The Notts County Gravy Train

I'm an American who has little familiarity with the English club. In FM 2010 I decided to try out a lower division club and noticed that Division 2 Notts County had a healthy financial bottom line that would make them fun to manage, so I signed up. It seems that about once or twice a season the free-wheeling chairman of Notts County sees fit to inject large amounts of money into the Notts County coffers--usually $12-14 million/season. This has me feeling giddy, but I am curious whether or not Notts County is really like this in real life? Is it common for chairman of small clubs to pump in lots of cash? How long can I expect this gravy train to continue? I've just been promoted into the Championship. Can I expect more funding from the chairman if I make it to the Premier League?

Lots of fun!

I'm an American who has little familiarity with the English club. In FM 2010 I decided to try out a lower division club and noticed that Division 2 Notts County had a healthy financial bottom line that would make them fun to manage, so I signed up. It seems that about once or twice a season the free-wheeling chairman of Notts County sees fit to inject large amounts of money into the Notts County coffers--usually $12-14 million/season. This has me feeling giddy, but I am curious whether or not Notts County is really like this in real life? Is it common for chairman of small clubs to pump in lots of cash? How long can I expect this gravy train to continue? I've just been promoted into the Championship. Can I expect more funding from the chairman if I make it to the Premier League?

Lots of fun!

The previous owners promised vast wealth and connections to rich Arab families but in reality offered very little, to which they have blagged £600000 from the supporters club to help with running costs.

The owners at the time drafted in the likes of Sol Campbell and Sven Goran Eriksson as a front to help with the masquerade, Both have since left the club once the truth shone through.

when FM 2010 was coded Notts county were looking to be a very rich side which is why they are in the game, in reality they have just been sold for £1 with very large debts for a league 2 side.

Notts County were taken over by wealthy owners last summer and they spent quite a lot. But recently the owners pulled out and the club is in financial difficulties and have had a winding up petition against them. It's quite rare that a lower league club would get millions in investments.

If you get promoted then yes, you probably will get more funding.

It was the ultimate FM fantasy, being played out in real life. As others have said, a company called Munto Finance took the club over with the aim of taking them to the Premier League within 5 years. Players such as Sol Campbell and Kasper Schmeicel were signed on massive wages as a marker of intent and Sven Goran Ericsson was brought in as another big name.

The reality is that none of these riches materialised, Sol Campbell played 1 game before walking out demaning a huge pay off, Kasper Schmiecel remains but on huge wages for league 2, the club have been sold and served a winding up order and have only just avoided administration.

They were actually taken over by munto finance with the promise of financial backing from a wealthy middle east family that never materialized. Speculation that Sol Campbell quit due to most of his wages being paid by Swiss commodity holdings group and not his employers spelt trouble. The guys behind munto didn't obtain the backing promised and borrowed time was soon up.

LOL. This is brilliant. Well, at least NC will be fun to play in this version. So in FM 2011 what will be the lower league club of choice? I recall a few years back that Wigan showed a lot of promise in the lower leagues.

I'm in season 4 with Notts County and began the season with $35 million in the bank. Woohoo!

LOL. This is brilliant. Well, at least NC will be fun to play in this version. So in FM 2011 what will be the lower league club of choice? I recall a few years back that Wigan showed a lot of promise in the lower leagues.

I'm in season 4 with Notts County and began the season with $35 million in the bank. Woohoo!

With the latest patch, 10.3, I believe the Notts Co gravy train has been derailed.

However, the new one is Southampton. Both clubs had/have (Notts Co/Southampton respectively) owners that are coded to be foreground sugar daddies, which means they pump money into the club regularly.

Archived