Robbie.

What do you think of the stats that i have given the players so far?

Going to be starting on Aston Villa in a min.

hope you can be unbiased in your database, in which case Man U and Arsenal would be superteams.

Also now thinking this should be moved to the editors forum

I just rate them how i see them.

I think Arsenal won the league that year so they will probably have the best team.

What do you rekon i should do about finances i was thinking of just halfing all of the prem teams balance, transfer budget etc (only majorly tweaking man city and chelsea) and halfing the tv money what do you think?

Fowler 15 for finishing? If he isn't an 18+ I don't know who is! Just my opinion, its your database at the end of the day mate.

Is there a way where this could be split between different people? I'm sure a lot of people would offer to help, myself included.

yeah i was thinking of putting fowlers finishing and pace up and lowering his other stats

How would spliting it work?

Personally the David James stats are a little out, I'm on about the "Eccentricity" stat which is 11 on your game. Imo it should be around 16 at least considering his nickname was Calamity and he made a lot of mistakes and upping this stat would increase his chances of making a mistake.

Personally the David James stats are a little out, I'm on about the "Eccentricity" stat which is 11 on your game. Imo it should be around 16 at least considering his nickname was Calamity and he made a lot of mistakes and upping this stat would increase his chances of making a mistake.

Good point i was also thinking of putting hs concentration down as he was pretty much a donkey when he was at liverpool. A bit wierd how James can be better at 37 then when he was 27 (same with Friedel really).

Decided to put the teams in the right divisions before doing anything else

Priemier league:

Ins: Leeds, Derby, Leister (cant spell :p), Coventry, Southampton, Wimboldon(will just change mkdons), Sheff Weds, Barnsley, Crystal Palace and Newcastle.

Outs: Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester city, Stoke, Burnley, Fulham, Wigan, Sunderland, Hull and Portsmouth.

10 changes in premier league teams in 12 years!

Decided to put the teams in the right divisions before doing anything else

Priemier league:

Ins: Leeds, Derby, Leister (cant spell :p), Coventry, Southampton, Wimboldon(will just change mkdons), Sheff Weds, Barnsley, Crystal Palace and Newcastle.

Outs: Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester city, Stoke, Burnley, Fulham, Wigan, Sunderland, Hull and Portsmouth.

10 changes in premier league teams in 12 years!

Its Leicester ;)

This looks great, good luck :thup:

Wow so he was out for 7-8 months? Do you rekon i should implement this into the game?

Depends how realistic you want it to be really, I'd probably leave it out (mainly because Newcastle would be crap without him) because you'd then have to put in all over long term injuries ;)

Depends how realistic you want it to be really, I'd probably leave it out (mainly because Newcastle would be crap without him) because you'd then have to put in all over long term injuries ;)

Good point ive probably got enough to do anyway :p so ill leave injuries out.

Everyone can start with a clean squad :)

micheal owen was surely alot better then that, the 98 world cup was after the 97-98 season and he was amazing there

Yeah maybe, but he was an emerging talent really back then. If anything he should have a higher PA as although his impact at the WC was immenese, he still improved afterwards.

micheal owen was surely alot better then that, the 98 world cup was after the 97-98 season and he was amazing there

Michael Owen had only played one professional game in his carrer when the 1997-1998 season started (i think) and was only 17. He has got a very high PA tho so he will improve lots.

Here is a screenshot of what the reputations and finances of the prem league teams are. (i did both the rep and finances of the teams based on where they finished in the 1996-1997 season)

rep_and_finances.jpg

Do you think they are too high, too low or just right?

Also i wiped the debts and future income of every club and now only chelsea have a debt (around 20mil). I really should give leeds a bit of debt as well tho lol.

Archived