Some thing weird I noticed

In the game (patch 10.3) kevin davies has got a tackling stat of 17 whereas the two best centerbacks in England (in my opinion) Jamie Carragher and John Terry have only got tackling of 16!

Do you think that this is just a mistake by the researchers at SI or a conspiracy revolving around the player who has conceded the most fouls in the EPL in the last 3 years running?

Just because his tackling stat is higher it doesn't make him the better tackler. You also need positioning, anticipation, bravery, and probably also strength and agility imo, which Terry and carragher have high numbers for almost all of these. Don't just look at the 1 attribute, look at all of them in conjunction. Same as finishing and composure.

Just because his tackling stat is higher it doesn't make him the better tackler. You also need positioning, anticipation, bravery, and probably also strength and agility imo, which Terry and carragher have high numbers for almost all of these. Don't just look at the 1 attribute, look at all of them in conjunction. Same as finishing and composure.

Fair point but kevin davies has got 14 for positioning, 17 for antitipation, 19 for bravery and 18 for strength.

Kevin Davies is notoriously one of the dirtiest players in the league - I think he's finished with most fouls in the league for four seasons in a row? The fact he even has a tackling stat is shocking.

I dont support Bolton, but i think you will find he is the MOST fouled player in the league :thup:

I dont support Bolton, but i think you will find he is the MOST fouled player in the league :thup:
As has already been mentioned, he's notorious for having consistently committed the most fouls of any player in the Premiership, not for taking them. He's currently topping the list this year, and he's been first or second in terms of fouls committed in the Premiership every single season since 2003/04 (second behind Patrick Vieira in 2003/04 and behind John Carew in 2007/08, and first in 2004/05, 2005/06, 2006/07, 2008/09 and currently topping 2009/10 as well). Last year's stats are absolutely shocking - he committed 110 fouls, Marouane Fellaini committed 101, and the person in third place (Bobby Zamora) "only" gave away 77 fouls, which emphasises just how dirty the top two were, as that's a HUGE gap. Davies gave away 2.8 fouls per game, Fellaini gave away 3.4 fouls per game (probably all by elbowing people in the face when going up for headers :p He only played 30 league games whereas Davies played all 38, hence why his foul rate is higher but his foul total is lower) and Zamora gave away 2.2 fouls per game.

hey, im a bolton fan, watched davies for years. very very good tackler. me and my dad discussed him being a CB for us because of Cahill's injury but we decided he would get sent off too much as he hasnt the pace nor experience to be a premierleague CB.

he often tackles defenders and goalkeepers. think Tevez in terms of closing people down, but obviously more aggressive and not quite the same on the ball!

As has already been mentioned, he's notorious for having consistently committed the most fouls of any player in the Premiership, not for taking them. He's currently topping the list this year, and he's been first or second in terms of fouls committed in the Premiership every single season since 2003/04 (second behind Patrick Vieira in 2003/04 and behind John Carew in 2007/08, and first in 2004/05, 2005/06, 2006/07, 2008/09 and currently topping 2009/10 as well). Last year's stats are absolutely shocking - he committed 110 fouls, Marouane Fellaini committed 101, and the person in third place (Bobby Zamora) "only" gave away 77 fouls, which emphasises just how dirty the top two were, as that's a HUGE gap. Davies gave away 2.8 fouls per game, Fellaini gave away 3.4 fouls per game (probably all by elbowing people in the face when going up for headers :p He only played 30 league games whereas Davies played all 38, hence why his foul rate is higher but his foul total is lower) and Zamora gave away 2.2 fouls per game.

Oh and the stats for being fouled???

Sonds like his aggression and dirtyness attributes should be close if not 20 in the game, which makes him a penalty causing machine if he plays CD

The fact that his marking is only 10 is another thing that would worry me about having him as centerback. I dont think that the fact that he is slow (pace and acc 9) would hinder him too much if he were playing centerback due to his relitively high anticipation and positioning stats.

Just seen an article on the gaurdian's website which stated that the top 5 players who had been fouled in the 2008-2009 season (last year) were:

1:Kevin Davies - 73

2:Valon Behrami - 70

3:Amr Zaki - 64

3:Cristiano Ronaldo - 64

3:Jonas Gutierrez - 64

Which proves that although Kevin Davies fouls the most he alos gets fouled the most. Giving as good as he gets I suppose.

Still a naff tackler :p

I'm sorry, but I can't take you seriously when you say Carragher is one of the top two best defenders in the country.

You are entitled to your opinion however wrong it may be :D

Who do you think are the two best centerbacks in the country then?

He commits the most fouls, and is the most fouled. On the whole it's a lot easier for a referee to give a foul in the defenders favour.

At the end of the day he's just a handful for defenders and dishes out to them what they dish out to every other striker in every game.

yea, 95% of the fouls against davies are for him 'backing in' to the defender. I wouldn't call that dirty-but he does like a good thumping slide tackle. I think it was him who injured Gaza Nev a few years ago-basically signalling the end of his career as a regular scum player. the fouls against him are largely due to defenders jumping all over him - knowing if they jump fairly with him they will lose. he's great to watch - but not if you're a football purist. i think its good recognition from the bolton data guys side, i think Terry will have plenty more in the mental attributes suitable for defending

davies is mainly brute power and strength than ability-he's not a bad player, but his strengths are perfect for a target man. he holds up the ball well because defenders just can't out muscle him-hence a lot of away fans screaming 'u bat fasterd' his way. tackling seems to be 16 in mine, which is fine from my opinion. C. and JT. should maybe be 16 and 17/18 respectively. i dunno :D Give Davies a thousand 20's :D

Archived