Getting a knock during the match.

I would always base my decions on how important the player is to your team, how bad an injury it seems to be based on his fitness level & how long is left in the match. You could also look at next 2 or 3 fixtures and use that to aid your decision as keeping him on and potentially risking him for future games you may need him for could be more damaging than drawing or losing just this 1 game...

There really is no right or wrong thing to do, as a manager you will always get it wrong at some point.

I used to always take someone like that off as generally having 11 players in good condition (in terms of physical condition, not fitness) is a good basic step in helping maximize your chances in a match. I've not bothered that much of late and I should. Only very rarely has it ever come back to bite me in terms of using up subs then having to take someone off through to injury, though when I thread like this came up a while ago a guy managing in brazil mentioned how he got quite a few in most games so he couldn't be so quick to sub. Like one of the guys above said though, there are different situations in which one or the other is preferable, and anyway I don't think that the difference made is anything more than slight that unless condition becomes terribly low or it ends up developing into a worse injury so its just one of those things where its a matter of personal choice.

I usually remove any player who is less than 70%.

But I will usually wait to see if an injured player can creep above this threshold (unless he's a central defender allowing the opposition an easy route through the middle).

Here's a dilemma ...

You are playing 4-5-1 with your only natural striker playing up front.

He gets a knock and is reduced to 69%

Do you substitute him for a competent attacking midfielder to take up his position?

It's well annoying when your assman says he can run it off, so you leave him on and the game finishes only for you to be told he's out for months with a pulled hamstring or something. I have good physios so this shouldn't happen! Now I click on the player to look at the profile as soon as an injury is noted. It will say 'has potential groin injury' or some such. If it's neck, head or leg I take them off. If it's body or arm I leave em on.

For me it depends largely on the type of injury. If it is described as a potential thigh injury, then I haul him straight off, as it's likely to be a hamstring. Head or arm injuries I don't worry about too much, unless his condition has dropped considerably lower than the rest of the players on the pitch. This is particularly pertinent to defensive players as a lack of condition towards the end of the game can be costly.

Archived