Question about player bonuses and why...

I'm playing in the lower leagues(England) and the first go around with Dorchester, I was able to offer bonuses in the player contracts. This kept the monthly salary reasonable and I made some of the money back on friendlys. I got sacked, so this year I'm starting with a new promoted team and they will not let me offer bonuses. That area is "grayed out" so it's not even an option. Now obviously, I understand it has to do with their budget, and probably the fact that they're coming up from a lower division, but is there anywhere within the game or when I look at the clubs "information" that would tell me whether I can offer bonuses in a players original contract?

Also, is there a chance I can review their financial situation before I sign on, as far as what is the maximum payroll allowed, etc. Thanks!

I don't think there is, although there might be on the "offer contract" screen. I'm 100% sure but I think bonuses depend on the clubs finances rather than wage/transfer budget. Obviously if a club has poor finances, a bonus payout could cripple them, especially if you put a high goal bonus and the player ends up scoring 30 goals a season.

The game doesn't allow you to see the details of a club's finances or financial policy until you sign for them. It's an interesting point re. realism. I don't know but I guess some boards and chairmen are willing to discuss such details with a prospective manager and some aren't.

If you are Guus Hiddinck, or a World Class manager in FM, most boards would acquiesce to your request to study the books and get assurances, and this should be in the game when negotiating a contract. On the other hand, if you're an obscure or unproven nobody getting your first job at a non-league club, I suppose you just have to get what you're given and be grateful.

Archived