Coach reports - are they so badly flawed

Playing as Harrogate and am now in the BSP (3rd season of game).

In many coach reports I get contradictions, which I'm having difficulty working out.

Near the top it says "Player X would be a good signing for most BSP sides" and then further down I'm advised to "offload this player asap".

So, are the coach reports badly flawed or am I just incapable of understanding them?

In many coach reports I get contradictions, which I'm having difficulty working out.

Near the top it says "Player X would be a good signing for most BSP sides" and then further down I'm advised to "offload this player asap".

So, are the coach reports badly flawed or am I just incapable of understanding them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edwingray:

So, are the coach reports badly flawed or am I just incapable of understanding them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'For most", may be are one of the best teams. Are you?

Ignore everything the coach report says. Its completely unreliable. Ive had players that apparently weren't even worthy of a BSP level club become top premier league players.

Just check the coach reports before you get promoted and compare with what they say after you get promoted to see how flawed it is.

I had an experiment the other day;

- every year i get some youth in, and most of the time my ass man states that they will be decent or good premiership players.

- for the purposes of this exp i used mini scout, in order to see the PA of players.

- imagine my shock when i find that the player my ass man has deemed "one of the best to come through our youth ranks ever" has a CA of 43 and a PA of 47 - the user is chelsea...

Now i know coaches can't be too accurate, but if you have an assman with <17 JPA then the youth reports are absolute toss.

I think this needs fixing.

To the OP - you are in the BSP - if top level coaches are sketchy, then i suspect that you have a glorified bunch of mcdonalds staff posing as coaches.

Just to add. These are the attributes of my staff:

Assistant: JPA 19, JPP 9

1st Coach: JPA 12, JPP 9

Youth Caoch : JPA 6, JPA 14

So, I would have thought my assistant should give pretty good reports, but there have been 3-4 cases, where my gut feeling has said keep them.

My Harrogate are top six in BSP, still semi-professional (even though I've signed everyone onto full-time contracts).

Coaches being wrong about a player's ability is one thing, but a coach saying in the same report that a player is good for the division, but should be offloaded as soon as possible is a definite problem. I don't mind my coach being a dimwit at deciding if a player is any good, but I at least expect him not to change his opinion halfway through his coaching report!

Hmm .. so far, my coach's summaries have been fairly spot on to my side.

I'm in the Scottish Third Division, and my assistant has horrible "judging" attributes, but one outfield coach, my goalkeeping coach, and a scout all have pretty solid numbers.

When I ask the assistant I get some pretty useless comments.

However, the other three tend to give me very similar information: the players I'm playing in the first team are rated "good" or better; the players who aren't even getting a sniff in the Reserves I'm told to "offload immediately".

The assistant, when asked about goalkeepers, says some very bizarre things: for example, he warns that "If our first-choice GK, [X], is injured, there is insufficient cover." ... the problem? X is my third-stringer, the guy who isn't even getting playing time in the Reserves. I think he's got real potential, but he's too old for the U-19s, and my backup gets most Reserve matches.

When I get a report from my assistant about a GK, he compares them to [X].

However, the GK coach and my scouts both (correctly) compare other GK's to my starter.

. . .

As to the OP, I suspect that the "Offload as soon as possible" looks at a number of factors, including the other players you have at that position, and his salary.

So, if you're over-paying a guy who isn't cracking your starting lineup, and isn't likely to improve, they're going to say "let him go" even if they also think he'd be a "good player" for this division.

That's not really a contradiction: he's a good player for this division .. AND .. he's not worth keeping on your side.

I have found that getting coach reports from the relative positions of the players works well e.g. defensive coach giving a report on a defender. Never failed me. I noticed this when I scrolled down the list of coaches reports for a defender and found the defensive coaches said he was good and the attacking coach wanted me to offload him, I then found this was vice versa for an attacker. Try it and see how it works for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Coaches being wrong about a player's ability is one thing, but a coach saying in the same report that a player is good for the division, but should be offloaded as soon as possible is a definite problem. I don't mind my coach being a dimwit at deciding if a player is any good, but I at least expect him not to change his opinion halfway through his coaching report! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are a few possiblities.

that the plyaer is good for the division but your other players are better.

that the player is good fot the division but you have loads of players of similar/slightly quality

i dno exactly if this falls under this category but i once had a scout report for a right winger

player x has the potential to far exceed ryanl babels current level of ability. so im stupid and listen and pay 3m for him. i finally sign him getting exited (as babel is one of the best wingers in the game by this point) i get him back to anfield and i get the

player x has nowhere near the potential to be better than ryan babel you should think about transfer listing this player

wtf is wrong this this? ayone else had this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

My favorite was when I had a keeper who was also a player/AM. I asked for a coach report on him (as a player), and he told me to offload himself as soon as possible. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't complain about the guy's honesty then. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

My favorite was when I had a keeper who was also a player/AM. I asked for a coach report on him (as a player), and he told me to offload himself as soon as possible. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't complain about the guy's honesty then. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, certainly not. And, in fairness, whenever I played him in a match and asked for his suggestion for a team talk, he always indicated "none" for himself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Hmm .. so far, my coach's summaries have been fairly spot on to my side.

I'm in the Scottish Third Division, and my assistant has horrible "judging" attributes, but one outfield coach, my goalkeeping coach, and a scout all have pretty solid numbers.

When I ask the assistant I get some pretty useless comments.

However, the other three tend to give me very similar information: the players I'm playing in the first team are rated "good" or better; the players who aren't even getting a sniff in the Reserves I'm told to "offload immediately".

The assistant, when asked about goalkeepers, says some very bizarre things: for example, he warns that "If our first-choice GK, [X], is injured, there is insufficient cover." ... the problem? X is my third-stringer, the guy who isn't even getting playing time in the Reserves. I think he's got real potential, but he's too old for the U-19s, and my backup gets most Reserve matches.

When I get a report from my assistant about a GK, he compares them to [X].

However, the GK coach and my scouts both (correctly) compare other GK's to my starter.

. . .

As to the OP, I suspect that the "Offload as soon as possible" looks at a number of factors, including the other players you have at that position, and his salary.

So, if you're over-paying a guy who isn't cracking your starting lineup, and isn't likely to improve, they're going to say "let him go" even if they also think he'd be a "good player" for this division.

That's not really a contradiction: he's a good player for this division .. AND .. he's not worth keeping on your side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you're saying and they are fair points, but I'm also talking about the majority of my youth team (16 year olds) who are on a fiver a week. I can't see how a 16 year old who should be offloaded asap can be a decent signing for most BSP sides.

@ Jon. It doesn't make any difference which coach I ask. Always the same report.

Archived