question/suggestion

i play quite a lot in Iceland and because of our name structure, i.e. last names are 'Your-dads-name'son or -dóttir, so for example Aron Gunnarsson (Coventry player) then his dad´s name was Gunnar.

this is not just a cultural lesson but i have a question related to this:

in iceland we never refer to our footballers as Steinsson, Guðjohnsen or Gunnarsson as is done everywhere else. the main reason being that a lot of people have the same last name. we therefore always refer to people (and this is not just where footballer are concerned) as Eiður Smári, Grétar Rafn and Aron.

Finally my question ;)

Is it possible to have the game refer to players using their first names? since i doubt this is possible, maybe this could be an option for later games...

until now i've had to give my players nicknames just to know who im playing because while Sigurðsson tells me nothing, Indriði tells me exactly who it is.

nicknaming your players is the only current way of doing so at the moment i imagine...

SI might consider changing the format of naming for icelandic players if you suggest it to them? as they have changed latin names and turkish name format as has been seen

Ok thanks, I will do that.

Thats a very good point for you as a native speaker. I guess the balancing act is for native speakers against all those who know them by their last name.

Yes of course thats a problem...but obviously we should take precedence ;)

Its just an idea.

I don't want to be the asshole here :D but SI would probably turn this down as it would mean that they have to make same special case for other countries who might follow. Now don't jump on me I just say that because I've seen similar situations before.

And while it is correct for Icelanders, I'm sure most people 99% in fact are not aware if there's a correct way or not of naming the players there. Just trying to say that I don't believe they will make a special feature or fix just to accommodate a small change like this which actually bothers a very small % of the FM community.

If they prove me wrong though I'll be more than happy to have a bit more spiced up (and correct) game :D

No I think its quite unlikely that they'll change the whole configuration. I was thinking more along the lines of instead of having to nickname players, you could have the options of seeing their first names only maybe or something like that...

its a perfectly reasonable observation so don't worry, i dont blame you for that ;)

Archived