[10.3] To patch, or not to patch, that is the question:

First off, I know, there's an "official feedback thread", and I have read every post in all twelve pages of it. Though I am finding it mostly full of posts where people are unfortunately having problems with actually running the game on the new patch; and hence it doesn't contain very much of the kind of 'feedback' I am looking for.

If this topic is still considered by SI as one to be closed, then fair enough, but I was hoping to use it purely for garnering feedback in connection with certain aspects of the game itself under the new patch, that I would like to recieve a broad range of opinions on from you.

After trying 10.2 for a bit, whilst it made certain improvements, I eventually felt that the new problems it created outweighed the benefits, so I reverted to 10.1 as I never experienced many of the bugs reported with 10.1 myself and was happy with it, apart from a few small areas.

What I would like to know, is in your opinion having played a bit on 10.3, how does it stack up in the following areas:

- Defending: This is pretty much my only real 'gripe' with 10.1. It is very frustrating when your defenders are making great tackles, but the game fails to recognize them for what they are; tackles, not clearances or interceptions. When my centre backs are playing well, but not getting the ratings they deserve, as the game does not recognize their true contribution; it is frustrating to see them regularly make no tackles (according to the game), when they make several quality ones.

In your experience, how does 10.3 perform in this regard?

Because, an improvement in this area is really the only thing I'd feel would make it worth my while in applying the new patch, and thereby taking on board many things I didn't like with 10.2. I was all excited and ready to apply 10.3, but have since read accounts that defending in general has some issues for some people. I like defending on 10.1, just not the way it is interpreted in the match ratings, and would rather make do as I am, than apply a patch that will make defending worse.

- Wingers: I was a bit frustrated with them on 10.2, but happy with them on 10.1, and again, reluctant to change if not for an improvement. I've read some accounts of their crosses only being converted by the opposite winger, and forwards not scoring from crosses, or even actively leaving a goal-scoring position to let the other winger in for it. My game is all about good wide play, and on 10.1, my main 6' 3" target man loves the service and eats crosses for breakfast. I don't want to lose that, as it is one of the parts of the way I love to play the game which provides me with the greatest enjoyment.

Please offer your experiences in this regard.

- Goalkeepers: Sometimes under par on 10.1, but like watching "Mighty Mouse" on speed in 10.2. ;)

RyvMGl.jpg

I prefer under par than super human, so how do you rate their performance on 10.3?

- Strikers: Perfectly happy with mine on 10.1, and I'm sure I need not list my dissappointments in them on 10.2, as they are well documented. In your experience, are they doing what they're paid for on 10.3?

In addition to those questions, and just in general, bearing in mind that I did not have most of the problems many had with 10.1 and my only real gripe was the lack of match engine recognition in what constitutes a tackle; imagine that, (if like me) this was the only problem you had with 10.1, having played 10.3, would you recommend 10.3 or stick with 10.1?

Thank you for reading, and for any input you can offer. :)

Not sure I'll cover all parts or your post, but here goes.

The rating system seems to value both build up play as well as defending all over the pitch much higher. I've had defenders get above 7,5 without scoring goals or making assists, and I've had midfielders getting as high as 9,0 without making a single assist or goal!

Generally my defensive midfielders score an average rating of 7,3 now, whereas earlier they'd have around 7 if I was lucky, likewise I see my offensive minded midfielders occasionally get MoM even though I score a lot of goals and said midfielder didn't put up a single assist/goal. Good passes, interceptions, runs, getting fouled, etc. seems to be rated higher now.

When it comes to wide play, it does seem to work quite a bit better, in my most recent season as Arsenal, I had 15 assists from my full backs, even though they are all defensive minded both in stats and in the way I make them play. Generally it seems making runs out wide is easier, and crosses hit home a lot more too, so I think you'll be happy about that.

Personally I love the new patch, and I suspect you will as well.

My thoughts exactly. For fap's sake! ;):D

Haha, Fap-five! :D

No offense really to the original poster but that's whole lot of text just to decide "should i patch or would i lose my virginity if i do". Nike said just do it :thup:

From what I've seen it removes all income and expenditure for deals over 'x months' etc. Seeing as I have a lot of income through these deals I don't want to patch to see it's all gone.

I've just checked and all of my clauses are present and correct.

I have a feeling this issue might be a rare one. Can't you just patch, then open up the save and see if everything is there? If it isn't, don't save, unpatch and you'll be fine. Otherwise, you can carry on and keep playing your save on 10.3.

Archived