Overachieving/Surprising yourself

That's right, a positive post, and a simple topic:

What is your greatest over-achievement or your greatest result against the odds? Be it a cupset, an unexpected title or just a great result.

I have to say my creating this topic has somewhat been influenced by the events of this morning, which I consider maybe my proudest ever FM moment, and one I am still speechless from. While I'm not trying to brag, I felt it worth sharing.

So, here's my contribution:

cl2v.png

cl1.png

Over to you lot!

I just started a game as Sochaux in Ligue 1 and, even though it's still early in the season, I've gotten off to a great start.

My results so far are:

W 2-1 @ Auxerre

W 3-2 vs. Bordeaux

W 3-0 @ Montpelier

W 3-0 vs. Monaco

D 2-2 @ Lille

After these first five games, I'm two points ahead of OM in first place. Vaclav Sverkos is at the top of the Ligue 1 scoring charts with 9 goals, and an average match rating of 8.38 with 4 Man of the Match awards.

Overachieving indeed!

My best case of overachieving came with Fram on FM08, managed to get to a CL quarter finals, knocking out Juventus and Arsenal along the way, I hadn't expected to get past the group stages and was just embarking upon my usual aim of getting to 3rd for a euro cup slot which I occassionally made the quarter finals of if I got a good draw.

Still not quite sure how I pulled it off, but it was a great overachievement for my little side.

Congratz to Hershie, but--

Isn't it a lot easier to achieve European success since you've only loaded the Cyprus leagues? I assume you still beat teams that had Messi and Fabregas and so on, but the transfer AIs of these teams are not as involved as they could be.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone else find the Champions League far too easy?? I seem to coast through it

Anyways nice work Hershie

Not really mate,

I went out at the group stage 2 years out of 3 as man utd in between this i managed to get to the final....losing 4-2 against liverpool:(

When I took over at QPR, they had just been relegated to League One, half of the players wanted to leave and it seemed to be a club in dire straits. I fought to keep the better players we had, brought in a few good signings and took them back to the Championship as predicted. The following season, we were expected to narrowly avoid doing relegation, which would have pleased me. Imagine how pleasantly suprised I was when we won at Cardiff on the last day of the season while Reading succumbed to a shock defeat against Sheffield Wednesday...meaning the team was promoted to the Premiership.

I've sadly not achieved anything that can out-do the OP (Yet), but I did take Southampton to the Premier League and in our first PL match of the season, away at Old Trafford we managed to get a surprise 2-0 win, honestly couldn't believe it.

I can't get the match stats now because it was 4 seasons ago, but i'm about 90% sure they were fielding a near full-strength team.

Shame they've hammered us at OT since :(

• 2 months later...

My greatest achievement in Football Manager 2010 has to be what has just happened.

After an ill-fated spell with Hearts, I joined Notts County, 12 points off safety in League 1, with 10 games to go, a team desperately low on confidence, my task was simple, avoid relegation. My 1st game in charge was a disappointment, despite most of the possession, and certainly fight, we lost 1-0 at home to Bournemouth, however that would be one of few defeats in the season, a 0-0 draw at playoff chasing Leeds, followed by a 1-1 draw with soon to be champions Peterborough, 95th minute equaliser from my captain Ben Davies, confidence was slowly but surely growing. Noticing that the teams around me were dropping points, I changed my strategy, adopting a 4 at the back, 1 in the middle, 2 advanced wide players, and 3 strikers, worked wonders, after a 5 game unbeaten run, we closed to within 1 point of safety, and a 6-2 victory over promotion hopefuls Swindon, we were out of the relegation zone going into the final day. With no one guaranteed safety from bottom right up to 19th, I had to win to guarantee, and in a strange twist of misfortune, all the teams around me were winning, and just like a fairytale, with a minute to go, we were victorious over Barnet! Safety was ours, but the story was only just beginning. Main player in my survival had to be Sascha Link, a 17 year old Spanish winger from Liverpool.

The next season would prove to be tough, a prediction of 20th would be way off the mark, as by October we found ourselves in 3rd, with free flowing football and a sturdy defence. A last day decider between myself, Leeds and Swindon for top spot would not like a fairytale this time as a 0-0 draw with Leyton Orient proved we just weren't quite there, so playoffs beckoned, a 3-1 win over Southend in the final sent the town of Nottingham into wild celebrations as they reality of Championship was there. We would be facing teams like Burnley, Bolton, and our biggest rivals Nottingham Forest. Yet again, we had signed Sascha Link on loan, and proved once again, how vital he was!

A summer of wheeling and dealing was a joy as I signed two should-be Premiership players in Delebasic and Tchité. Ludovic Assemosa made the switch to Nottingham along with Sascha Link from Liverpool on loan...again, with him stating that this would be final year of being loaned to another club. A great start to the season with wins over Burnley and Watford and a draw with Southampton showed we were not in this league to make up the numbers! However we were brought right back down to earth with a 5-1 home defeat by soon to be champions Wolves. Wolves would remain the dominant force of the Championship with 115 points amassed and the league wrapped up by mid-March. By Christmas we would find ourselves 7th, but 15 points off nearest rivals in 6th, Notts Forest. Before our aim clearly was just to avoid relegation, but at Christmas we were in with a shout of the playoffs, we had to go for it! A boxing day victory over Forest along with a 9 game unbeaten run cut the gap to 5 points, and with Forest selling top scorer Dexter Blackstock to Wigan, we had a chance!

An indifferent February saw us collect just 2 points from 18, luckily Notts Forest also suffered a few defeats so it was in the balance. A Monday night away game at Notts Forest in March would surely prove pivotal. A win for Forest would surely leave us with too much to do, a draw would keep everyone guessing and a win for County would be majestic! Forest went in front early on through Cohen, but that spurred us on, smacking the bar on our next attack, along with a wonderful save from Lee Camp kept us at bay at half time. 5 mins into the 2nd half, a great one-two with Delebasic and Tchite brought a stunning equaliser, 2 mins later and the away end of the ground was in pandemonium, a long punt from Schmeichel, bounced underneath Camp, and Tchite could not miss. A final score after constant pressure 2-1 was unbelievable. Our game in hand at home to Sheff Utd was postponed twice due to a waterlogged pitch, but all was worth the wait after a 3-1 victory put us in the playoffs with 2 games to spare.

A 2-1 aggregate scoreline over Bristol City in the semis was just reward for a wonderful display, and a 3-1 final victory over Burnley was unreal! Premiship football for Notts County, this is the stuff that dreams are made of! The summer would bring much upheavel with a lot of players contracts not renewed, but a 20m budget would help. Leigh Griffiths signed for County in a £6m deal after 29 league goals last season in the Championship. Sascha Link joined on a permanent £2.5m deal, sighting his relationship with the manager the main reason for his stay!

The premiership season is just about to start to it remains to be seen how far we can go!

Archived