Computer Performance

Hello everybody!

I've got the 10.3 patch installed and ready to go - I went to start a new game but noticed that I only had a couple of stars on the computer performance rating right at the start - when I began to add leagues and all that it obviously started going down and down! On 10.2 I had quite a few leagues running and the computer performance rating was still around 3 stars.

I have a Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop so it should be fine - although recently it has been crashing and I think there's a problem with the hard drive and it needs replacing.

I'm doing a check disk run through my computer - properties - tools - check disk - taking ages, not sure if it will do anything!

Is it maybe the new patch which has changed the rating?

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum part!

Maybe is the patch then because the lappy hasn't crashed for a few days - and I def haven't added any new programs or whatever which would slow it down - gonna load up a new game and see how it is - and I'll try and add a few leagues to see if I can get the game I want.

After doing some searching it seems the computer performance rating is a bit unpredictable...and very often wrong...as posted by other users.

Could SI mods confirm any info on this change in computer performance if possible?

Anyone with any ideas - I wanted to start a massive career save but am worried my lappy might be knackered and the game will now go at a snail's pace!

I didn't see anything about the star system being improved or tweaked, but the Changelist was pretty long.

...my lappy might be knackered...

I love the English.

Right - I'm just starting a new game, large database and have 10 nations with only the top leagues loaded - it has 2 stars for computer performance and half a star for game speed!

I used to have about 6 nations with the top 2 leagues playable on 10.2 and it had 3 stars for each - is it maybe because I've got more nations running even though there's actually less divisions playable?

Can't see why it would change that much though!

As has been often said, the star rating for performance is an unreliable guage of performance and you shouldnt worry too much about it specifically. To my knowledge there were no changes in the patch that would markedly affect game speed

The recommended set up is a better judge of you computers capability and should be the basis for your choice of leagues.

From my experiances the recommended set up is far to conservative, by an absoulte mile. Which kind of makes that pretty useless 2. I could times 5 the amount the comp recommends and it will still run just as fast.

It's a part of the game I would really like to see improved in order to help the user get the best configuration for their computer.

Sorry mate but there really are bigger issues at hand with the game (not saying the games is bad, I love it, but if I was looking at things to improve this would be way down the list, if on it at all!).

Mine is at 2 1/2 stars. Quad Core and have 20 leagues selected with 30 divisions. This is my epic career/world tour game and the game runs fine so far. Its not too slow at all. I found for my system as a general guide that a 2 star rated game is when I noticea little slow down. 3 stars is perfectly fast so I'm going 2 1/2 stars this time.

Being Cpu tied, the number crunching will have an effect eventually. Enviromental factors will play a part, ie a hot room. But generally speaking, a fast QC will or DC will run it fine coupled with fast Ram. I would recommend a minimum amount of background apps running though. I keep it to streaming online radio with running the game.

If it is unreliable, then why on Earth has it not been fixed/taken out in three patches?

They can't take it out in a patch. In the next Ver of the game, hopefully this will be addressed, but it does have minimal impact at the mo. I guess it is not something that the coders deem that important to address.

Anyone with any ideas - I wanted to start a massive career save but am worried my lappy might be knackered and the game will now go at a snail's pace!

On a lappy, the main thing to worry about will be the TDP (Thermal Design Power). If it runs hot, you will get slowdown. How long is your average session when playing?

What do you mean 'they can't take it out in a patch'? It may be my lack of coding knowledge, but why can the piece of code that makes it show up that will have been added to FM10 not just be ripped out?

my i7 920 OC'ed to 3.4 with 6 gigs of 1600mhz ram runs the game smoothly, VERY smoothly with 66k players.

I havent needed to load anymore but guess I could manage

Not tempted to push it higher? Man i covet an I7

Archived