Giving prefered #, any effect?

Does giving a player his preferred shirt number have any effect on the players happiness, morale etc? Or is it only cosmetic? I remember they added heaight weight before it had any effect in the game engine. And I can't see any noticeable change when giving a player his preferred shirtnumber.

Also, what is the morale entry in the editor under Club, I see Arsenal have morale 12 what exactly does it do. If I set this to 1 does that mean that the club has a terrible atmosphere and it will be very difficult to keep morale up in the squad. Will this value change over time or is it fixed at the number set in the DB?

Does giving a player his preferred shirt number have any effect on the players happiness, morale etc? Or is it only cosmetic? I remember they added heaight weight before it had any effect in the game engine. And I can't see any noticeable change when giving a player his preferred shirtnumber.

Also, what is the morale entry in the editor under Club, I see Arsenal have morale 12 what exactly does it do. If I set this to 1 does that mean that the club has a terrible atmosphere and it will be very difficult to keep morale up in the squad. Will this value change over time or is it fixed at the number set in the DB?

The player gets a morale drop if he doesn't get his preferred number.

I haven't looked further to see if there are different levels of reaction as I've only come across a handful of players wanting a particular number.

• 7 months later...

im guessing that irl if two players both have the same favourite number... e.g player a and player b.... if you give player a the preferred number shirt... player b will obviously feel of lesser importance... so i'm guessing there will be a morale drop!

The real issue is that if you buy a player with a preferred number you can't assign it because one of your players already has that number.

That should an option to retrieve an assigned number if a just bought player has that number as preferred number.

Actually you can't satisfy your player wish just cause of a game limitation, this must be fixed in FM11.

The real issue is that if you buy a player with a preferred number you can't assign it because one of your players already has that number.

That should an option to retrieve an assigned number if a just bought player has that number as preferred number.

Actually you can't satisfy your player wish just cause of a game limitation, this must be fixed in FM11.

You can't change numbers mid-way through a season though.

You can only change it at the start when you have to submit the numbers.

what are you talking about? teams can't change squad numbers mid season when they've been assigned. if it's the before the numbers are announced why can't you just wait and leave him without a number?

IRL clubs can't change their squad numbers mid way through a season so we shouldn't be able to in FM

Last year it was purely cosmetic - was confirmed as such, but I'm sure Miles (or someone else from SI, just can't find the relevant post/news item) has said this year it has the ability impact a players happiness

I can only presume though it won't impact 100% of the time, only if they consider themselves the most important player wanting a specific number

Last year it was purely cosmetic - was confirmed as such, but I'm sure Miles (or someone else from SI, just can't find the relevant post/news item) has said this year it has the ability impact a players happiness

I can only presume though it won't impact 100% of the time, only if they consider themselves the most important player wanting a specific number

I read the same thing in a blog post/developer diary/new feature reveal at some point too, but i cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.

This should be purely cosmetic. When I used the 2D graphics, I used squad numbers to defferentiate positions..[10-15]DL; [16-20]DR; [20-29]DC etc. It made it easier to tell one dot from another. I hope SI keep this in mind for people who use 2D.

For the record, I've never seen any effect on not giving a player a preferred number

I have a further question regarding preferred numbers:

Do newgens ever have a preferred number? I have some newgens I got back in 2009-2011 (in 2025 now) who have had the same numbers since they've been with me and they have no preferred number. Other newgens I've gotten have never, ever had a preferred number.

Archived