How should I buy FM 10?

Personally, I would go for the boxed version of the game - some people are experiencing performance issues with the latest patch and with Steam you automatically play the most recent patch on the game, and you have no choice in the matter. At least with the boxed version of the game, you have the option of running it on the older patches if you choose.

Plus, I prefer to have the physical product.

with Steam you automatically play the most recent patch on the game, and you have no choice in the matter. At least with the boxed version of the game, you have the option of running it on the older patches if you choose.

No, that's not correct is it? You can turn off the auto update in the prefs screen on Steam

Or you could walk into a shop, pick up a copy of 'Football Manager 2010', hand it to the cashier, they scan it onto their machine and it'll come up with a price. Depending on the shop this will be between £20-£30n you then hand over one of the following, cash for the amount or more, in the likelyhood of it being more the cashier will then hand you the excess in "change". You could however pay with either a debit or crefit card, althought I wouldn't recommend getting one of the latter as they charge you lots of interest and you'll be in debt. If you are lucky however, it may have been your birthday recently and could have been given "gift tokens" as a get out of jail present, from someone who either doesn't know you that well or couldn't be bothered to think about a proper gift. These are similar to cash but the difference with this being, the cashier will give you the aforementioned change in the form of smaller denomination gift tokens rather rather than actual money.

I hope I've gone some way into explaining how shopping works and wish you luck on any purchases you may make.

I'm sorry I'm incredibly bored and don't have my laptop. Can you tell?

I would always go for the boxed version rather than download but that is just me being old fashioned and wanting to actually hold the product, also I think half the magic of buying the new game is to thumb through the manual while the game installs (even though its the same instructions you've read X years previous )

There isn't anything wrong with steam though, and its fantastic for you game to update while you're at work and the missus is on farmville.

Main and major downside with Steam is that you are forced to use a pre-patched version of the game. Sometimes this really isn't a good thing if you're having issues. It goes without saying that having a fairly decent internet connection and having it there when you need it is also a prerequisite for Steam purchases ;)

Otherwise, I've bought the past two versions of the game via Steam and don't have any other complaints. Certainly it avoids the whole registration fuss and having to torrent patches.

Whichever method you decide, might I suggest you wait for FM11? Don't see much point buying FM10 now personally.

Why not? I's going to be about 7 months or so until it's released, which is quite a while really. I've only just bought FM10 myself.

anyways the only way i can get it is either buying it thru amazon or thru steam

I live in america.....cant walk down to the store and pick it up...

seeing how fm 10 is $40 on amazon and its $20 on steam....im probably be going the steam route....

oh and whirlwind....its never too late to buy fm 10 ;)

question about steam....say you get a virus and you lose all your stuff......do you have to repay for the game?

Boxed version. You can opt for steam, if required, with the serial number of the boxed version iirc.

Also retail version is cheaper than the digital copy of the game (really weird, considering that the digital download should be the cheapest as there are no distribution and inventory costs involved).

Boxed version. You can opt for steam, if required, with the serial number of the boxed version iirc.

Also retail version is cheaper than the digital copy of the game (really weird, considering that the digital download should be the cheapest as there are no distribution and inventory costs involved).

Wrong, FM10 is currently on offer on steam for £14.99. The OP did actually say its much cheaper for him on Steam.

Wrong, FM10 is currently on offer on steam for £14.99. The OP did actually say its much cheaper for him on Steam.

My mistake. Didn't notice steam reducing price (during release/preorder stage, the cost was too high). But still I would go for boxed version, slightly higher price, but you get both options.

After years of PC gaming, including marrying a girl who only plays PC games, I can tell you we have accumulated a lot of game CDs and DVDs. Over the last two years my wife has started using download sites such as Spintop and other similar ones to buy her games, I have been using steam for a few years now. Those recent changes have meant our games pile has hardly grown at all in size as we have mostly downloads now.

It is such a fantastic thing!!! plus FM is cheap on steam at the moment and you might even get some of your office space back like we have done!

Archived