Girlfriend as Assistant Manager?

Hello FM community,

I have been intermittently playing various forms of the game for about 10 years. I am currently awaiting arrival of FM10 from amazon and planning to start a new game with patch 3 as soon as it arrives. My main problem at the moment is that my girlfriend knows that the game is arriving imminently, and is still scarred by the memories of the three months after I got FM09, during which I barely spoke to her, and listened to even less of her chat than normal.

I was basically wondering if anyone had any advice or experience of how to deal with nagging partners who fail to understand why you lie awake at night contemplating whether or not to sell your first choice right back, and instead think you should do things like going to the cinema, or have a conversation with them.

In an effort to get her involved, I have offered her the (purely ceremonial) position of assistant manager, and offered to consult her regarding major decisions, invite her to watch big games etc. Obviously, I am concerned about this Venables-Robson or Avram Grant-Mourinho division of responsibility, but I feel that I am experienced enough to cope. Has anyone else embarked upon such a managerial partnership and if so was it successful?

It's simple. My girlfriend used to complain that I only left the computer to eat (actually, pick up the food and carry it back to my office) and use the bathroom.

I simply promised to put aside one hour a day for sex (she expects a ridiculous amount of foreplay and post-coital cuddles) and to respond to any request for emergency assistance (switching the TV between the DVD and the satellite inputs, reaching things on high shelves, assassinating spiders) within 30 seconds.

Under no circumstances should you try to involve her in the game. No good will come of it.

It's simple. My girlfriend used to complain that I only left the computer to eat (actually, pick up the food and carry it back to my office) and use the bathroom.

I simply promised to put aside one hour a day for sex (she expects a ridiculous amount of foreplay and post-coital cuddles) and to respond to any request for emergency assistance (switching the TV between the DVD and the satellite inputs, reaching things on high shelves, assassinating spiders) within 30 seconds.

Under no circumstances should you try to involve her in the game. No good will come of it.

Ha ha, post of the month!

...I only left the computer to eat (actually, pick up the food and carry it back to my office) and use the bathroom.

...and to respond to any request for emergency assistance (switching the TV between the DVD and the satellite inputs, reaching things on high shelves, assassinating spiders)...

Sounds like me. :o

My missus plays FM and I take on the role of director of football/chief executive. Basically I am in charge of buying first team players, we make joint decisions on the youth players and she does the rest. People think it's bad but I just get time to play on the Xbox or watch the football.

To be brutally honest anyone who prefers FM to sex is a very strange person that or their girlfriend must be crap at it. I hope the Avram Grant and Mourinho was just an example, I would hate to have a girlfriend that looked like Avram.

Hello FM community,

I have been intermittently playing various forms of the game for about 10 years. I am currently awaiting arrival of FM10 from amazon and planning to start a new game with patch 3 as soon as it arrives. My main problem at the moment is that my girlfriend knows that the game is arriving imminently, and is still scarred by the memories of the three months after I got FM09, during which I barely spoke to her, and listened to even less of her chat than normal.

I was basically wondering if anyone had any advice or experience of how to deal with nagging partners who fail to understand why you lie awake at night contemplating whether or not to sell your first choice right back, and instead think you should do things like going to the cinema, or have a conversation with them.

In an effort to get her involved, I have offered her the (purely ceremonial) position of assistant manager, and offered to consult her regarding major decisions, invite her to watch big games etc. Obviously, I am concerned about this Venables-Robson or Avram Grant-Mourinho division of responsibility, but I feel that I am experienced enough to cope. Has anyone else embarked upon such a managerial partnership and if so was it successful?

Buy her a PSP and the FM version for that console. What I did. Worked a treat. :cool:

Thanks Paul,

You are as generous with your advice as you are with your time. I forgot to add that she hates football (and not in that David Batty/Paul Telfer "I don't like football but am quite good at it" way), she actually hates it and knows nothing about it. I am imagining long, painful managerial team meetings where I have to explain why the little man is offside numerous times and why a new tactics coach is a bigger priority than what we are going to have for dinner. Maybe it is not such a good idea after all....

My wife is not allowed to complain, especially as she has bought the game as a present for me.

She has also stated "I would much rather you play your football game than that horrible other game you play" she is refering to GTA which she just sees as mindless violence.

just wanted to say how amazing this post is :D

Anyway I try my best not to play FM when my girlfriend is in my house to save endless 'Aw, are you playing that game again? So boring' followed by constant skeptical looks. :thdn:

hahahahahahaha class... nothing worse than inane jobs like switching scart leads..

Don't make her your assgirl - that's too hands on.

Do what I do and make her your chairwoman.

1. It sounds more important - she's your boss.

2. She doesn't have to do anything.

Well, in theory. The other week my chairmissus wouldn't let me spend her transfer budget on a attacking midfielder until I'd bought her a new washing machine.

True story.

If she keeps seeing you playing FM she'll think you're weird. Always have a browser window open, so when she starts to turn towards the monitor you can Alt/Tab to a 'Gentlemens Special Interest' website. Voila, normal geezer :thup:

hahahahahahaha class... nothing worse than inane jobs like switching scart leads..

Ha! There are no leads involved. It's a button on the remote. We have had the same TV, DVD and satellite system for two years and my wife still does not know the difference between the satellite remote and the TV remote and which button to press to change the input from one appliance to another. In fact, she just called me at work and I had to walk her through it ("No, it's the one with SONY written on it") so she could watch Two and a Half fracking men.

My girlfriend lives 150 miles away so while she's hard at work, I get to play FM all day every day. Ha!

She's s****ing someone else! *clap clap*

And now your gonna believe us!

And now your gonna believe uuuus!

She's s****ing someone else!

And now your gonna believe uuuus!

She's s****ing someone else!

:thup::thup:That's the real world

When I married my wife in 2005, who is an American, she knew nothing about football.

I told her it was important for her to get to know my culture and invited her to play with me on our home network.

I got her to manage Chelsea, as they had all the cash and fixed her up with the Diablo tactic and players such as Cerci and Todorov. After she won the league over me in the first season she was hooked.

Although I am not too sure if I did the right thing, particularly when she sees anything on TV that has to do with players she managed. She bats her eyelids when she watches "Creppypoo" (Hernan Crespo) or regails me with match stories about how well her Gronkjaer did for her. Oh and her favourite? Super Rugrat. (Supat Rugratsamee)

oh boy, i haven't played FM since....since it was CM4 6 or 7 yrs ago, and yes, i lost a relationship to it permanently(GF), and relationships to it temporarily(Family and friends). My girlfriend actually said she wanted to be with someone who valued her more than the game and not some dork who pretends to be a football manager. Just try explainig to her it's a full-time commitment :rolleyes:

She actually left during a very stressful time, i was attempting to win the Champions League with PSG and my 1st striker was unsettled in France and wanted to leave :cool:

I retired from the game after that.

As for the op, do not bring personal relationships into the club, unless it'll have added incentives.

If she keeps seeing you playing FM she'll think you're weird. Always have a browser window open, so when she starts to turn towards the monitor you can Alt/Tab to a 'Gentlemens Special Interest' website. Voila, normal geezer :thup:

Problem witht this though is you have to keep your emotions under control. Imagine conceding a last minute winner and not being able to berate your players from the touchline :eek:

Ha! There are no leads involved. It's a button on the remote. We have had the same TV, DVD and satellite system for two years and my wife still does not know the difference between the satellite remote and the TV remote and which button to press to change the input from one appliance to another. In fact, she just called me at work and I had to walk her through it ("No, it's the one with SONY written on it") so she could watch Two and a Half fracking men.

Two and a half men? You shouldn't have helped her, I never let that show appear on my TV, whether I'm home or not!

Rather than involving my girlfriend into the game, I actually try and do things with her while I play FM10. :D

As an example, at one time I was playing FM10 in the other room, and got quite horny when I signed Ronaldo back to Man Utd. So I called her over and had sex while playing in Champions League game, WHICH I LOST!!!!! :( I guess sex and football management dont go well together.

But I generally, just like her to sit with me and watch TV or something. With FM you can take a break at any time to do whatever. So I generally like to spend some time with my girlfriend while I play my game :)

This works greatly. I got my FM on my Quad Core PC in the office, but I VNC'd it to my lap top, so technically I can play Fm anywhere in the house. Sometimes I play while she is cooking, so I keep her company, watching TV, while she is having a bath I sit with her on the floor etc. Its good!!!

That is, without a doubt, the best post ever made on these boards.

Compliments to chef on providing such a smörgåsbord of delightful deabte about how we should/shouldnt integrate our significant others into our FM fantasy.

My take on this is simple - I have been with my fiancee now for about 3 years and initially she just couldn't get why I spend so much time on "that stupid game where you dont even control the players" :)

The breakdown to her was clinical and 3 fold :-

1. Its not a stupid game and you dont control the players because it is a management sim.

2. I play it so much because after approximately 15-16 years of doing something so often it forms a littlw known thing called a "habit" - habits are hard to break look at you with your chocolate!!!!

3.(Probably the best one for all you other guys out there) Explain o her the benefits of you playing the game far outweigh you NOT playing it such as........ if im on the comp im no at the pub!!!!! if im on the comp you know where I am!!!!! if im on the comp you can moan at me about whatever you want, whenever you want....... i prob wont listen but you will feel better! :D

Love this thread its brilliant - you wil probably find at some point in any managers FM life that they have found it hard to balance real life with FM - par for the coyurse and you are not alone my friend!

Many thanks for all your replies, anecdotes and suggestions. It is interesting to see how others have coped with this problem, ranging from those who get so excited by completing a major transfer that they have an impromptu joint celebration with their partner, to the rather tragic story of the dedicated manager, ditched by his insensitive girlfriend during a champions league campaign, who remains so scarred by the break up that 5 years later he has stopped playing the game but still checks the forums. It is comforting to know that there are others in the same obsessive boat as myself.

Your stamina attribute is quite low then. And if a ridiculous amount of foreplay and cuddling is in that 1 hr too, then your technique attribute could also do with a bit of a tune up, but by the same token, your ability to just dribble as soon as your man gets inside the box would appear to be the full 20 :D:D

Archived