Bring back some fun please! Suggestions?

This is not a moan or grunt but id like to see some more fun added to the game.

It has, for me, become too in-depth and all too stat driven. Id like to see some more fun put into this game to lighten it up a little. I get bored playing this game now and rarely enjoy it now.

Instead of just digging deeper id like to see some fun elements added:

- Re-vamped training: Now I don't mind the current one we have because its simple to use and quick - it is hassle free for most people. Id like to keep the sliders because its pain free. What id like to see added though is 3D drills where you can view your players training. I'm not talking about the whole training schedule, because this would take forever and be a nightmare to add plus it would be boring after a while and time consuming, but I'm talking about having specific 3D drills for selective training schedules. These schedules could be: free-kicks, corners, killer balls, crossing. Keep it simple and selective (i.e. narrowed down). Within these training drills you can instruct your team how you'd like them set-up and where to place their corners and free-kicks, as well as crossing which are then implemented in your matches. This is essentially also a tactical creator because if you practice a set-piece and it works wonders you would use that set-piece type which will then override the pre-set one you chose in the tactical creator screen or when you set-up your tactics. CM do this with free-kicks and it is excellent.

- Re-vamped news articles: Some of them are well written but they are getting repetitive now. These need to be freshened up.

- Re-vamped match commentary: Although much improved over the years it does need to have more depth so that it can be varied.

- Re-vamped scouting system: I just want to point out what CM have done with there's is what FM should be doing. I won't say anymore on this matter apart from CM have hit it on the nail.

- Press-Conferences: Really annoying now, Id like to some form of 3D versions of these to bring them to life again. They also need to be toned down because I'm sure a lot of us can't be bothered to do lots every season which is why I always send my assistant. They are very repetitive with always the same questions, same questions, same questions, same questions, same questions. You get the point.

Any other ideas to bring back some more 'fun' to this game?

I like the idea of 3D Press Conferences and a lot more questions with a lot more answers that can be given would be good. Press Conferences should be an integral part to any football manager but on this it's just annoying.

I agree the scouting needs a going over as well

- Re-vamped scouting system: I just want to point out what CM have done with there's is what FM should be doing. I won't say anymore on this matter apart from CM have hit it on the nail.

Please do elaborate. There's no point saying it should be like CM without stating what they've got (in your eyes) right.

As for training, I'd like to see it made more detailed, with less focus on sliders and more specifics regarding training certain areas of a player's game. I'd also like more feedback on how a player is performing in training, such as motivation, progression, any gelling well with particular players, any disagreements, as well as suggestions from my coaches/assistant on who should be learning what or how schedules could be modified.

I'd also like more input into how certain areas are trained, such as instructing certain FK/corner routines/types, or the ability to say to your wingers where to focus on pin-pointing their crosses. I think the ability for players to pick up PPMs on their own as a result of training should be included too.

USM99 had most of that ffs.

Press conferences irl are even more boring than in the game tbh. A few extra questions and a bit more sense from assistants, as well as a better grasp on sarcasm/humour by the media and players alike would surfice.

3D versions of both would seem like a waste of time imo, and take up a huge amount of development time - and for what?

fwiw, the game is very fun already.

I agree that the press conferences are very tedious sometimes, all I wish is that they save them for the big games. Its a small thing to be honest as I think the game is as much fun now as CM 01/02 (and that is a big compliment from me as seen as I still play and enjoy that game) as long as FM keeps evolving as has been, without becoming as complex as FM09 again, then it will continue to be fun for me.

Please do elaborate. There's no point saying it should be like CM without stating what they've got (in your eyes) right.

As for training, I'd like to see it made more detailed, with less focus on sliders and more specifics regarding training certain areas of a player's game. I'd also like more feedback on how a player is performing in training, such as motivation, progression, any gelling well with particular players, any disagreements, as well as suggestions from my coaches/assistant on who should be learning what or how schedules could be modified.

I'd also like more input into how certain areas are trained, such as instructing certain FK/corner routines/types, or the ability to say to your wingers where to focus on pin-pointing their crosses. I think the ability for players to pick up PPMs on their own as a result of training should be included too.

USM99 had most of that ffs.

Press conferences irl are even more boring than in the game tbh. A few extra questions and a bit more sense from assistants, as well as a better grasp on sarcasm/humour by the media and players alike would surfice.

3D versions of both would seem like a waste of time imo, and take up a huge amount of development time - and for what?

fwiw, the game is very fun already.

I didn't elaborate on the training because I already talked about this in other threads. I didn't want to repeat myself. What CM have done is:

"Scouting for new players is now a much more accessible feature and attractive prospect in Championship Manager 2010. Managers are given a world map view of their knowledge of different countries and expenditure allocation. Scouts report back the up and coming star players from around the world allowing you to dedicate more of your time to other areas."

It is more realistic and you don't tend to get back as many scouted players as in FM.

I don't know what USM99 is? No need to say 'ffs' that comes across rude and abusive.

I already clearly stated why 3D versions of training and press-conferences should be introduced.

Its a good thread. Personally, there are a few things that I think would make the game more fun:

1) More crowd animations - fireworks, pitch invasions, scarfs, banners, flares all take place in real life, would be quite cool to see. Football is a spectacle, lets make it so.

2) Some wildly elaborate goal celebrations - running over to the manager, slides, somersaults, why not? Maybe even zoom in??

3) Trophy presentations, laps of honour, pitch invasions etc when success beckons. What greater thrill could there be than to sit there, maybe with a shot of single malt, toasting your team as they each collect their medals, your captain lifts a trophy while fireworks and camera flashes erupt, then embark on a lap of honor! As it stands, the minute the whistle goes they all walk off :(

4) Press conferences axed or revamped. As it stands, I feel they are a tickbox exercise in selecting the options least likely to cause offence. I know we can ask the assistant manager to do them, but he often makes mistakes. It would be nice to have a neutral, "do no harm" option, where the assistant manager plays a straight bat to everything. This would make things go a lot quicker.

5) More recognition of managerial success - I dont feel the game recognises managerial achievement well. The messages from the board and fans are all too often "well done, now concentrate on future successes". And when you leave a club, they hate you regardless of achievement, so no love there either.

I didn't elaborate on the training because I already talked about this in other threads. I didn't want to repeat myself. What CM have done is:

"Scouting for new players is now a much more accessible feature and attractive prospect in Championship Manager 2010. Managers are given a world map view of their knowledge of different countries and expenditure allocation. Scouts report back the up and coming star players from around the world allowing you to dedicate more of your time to other areas."

It is more realistic and you don't tend to get back as many scouted players as in FM.

I already clearly stated why 3D versions of training and press-conferences should be introduced.

:thup: thanks. I'm not sure if that's neccessarily a realistic way of doing it, but certainly some areas (ie. assistant informing you of highly rated youngsters and suggesting you scout them) could be included. I think as it is is a pretty good system, although I think it should be easier to filter your scouting assignments to your specific needs.

I don't know what USM99 is? No need to say 'ffs' that comes across rude and abusive.

Ultimate Soccer Manager. ;) Wasn't intending to be rude, especially not towards you, but rather suggest that it's a bit strange that something in a game over 10 years ago still hasn't made its way to FM.

Some good points Rob. I agree with number 5 completely. I brought this issue up with managing Scotland. I beat Netherlands 2-1 away from home and yet they only think its a good result despite me dominating the game.

Number 1 is a great idea mate. Also like number 2 a lot. 3 may be cool to introduce but will need a bit of development work put in.

:thup: thanks. I'm not sure if that's neccessarily a realistic way of doing it, but certainly some areas (ie. assistant informing you of highly rated youngsters and suggesting you scout them) could be included. I think as it is is a pretty good system, although I think it should be easier to filter your scouting assignments to your specific needs.

Ultimate Soccer Manager. ;) Wasn't intending to be rude, especially not towards you, but rather suggest that it's a bit strange that something in a game over 10 years ago still hasn't made its way to FM.

I don't think we will ever get a complete realistic solution as scouting in management games. CM though has done very well at making it close to realistic as possible. FM needs to catch up. I agree with your clarification on the point about FM seem a bit slow at introducing things which were implemented 10-years ago in other games.

A quote direct from CM hardly describes the areas they have got right :rolleyes:

Going back to your original post though:

Training

3d training is rubbish and nothing more than a gimmick that is never used past the first few times. Training in FM is due an overhaul though but no-one as of yet has come up with any real good improvements.

A set piece creator would be nice but I imagine its a very difficult thing to code as has been proven in CM - I definitely wouldn't describe theirs as excellent, poor would be a better description.

News Articles

More variety the better, no problem with that.

Match Commentary

Again more variety is good but in general I don't notice it much now with the 3d.

Scouting

CM put a pretty world map in and suddenly its perfect :confused:

Seriously FMs is pretty good but the addition of a map would add to the attractiveness of the feature while showing attributes in ranges becoming more fixed with additional scouting would be more realistic.

Press Conferences

Yes they can be repetitive, yes sometimes they don't ask the questions you want, yes you can send your AM but he can mess them up. The problem is they are a big part of the expanded world of a manager and this needs to be reflected in FM but its not quite there yet IMO.

Hi

Training

Presumably you are referring to the CM type training drills. I started using them in that game but got bored after awhile. Would need an incentive to actually use it so you could see the benefit of doing it once/twice a week. Also as you say it would have to be a few key only training drills.

News Articles

Yes 3d press conferences were in a few games. Not sure if you actually need 3d rather than a pictorial representation of a press conference. Apart form the 3d match game there’s’ no other 3d elements so might look a bit odd. But agree that the press conferences are boring and too often. I send my assistant. Though that does reflect real life, as they tend to be very samey. I would need an incentive added to the game for me to use the press conferences again. An example would be that it helps your managerial reputation. This could be through the press acknowledging that you have a sound knowledge of the game “tactically”, “intuitively”, and so on.

Scouting

I am not too unhappy with current system but not sure about using a similar system as in the other game,

That got to be repetitive as you got reports nearly everyday, rather than a round up at the end of the week. A daily report would only be for an outstanding find.

Managers Investing In clubs

I know this is not popular but Sven did, even though he got burnt. Of course you would need a significant amount of money and a high reputation. That could only be got through years of being a top manager and coining in the salaries. It’s an option albeit a small one.

Manager/Player Interaction

This could be embellished. More reasons why you aren’t playing a first team regular etc (well documented in these forums). Also the discipline system could do with a revamp, too narrow at the moment and does not always kick-in.

Team Talks

Controversial issue but I would like to see more work done on this and for it to be more transparent. I read the T&T forums for advice in this area but it can be confusing.

Set Pieces

Easier to make and we need to be able to save the set pieces so that you can import into different tactics.

That said I do find the game immensely entertaining. It does have such a realistic feel to it and that I suppose is why it is not always fun. It is tense, serious and compelling at times. Fun though would be nice to a point. Not gimmicky mind!

K..:)

I would say get rid of press conferences and team talks all together. So repetitive and badly done. Its just somethng that can't be simulated so they shouldnt even try.

A few multiple choice questions is not realism and figuring out what effects each one has and the patterns to use them in is just plain tedious.

I seem to spend more time messing about with them than anything else. I know I can send my ass man to do it but he is worse at it than I am. And the effects are just 2 important.

2) Some wildly elaborate goal celebrations - running over to the manager, slides, somersaults, why not? Maybe even zoom in??

There's been times when my strikers have scored and they've ran over to the bench.

Agreed also with trophy presentations and the game recognising success. Press conferences is an obvious one, but it desperately needs working on.

Yeah, I would like to see a picture of the trophy somewhere. Possibly my stadium too. New stadiums that get built I would like to see what they look like. Watch it grow. I had a game on the PS2 that did this and it was quite fun.

They should probably bring back more of the quick questions from past FMs. I'm against throwing away press conferences, but I do agree that they can be a tad bit repetitive and boring (as in real life).

In my opinion they should have somebody just ask "how do you think you'll do in the next match?" or a question relating to the team and leave it at that for small matches. Furthermore, I would really love if they asked other people in the club. I would really like to see a player being interviewed for instance, as this happens a lot nowadays where players are interviewed for the club website or a newspaper.

I would personally like to see an "arcade" type mode with just basic tactics and attributes preferably like when Champ Man first came out on the Amiga... FM2010 has become incredibly deep and complexed, a bit too over bearing for me at times when I just want a quick game with little thinking after a week at work.

I remember the good old days of tapping the space bar on my Amiga and walking away for a few minutes then coming back to a nice score win.

real chants would be pretty cool like "champions" when you've won the league and "sacked in the morning, your getting sacked in the morning" when your on a bad run.

more depth to the stadiums would be cool like the name of the club written in the seats, you could view this in a stadium viewer.

obviously more in depth scouting networks

Trophy presentations and trophy cabinets.

controversial owners possibly like mike ashley and malcolm glazer, who go against the manager or reluctant to invest. Perhaps a viewer to see the wealth of the owner in comparison to the club as well

i like the idea made about more player interviews appearing in news.

i think SI have previously said set piece creators would be too open to exploits. With the options available now there's a bug or 2 which doesn't get fixed. If you could do whatever you wanted from set pieces would cause a nightmare.

It has, for me, become too in-depth and all too stat driven. Id like to see some more fun put into this game to lighten it up a little. I get bored playing this game now and rarely enjoy it now.

- Re-vamped training: Now I don't mind the current one we have because its simple to use and quick - it is hassle free for most people. Id like to keep the sliders because its pain free. What id like to see added though is 3D drills where you can view your players training. I'm not talking about the whole training schedule, because this would take forever and be a nightmare to add plus it would be boring after a while and time consuming, but I'm talking about having specific 3D drills for selective training schedules. These schedules could be: free-kicks, corners, killer balls, crossing. Keep it simple and selective (i.e. narrowed down). Within these training drills you can instruct your team how you'd like them set-up and where to place their corners and free-kicks, as well as crossing which are then implemented in your matches. This is essentially also a tactical creator because if you practice a set-piece and it works wonders you would use that set-piece type which will then override the pre-set one you chose in the tactical creator screen or when you set-up your tactics. CM do this with free-kicks and it is excellent.

- Re-vamped news articles: Some of them are well written but they are getting repetitive now. These need to be freshened up.

- Re-vamped match commentary: Although much improved over the years it does need to have more depth so that it can be varied.

- Press-Conferences: Really annoying now, Id like to some form of 3D versions of these to bring them to life again. They also need to be toned down because I'm sure a lot of us can't be bothered to do lots every season which is why I always send my assistant. They are very repetitive with always the same questions, same questions, same questions, same questions, same questions. You get the point.

Dunno bout Cm, as I don't play it but GREAT POINTS!

BUMP!!!

When I get emails suggesting people are exited about the latest 80+ page guide to managing your squad from you know who, I really have to say it bores the arse off me.

FM for me is just no longer meeting my needs - its not fun. Its nerdy.

Rather than whinging about it forever I've decided just to not buy the next one.

Over n out!

3D stadiums like you used to get in LMA, so when you take i little club up you can see the progress stadium wise?

become a chairman? my career earnings are say £100 mill plus but i'm tired of doing great things for Man Utd, create your own club maybe?

in-depth training like that other manager game has?

definately think chairman selling and signing players you are made to play is happening IRL so why not FM?

I would like to see:

1) National Anthems in international matches - complete with jeering from opposition supporters

2) Team mascots that prance around the field at half time and before kick off

3) The removal of the commentary line, "He kicks it into row Z"

4) A more close-up perspective of the action so we can see every bone crunching tackle (including bone crunching sound effects)

5) The addition of bookings for time wasting

6) The ability to shout at individual players - like "pass it you selfish w*nker!"

7) The ability to impose drinking bans before big games [long overdue]

8) Opening ceremonies for major international tournaments

9) Commentary reflecting the crowd's opinion of the board - "The crowd are chanting 'sack the board!'"

10) 3D training and the ability to shout at players who are slacking

I would like to see:

1) National Anthems in international matches - complete with jeering from opposition supporters

2) Team mascots that prance around the field at half time and before kick off

3) The removal of the commentary line, "He kicks it into row Z"

4) A more close-up perspective of the action so we can see every bone crunching tackle (including bone crunching sound effects)

5) The addition of bookings for time wasting

6) The ability to shout at individual players - like "pass it you selfish w*nker!"

7) The ability to impose drinking bans before big games [long overdue]

8) Opening ceremonies for major international tournaments

9) Commentary reflecting the crowd's opinion of the board - "The crowd are chanting 'sack the board!'"

10) 3D training and the ability to shout at players who are slacking

Nice thinking!

BUMP!!!

When I get emails suggesting people are exited about the latest 80+ page guide to managing your squad from you know who, I really have to say it bores the arse off me.

FM for me is just no longer meeting my needs - its not fun. Its nerdy.

Rather than whinging about it forever I've decided just to not buy the next one.

Over n out!

Goodbye

It gets better and better each year. The whole aim of playing FM is to simulate being a manager. If you want a 'fun' football game, why not go and play Fifa or something along those lines. Fun but unrealistic. Thats not what we want, or will ever get (thankfully) from FM

What I think could bring more fun, is first simplify the organization of windows, but more graphical things. This post sums up!

The training basically a few years ago (i think it was on CM) that training was much more complex, it had schedules and all that and it was changed to this simple version. To be honest I prefer that maintain as is and SI really test and explore other versions to provide something that they are happy with and make us (consumers) happy.

The Press Conference is prime example of rushing things out without thinking and testing for a long time to see if they get boring or not, because a lot of consumers buy this game for the long term saves.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have contradicted yourself a bit here. You say the game is too in-depth but then ask for more depth to certain areas.

Goodbye

It gets better and better each year. The whole aim of playing FM is to simulate being a manager. If you want a 'fun' football game, why not go and play Fifa or something along those lines. Fun but unrealistic. Thats not what we want, or will ever get (thankfully) from FM

Fifas not fun, its soul destroying. all footy games are.

Theres loads of things they could improve on for FM11 (press conferences/team talks/commentary etc..) but I like 10 so Im happy enough.

Goodbye

Thank you for your unhelpful response.

Yet again someone here comes here and compares two different type of games that has nothing to do with each other, only thing in common is they about FM.

You want realistic manage a football team, do it in real life.

Goodbye

So I take it that a game which is realistic but not fun would be fine in your eyes?

Surely a good game ought to be able to balance things so that there is a good fun factor while being reasonably realistic.

To get back to the original point of the thread, there have been some interesting ideas. I'd like to be able to do something more detailed with training, including team, as opposed to simply individual, programmes.

I would also like to see the manager being able to coach. After all, every AI manager is endowed with coaching skills, so why not the human one? You could have a certain number of points to be allocated as you wanted according to your current level of skill, which could develop as the game progressed. It would be a godsend if you were managing a lower league club.

Better touchline animation would be fun I think. More realistic player warming up, the respective managers leaping up and down hysterically, actually appearing to yell instructions or putting their heads in their hands, protesting to the fourth official, being sent to the stand.....

I think you have contradicted yourself a bit here. You say the game is too in-depth but then ask for more depth to certain areas.

No I'm asking for more excitement not indepth at all. Revamping the training or scouting doesn't mean it will be indepth.

Don't know if this has been covered here or not, but I've always wondered why, during a game, the tactics screen does not show player attributes like it does during prematch setup? For example, when I'm making subs during a match, why do I not get to see the same info (ie the 'selection view' and player attributes like crossing, marking, etc) as I would when I'm manipulating the sliders before the start? It's very frustrating, especially when learning who is good on a new team, when I have to click on a player's name to check his tackling ability before setting the slider to low, med, or high. I was surprised that this wasn't updated in FM10.

• 3 months later...

About the 3d press conferences:

Imho the only thing it would add, would be a dimension. I seriously doubt they would be more fun.

It would be like the current press conferences, but you will need to wait to load the 3d engine before you can answer the questions. The result will probably be that even less people will do them.

3D training would be way too boring too imho.

To end in a positive note: the scouting system definitely needs some improvement, more and varied news items/commentary is always welcome and training also can use improvement.

IMHO adding more things to the training wont make the game more fun - not for me anyway.

What I'd like would be Press Conferences to be more dynamic. So no press conferences after every game or after every player. Maybe have them once a month? Or once before the final/semi final of a big tournament.

Obviously if you'r managing an International Team then you will get them before every game.

I'd also like Si to actually come out and state what new little things are in the game. So if Regens do things the real players cant do because of copyright - come out and tell us! Sure the element of suprise is gone but then you'l have players playing the game to find out the cool things we'v heard about. Be upfront about the new things.

Commentary - Revamp this for sure.

Sound - Please make this dynamic. You dont need various songs from various clubs...although this is nice I would imagine copyright is a pain, besides, the commentary pack authors have this sorted. No, what I mean is that if you'r playing the conference you dont hear much crowd but if you'r in the Premier League then it's very loud. Or taking it a step further...if you'r a struggling Premier League club then you may hear boos from the crowd. Playing away and your applause will be muted in amongst the louder sounds of discontent from the home fans.

Really think this can be a lot better if im honest.

Steve, copyright can be avoided as there are plenty of sound packs available with crowd noises at football matyches. These are royalty free.

I understand what people are saying about 3D training and poress conferences. I honestly cant see what the problem is with having 3D press conferences - yeah it gimicky but at least it give you something to look at instead of data all the time which can become boring.

How about being able to do things throughout the season to boost moral? For example going on a team outing, like a team bonding night at a restaurant. If it goes well all of your players come away a bit happier and the teams understanding gets better. If it goes wrong there are some lower morals and some falling outs.

Also, when two players in your team dislike each other, give us the option to try and resolve their differences. Both ideas taken from Total Club Manager 05 btw.

Archived