This game cheats!

Im playing as Lincoln city, 1st may 2010 and its the second to last game of the season against aldershot. Im in second place league 2 with one club 1 point behind me in 3rd. When match day comes, i check my backroom advice, see what setup gives me the best chance, and ajust my tactics accordingly. The problem is, that whatever i change my tactics to, once the match has started the opposing team mysteriously becomes expert at countering whatever i am using. This usually results in an unlikely goal against me in the first 5 mins. This happens every time and its totally spoiled the game for me. :( Its repeatable and i have a save.

I have attached some screenshots. Anybody else get this? is it a well known balance issue? or a huge major bug ?

http://i45.tinypic.com/n32kx2.jpg Before

http://i47.tinypic.com/67pbnc.jpg After kickoff

Edit: This is patch 10.2 btw.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm guessing your coaches/ass man are not very good (league 2 after all) so i wouldn't take their advice as golden. There are many reasons you could be letting in early goals, you just have to narrow down what it is (style of play/formation early on, the type of player you have at the club), etc. etc. Havn't looked at the screenies mind you (not waiting a minute until i can view them)

Another thread created where the OP hasn't put their point across very well and has just jumped to conclusions that the game is rigged. I suggest posting your problem in the tactics forum and hoping someone will be able to give you some help, saying the game cheats is just ludricrous and in all fairness, it is quite possibly either your team talk or, your players inability to handle the pressure with promotion potentially riding on the game.

That and your assistants advice is not always the best thing to take on board, it's only an opinion at the end of the day, as the manager you should be able to decipher what is best to do in the situation

@baker.simon

No it doesnt, but how can you explain the fact that it changes to the exact opposit of what i use every time? The backroom staff have managed to do their job just as they should for the entire season, but now it looks like im going to get promotion the game starts to cheat? I am surprised to see people trying to explain this away as it look to me very much like a bungled attempt to give the illusion of difficulty to the game.

Backroom advice doesn't have to be exactly spot on every time though does it?

This is never right tho and whats more it changes after kick off. I would bet that if i reloaded 1000 times and used a different tactic everytime it would still change after kick off

Why not use the ol FMcheat window you have open too ? Sounds like somehtng that may be able to help you !

I dont know what you mean. I dont cheat at computergames.. ever. I grew out of it when i was about 12 when i realised that cheating makes the game pointless. This is partly why this has irritated me so much, because when the game starts to do this it also becomes pointless.

There is no cheat window open and i would thank the trolls to leave.

Edit: nevermind i know what you are talking abotu now. Thats ms paint you can see. The screenshots are named fmcheat1 and fmcheat2. The .jpg extension is a clue.

It's not a bug.

The game can't cheat.

If what you are suggesting was true then everyone would suffer with it.

Fair to say mentality is the problem. If you are reloading constantly but using the same press conferences/team talks then you've already set the mentality of your players to either too nervous or complacent.

Maybe upload your game and see how long it takes another gamer to win the match. Might help.

Technically you are cheating if you keep re-loading and playing the game over again.

You should accept that results won't always go your way, and sometimes the AI will get the better of you tactically.

It's not a bug, the game doesn't cheat and if you think either are true after reading the responses in this thread you'll need more than the tactics forum to fix your problems.

You won't always win either, it's best to just accept it if it does happen.

I've had a side that scored 100 league goals in a season and yet lost to one of the worse teams in the division during the season, things just sometimes don't go your way.

It's not a bug.

The game can't cheat.

If what you are suggesting was true then everyone would suffer with it.

Fair to say mentality is the problem. If you are reloading constantly but using the same press conferences/team talks then you've already set the mentality of your players to either too nervous or complacent.

Maybe upload your game and see how long it takes another gamer to win the match. Might help.

I wonder how many others this has happened to and they havent noticed, or just gone on to win anyway. I wouldnt normally reload the game, but i noticed that the backroom advice had mysteriously changed after kickoff. It seems pretty obvious that whatever i say the reply will always come back that its my fault. Somehow i feel this forum was not the place to post this and that people will deliberately misunderstand the problem and the game can never be at fault.

The backroom advice has been pretty much spot on all season and now suddenly its misleading me. This isnt a bug or an accident is it? i mean cmon this has to be a deliberate balance mechanism, badly implemented. Maybe somebody from SI will own up to it.

One point from the OP

Why adjust your tatctics at all in the last game when you are second in the league?

I have several formations that i choose from and they get altered before every match.

I wonder how many others this has happened to and they havent noticed, or just gone on to win anyway. I wouldnt normally reload the game, but i noticed that the backroom advice had mysteriously changed after kickoff. It seems pretty obvious that whatever i say the reply will always come back that its my fault. Somehow i feel this forum was not the place to post this and that people will deliberately misunderstand the problem and the game can never be at fault.

The backroom advice has been pretty much spot on all season and now suddenly its misleading me. This isnt a bug or an accident is it? i mean cmon this has to be a deliberate balance mechanism, badly implemented. Maybe somebody from SI will own up to it..

Before this I thought you were honestly asking for advice, now you just seem like either an idiot who doesn't understand the simplest of comments or a troll.

The game can be at fault. For example, negative shot counts, results changing after the result, penalty shootouts going to 31-30 etc.

This however isn't the game's fault and is rather you trying to place blame for your failings on the game itself, which is actually extremely childish and just plain annoying to see, especially when everyone in the thread was seeming in a mood to offer you advice. But hey, blame the game if it makes you feel better, though posting drivel like your original post and your response above will only serve to make you look stupid. Congrats for that by the way.

I have several formations that i choose from and they get altered before every match.

There's your problem!

Inconsistant formations lead to inconsistant results! Congrats! Also, your backroom staff aren't meant to be infallible, so don't just listen to everything they say.

Also, when you read this, decide it's all wrong and get back into your fantasy world, I'd suggest a couple of things for you. Number one, professional help with your paranoia issues and number two learning how to speed up your computer using the special red switch on the back...

But did you notice that your ass man Ian Pearce disagreed with that advice both times?

Yes he does, ok. But my point is, that the opposing team changes what they are good against, depending on what tactical setup i use. I hope your understanding what i mean. It doesnt matter what tactic i start the match with, aldershot with always become expert against that particular tactic setup once the game starts. This is shown when i look at "backroom advice" mid game and find that all the recomendations have changed. What ever tactics i start with are irrelevant, they can never be appropriate.

There's your problem!

Inconsistant formations lead to inconsistant results! Congrats! Also, your backroom staff aren't meant to be infallible, so don't just listen to everything they say.

and yet my inconsistant tactics seem to have gotten me into 2nd place. Surly that would be a bug in itself, following your logic.

Yes he does, ok. But my point is, that the opposing team changes what they are good against, depending on what tactical setup i use. I hope your understanding what i mean. It doesnt matter what tactic i start the match with, aldershot with always become expert against that particular tactic setup once the game starts. This is shown when i look at "backroom advice" mid game and find that all the recomendations have changed. What ever tactics i start with are irrelevant, they can never be appropriate.

In reply to the Bolded part: The opposition are not changing what they are good against, its your coach that can't decide what they are good against, hence the fact that your second opinion is disagreeing with him on both counts.

And is it not possible that Aldershot may actually be set up to play well against teams that play a wide game, and teams that play narrow without changing their own tactic drastically?

In reply to the Bolded part: The opposition are not changing what they are good against, its your coach that can't decide what they are good against, hence the fact that your second opinion is disagreeing with him on both counts.

And is it not possible that Aldershot may actually be set up to play well against teams that play a wide game, and teams that play narrow without changing their own tactic drastically?

Ok. :)

What tactical setup do you think i should use? I will take your advice and then i will post a screenshot . Whatever you choose you will see, the game will match you.

Well, they can be, but the opposition will try and counter them. The question becomes in such a case will you play a back and forth game trying to find a tactic that will "beat" their's or just have faith in your style of play and make them play your way. Your assistant isn't always right and they can and will change their mind.

Maybe it's not them becoming an expert with your tactic either, but instead they're just playing better. Maybe your players are worse, or worse on the day (consistency issue, not with your tactics either, but rather the players themselves).

You losing is not a bug, and to claim so is just plain rediculous.

and yet my inconsistant tactics seem to have gotten me into 2nd place. Surly that would be a bug in itself, following your logic.

Actually, that is not the case and if you think so I'd suggest brushing up on your definition of the world logic.

In fact, from what I said you can only logically deduce that it's a bug iff you were having complete consistent results, which from your previous statements do not seem to be the case.

However, my side's that I manage generally have very consistent results and performances with a tactic which is only changed in very rare circumstances.

What tactical setup do you think i should use? I will take your advice and then i will post a screenshot . Whatever you choose you will see, the game will match you.

You realise that there's no such thing as a tactic that will guarentee victory right?

Anyhow, my suggestion...

Find what you have the best players for and stick with it! Make teams play to you! Especially if you're already in 2nd.

You realise that there's no such thing as a tactic that will guarentee victory right?

Anyhow, my suggestion...

Find what you have the best players for and stick with it! Make teams play to you! Especially if you're already in 2nd.

Thats not what i asked tho. You choose a tactic, any formation width depth temp combination you like. Make it up at random i dont care. The point i am making is that backroom feedback advice will change after kickoff, and it will change to exactly the new set of tactics. Cmon, any tactic you like

I think it was suggested earlier in the thread that if you upload the save from before the game then people will have a go at it and show that the game can be won....And they may even give you an insight as to how they did it?

Suggesting a tactic for a single game for a team I know very little about in general, and have no knowledge on who you may have added or relinquished to/from the squad is not something I'm about to do......

Thats not what i asked tho. You choose a tactic, any formation width depth temp combination you like. Make it up at random i dont care. The point i am making is that backroom feedback advice will change after kickoff, and it will change to exactly the new set of tactics. Cmon, any tactic you like

Fine...

I want you to play a counter attacking 1-2-3-5 formation as such:

High Winger....Striker...Striker...Striker...High Winger

Midfielder......Midfielder

Midfielder

Centrehalf....Centrehalf

Sweeper

Keeper

...and yes I did use that once... As a joke, but I have used it!

@ comozza

I didnt think so. Ill extend the offer to anybody else that is saying that im wrong/making it up/a noob/ a troll / whetever else you can think of. Any tactic and i guarentee that aldershot will miraculously become expert against it.

I would very much like to see an SI comment about this tbh.

@someguy

it needs to be width depth tempo.

What the OP is saying is that before the game the staff tells him that the team plays well against teams with narrow width.

Then directly after the kick-off it changes to "Team play well against teams that play wide"

So after they've set up to play a wide game based on the first advice, directly after kick-off the advice changes.

It certainly looks like a bug of some sort.

I didnt think so. Ill extend the offer to anybody else that is saying that im wrong/making it up/a noob/ a troll / whetever else you can think of. Any tactic and i guarentee that aldershot will miraculously become expert against it.

I would very much like to see an SI comment about this tbh.

But what I'm saying is that if you upload the save then people will certainly try it, and I have no doubt someone will prove you wrong, And I'll even have a go at it if it makes you happy.

Because there's more to it then just slapping in a formation and a playing style, you actually have to play the game, ie touchline shouts, substitutions, tactical changes etc throughout the match....

What the OP is saying is that before the game the staff tells him that the team plays well against teams with narrow width.

Then directly after the kick-off it changes to "Team play well against teams that play wide"

So after they've set up to play a wide game based on the first advice, directly after kick-off the advice changes.

It certainly looks like a bug of some sort.

That is exactly the case

Have you checked to see what formation Aldershot were using in the game prior to them playing you!? Is their first team line up different in previous games to the one they've put out against you!? Perhaps in the last few games they have been using a different formation or tactical set up and then when they lined up against you, your ass manager saw this and gave you conflicting advice.

however the assistant disagrees both times so dont play narrow and dont play wide go for a middle ground

Beat me to it, after explaining the fact that his assistant disagrees with the narrow width pre game, doesn't necessarily mean you should change to wide play, which is obviously the case.

And that would explain why the advice has changed......

The game doesn't cheat

The AI is not 'all knowing' or 'all conquering'

As far as I am aware AI managers have access to 1, thats right ONE!!, playing style

They may vary the players formation SLIGHTLY .. ie 442 to 4411

but that really is the scope of thier versatility

In short, the AI is STUPID, the AI is predictable, the AI is limited in scope

IGNORE it! the assitant disagrees with it again the coach doing those isnt of sufficient quality to give that advice, have you been taking notice on everything that your assistant has disagreed with?

im guessing not

Well i have tryed to, but when he disagrees with all options it makes it a bit difficult doesnt it. This still does not change the fact that once the match has started, the game, either by error or by design sets the oppositions tactics to be perfectly set up to take me to the cleaners. Its a half arsed attempt to add a little end of season difficulty if you ask me, but the only people really qualified to comment are SI.

Well i have tryed to, but when he disagrees with all options it makes it a bit difficult doesnt it. This still does not change the fact that once the match has started, the game, either by error or by design sets the oppositions tactics to be perfectly set up to take me to the cleaners. Its a half arsed attempt to add a little end of season difficulty if you ask me, but the only people really qualified to comment are SI.

Are you ignoring everything that has been said?

They play one good game and you declare that it must be because their tactics are perfectly designed to take you to the cleaners?! What the hell is wrong with you?!

another thing to remember is that

whilst the assistan agrees when you go to match its whats happening in the match and not over the season and it seems worded badly, ok well wrong. plus if your already promoted your players take their foot off the gas if they arent challenging for the title, you say your one point ahead of 3rd, in League 2 top three are auto up so how many ahead of 4th, and how many behind 1st?

however the assistant disagrees both times so dont play narrow and dont play wide go for a middle ground

Yeh don't play wide or through the middle. Give them anti-grav boots and go over them. Should work.

another thing to remember is that

whilst the assistan agrees when you go to match its whats happening in the match and not over the season and it seems worded badly, ok well wrong. plus if your already promoted your players take their foot off the gas if they arent challenging for the title, you say your one point ahead of 3rd, in League 2 top three are auto up so how many ahead of 4th, and how many behind 1st?

http://i47.tinypic.com/35l7zg9.jpg

Im not inclined to upload a save because quite honestly from the answers i have gotten so far i expect everybody that trys will win first try and its my tactics that are fault.

Archived