Player Development

Hi all,

Just after some clarification around player development.

As I understand it a young player developing would be better off playing regular football in a higher reputation competition, I.e playing first team football in the Premiership compared to playing in the reserves in Portugal.

Does this apply to all competitions (e.g. league cups) and is it dependant on the quality of the opposition? Or is the reputation number of the competition just a multiplier for their advancement rate (along with the various other factors such as training facilities)?

I think that you could struggle to find an answer for this, as that is the complex workings of the game.

But, anyway, if we compare it to real life, it is obvious that a player would develop better in a higher reputation/quality league, as they will play againsts better players. And, therefore will learn to play against this standard of opposition. If a young player in real life plays in a high standard league, where they play the ball quickly. Then, if he is slow on the ball then he will lose the ball repeatedly, but he will learn from this, and play the ball quicker over time. Now, I know that the game is not as realistic as this but I think that it is probably something quite similar.

Personally, I give my youngsters as much playing time as I can possibly without risking compromising results. So, I play them in all of the cup matches against lesser opposition, and even include 1 or two of the best youngsters against similar competition. Training facilities, schedules and coaches are the most important factors in my eyes, as long as they get a small amount of first team football and regular reserve action.

So to conclude, I can't answer you question but those are my thoughts on the subject.

Well I saw the best development in my youngsters when they had prolonged first team football when my first choice for their position was out. I think that for any young player over 18/19 first team experience is vital for them to improve and reach their potential.

Well I saw the best development in my youngsters when they had prolonged first team football when my first choice for their position was out. I think that for any young player over 18/19 first team experience is vital for them to improve and reach their potential.

Yeah, I agree with you here. At the age of 19, they need regular first team action.

A good way of doing it is having two young players (both good) for the same position, and giving them half a season each. This way they both improve, don't suffer from burn-out and you always have an option if injuries/bans occur.

Hi all,

Just after some clarification around player development.

As I understand it a young player developing would be better off playing regular football in a higher reputation competition, I.e playing first team football in the Premiership compared to playing in the reserves in Portugal.

Does this apply to all competitions (e.g. league cups) and is it dependant on the quality of the opposition? Or is the reputation number of the competition just a multiplier for their advancement rate (along with the various other factors such as training facilities)?

AFAIK the club's training facilities and coaches make naff all difference. There are 2 key factors - playing football and - the point you're waiting for - the level of football, which is measured in terms of reputation.

Therefore, with the FA Cup rep being 15, and German 2nd division 12, it would be better to play a game in the FA Cup first round with a non-league side than a match with the table-topper of Bundesliga 2. That's my interpretation, anyway. You can use the editor to check a league's reputation before you send a player on loan.

What's not so clear is the tipping-point whereby the level is too low to make the loan worthwhile for the player's development. There are variables involved, and other factors I'm not yet aware of.

AFAIK the club's training facilities and coaches make naff all difference. There are 2 key factors - playing football and - the point you're waiting for - the level of football, which is measured in terms of reputation.

Therefore, with the FA Cup rep being 15, and German 2nd division 12, it would be better to play a game in the FA Cup first round with a non-league side than a match with the table-topper of Bundesliga 2. That's my interpretation, anyway. You can use the editor to check a league's reputation before you send a player on loan.

What's not so clear is the tipping-point whereby the level is too low to make the loan worthwhile for the player's development. There are variables involved, and other factors I'm not yet aware of.

Just reading that, and remembering a conversation I had about "the tipping point", I wonder if Player Reputation versus Club Reputation might be the issue.

AFAIK how well the players perform also comes into it. I know this was definitely the case for FML but not sure if its the same for FM10. The player should be averaging at least 6.9 to develop well.

Yes, this comes down to the level of football.

Too low and they aren't tested, too high and they can't cope.

I have an 18yo DC who I threw into first team action this season after a regular DC broke his leg. His attributes suggest he should be fine but after 3-4 matches his performances dipped to around 5.5-6.5

I'm now left with the choice of loaning him out next season a couple of divisions lower or keeping him to use in a backup role giving him around 10 appearances.

Pretty sure club training facilities does make a difference

AFAIK how well the players perform also comes into it. I know this was definitely the case for FML but not sure if its the same for FM10. The player should be averaging at least 6.9 to develop well.

Hmm, interesting. Is this true for reserve and U19 fixtures too?

Archived