3-0 up: So why do I still feel vulnerable?

Edle

Perhaps its just me, but even when i am comfortably winning games, I am never happy that ive "won" a game until the whistle went.

I can be 2,3 or 4 goals clear and just feel that with the game it is too unpredictable to assume youve won until you actually have. I dont think this is reflective of the real life, as with a 2 goal lead a team will be comfortable. Admittedly there is a good chance of coming back from 2-0 done, but how about 3 or 4 goals? I just dont think that is correct.

Does anyone else get these feelings?

if i'm 3-0 at half time, i'm generally more nervous than if i was 1 or 2 up. just seems like there isn't a "right" team talk and whatever you do, your team is going to play like they've never seen a football before while the opposition that were so hopeless in the first 45 will have transformed into the spirit of Brazil 1970.

i've lost more 3 goal HT leads that i care to think of.

Perhaps its just me, but even when i am comfortably winning games, I am never happy that ive "won" a game until the whistle went.

I can be 2,3 or 4 goals clear and just feel that with the game it is too unpredictable to assume youve won until you actually have. I dont think this is reflective of the real life, as with a 2 goal lead a team will be comfortable. Admittedly there is a good chance of coming back from 2-0 done, but how about 3 or 4 goals? I just dont think that is correct.

Not me, to be honest. Maybe it's just you?

What do you do to keep your lead? Do you actually throw away a lot of leads or are you just scared because of the threads created here?

3-0 up and vulnerable? Why would you be? A team has never come back from 3-0 down, oh wait a minute, Liverpool and AC, it happens mate.

Id say these types of comebacks are the exception rather than the rule. As well as this, whether I win or not, its more the feelings I get with it. The game has got me so nervous that in a situation of 3 goals clear I panic as if i were 2 goals down :D

Thats not a correct inspiration.

And tactically, I generally sit tight and lump it to a target man and counter the opposition if i wish to hold out.

I have not had this problem either, I try to keep my options open with my subs so I can be more defensive, having a CM that can play DM always helps.

With the right tactic is easily done with most teams, all depends on your opposition and your team. It is a sport and the players are only human (well representations of ones anyway).

Id say these types of comebacks are the exception rather than the rule. As well as this, whether I win or not, its more the feelings I get with it. The game has got me so nervous that in a situation of 3 goals clear I panic as if i were 2 goals down :D

Paranoia? sometimes...;)

it happens to me all the time. i can take a lead into half time then be beaten, was 2-0 agaisnt scunthrope with my cardiff team. lost 5-2 was even beating colchester 1-0 who are a league below me in the cup, first half i looked like brazil with a strikeforce of azerbijian , couldnt finish nothing, second half, colchester where walking me,

Thats not a correct inspiration.

And tactically, I generally sit tight and lump it to a target man and counter the opposition if i wish to hold out.

so your in control of the game go 3 up, then decide to drop deep and give them the ball by hoofing it upfront?, and wonder why they comeback? :)

Strategy - Control.

Instruction - Retain ossesion, Pass to feet.

I find doing that will ensure you see the game out. Sometimes I use the 'counter' strategy and manage to score again aswell.

Agreed. As I usually play a higher defensive line, I slightly drop deeper and slow down the tempo aswell.

I wouldn't consider myself to be particularly good tactically and I don't have much problem with this to be honest. Certainly, I come back more often than someone comes back against me.

I do wonder whether the people who have a lot of trouble with this are fielding overly young and insufficiently determined teams. I find this has more of an effect than poor tactical nous.

Well, embarrassingly, this has happened to me very recently (i.e. yesterday). I was 3-0 up at HT, at home (PSG) against Lille, and an opponent player had been sent off. So I think the game is in the bag. Since I am up so much, I don't really make much of a change, other than reducing the mentality and forward runs on the full backs.

I had to do something in the house, so when min gets to 60-65, I make my three subs and leave, thinking the game would just take it's course. Come back to find out that Hazard and de Melo ripped my D apart in the last 20 mins and the game finished 3-3.

On my current save I have no problems with this, but in previous games (im looking at you 2008) a 4/5-0 lead wasnt a guarantee of a win, I never found a solution even when Id made brilliant teams. Thusfar with 10 it seems if I dont get too defensive I can hold leads comfortably (getting goals was an issue at first though).

edit:I also use retain possesion and pass to feet for closing out games (unless the opposition are going all out then its pass into space with counter attacking stance).

if i'm 3-0 at half time, i'm generally more nervous than if i was 1 or 2 up. just seems like there isn't a "right" team talk and whatever you do, your team is going to play like they've never seen a football before while the opposition that were so hopeless in the first 45 will have transformed into the spirit of Brazil 1970.

you should try reading team talk guides in the tactics forum, they'll really help you with these kind of situations.

You arent aware of counter attacking?

the point he's trying to make is whenever you're getting the ball you're justing smashing it up field and the majority of times they are going to win the ball and put more pressure on you. Defending successfully often means reducing the pressure on your defence but you're increasing it and you need to have a bit more possession and take your time with the ball. That gives your defence time to relax a bit and gives the opposition less time to attack.

If I'm 2-3 goals up at half time against a team that I should struggle against, I set the team talk to "don't let your peformance drop" but use individual talks for the players that have performed well I.e. "pleased/delighted". It's something I've only started doing recently and it seems to have worked.

Archived