Whats with Australia having so many rival nations?

Just looking at Australia on the nation overview screen and they have currently 14 rival nations. I've never seen any other nation with anywhere near that amount, It even includes China,Iran,Iraq,Ireland/N.Ireland,South Korea,Wales but in real life theres hardly a rivalry between them and Australia is there? I can understand the likes of England,New Zealand,Croatia,Uruguay being the countries Australia would really want to beat due to history but other than that could the average fan give a toss about getting worked up over the others?

Eh, I guess the Asians hate them for being in their qualifying group despite not being Asian. The Irish/Welsh/North Irish might dislike them because of them being, essentially, convict England.

Not to get all PC or anything but tons of Irish people were sent so Australia as well so I doubt it

Ireland and Australia have a type of rivalry in this rugby/GAA football thing that they play every year or something, could be something to do with that

surely america would have a higher nation rivalery considering they have a habit of trying to take over everywhere they go....surprised they havent tried storming FIFA headquarters yet...

I think you have america confused with the king and queen of "Britain" ..Not much of their take overs left though , especially when they get out of Ireland. ;)

I think you have america confused with the king and queen of "Britain" ..Not much of their take overs left though , especially when they get out of Ireland. ;)

I think you are confusing modern day with hundreds of years ago... :p

But back to the OP, probably because Australia take any sporting event way too seriously and therefore treat every match as a rival match?:rolleyes:

Eh, I guess the Asians hate them for being in their qualifying group despite not being Asian. The Irish/Welsh/North Irish might dislike them because of them being, essentially, convict England.

Well, that's why I don't like them too much :D, they basically get an easy spot for the World Cup and other AFC competitions, leaving the true AFC nations to fight for one less spot. :mad: (no hard feelings though. I'm more of a CONCACAF person, Canadian soccer team supporter :p)

Tbh, only Australia and New Zealand (because they're just guaranteed to be facing whatever country in the Playoff in World Cup Qualifying) have benefited from Australia's move to the AFC. Well, and I guess the AFC itself as well.

I think there are too many rivalries personally. The likes of China and Iran aren't fierce rivalries - Aussies aren't the ones bitter about Australia in AFC, it's the other way round (i.e. Australia should be on China's list, but not vice-versa). Not sure even the likes of South Korea too.

Not an Aussie but I think anything beyond New Zealand, Ireland, Northern Ireland and England as fierce rivals will be pushing it. I'm not sure the rest are fierce rivals that should appear "on the list". Even if they don't appear on the list in-game, they can have some degree of animosity which affects things like confidence (kind of how like Bayern Munich are on Manchester United's list in the database but not in-game).

Just looking at Australia on the nation overview screen and they have currently 14 rival nations. I've never seen any other nation with anywhere near that amount, It even includes China,Iran,Iraq,Ireland/N.Ireland,South Korea,Wales but in real life theres hardly a rivalry between them and Australia is there? I can understand the likes of England,New Zealand,Croatia,Uruguay being the countries Australia would really want to beat due to history but other than that could the average fan give a toss about getting worked up over the others?

As an Aussie I will give my opinion on all the rivalies:

Fierce Rivals:

-England: Obvious reasoning being rivals in all sports and soccer being one of the sports England is actually better than us at (remember, opinioin, not fact)

-Japan: Not too sure on this one. Maybe should be downgraded to 'other rivals'. I would say they are there as they are the strongest east Asian country

-New Zealand: Proximity

Other Rivals:

-Iran: 1998 World Cup qualifing at the MCG caused this

-Croatia: Big Croatian population in Australia and also players switching alliance (Joey Didlicia, Ante Seric, Josip Simunic) and also the 3 yellow cards in 2006. Could be a 'fierce rival'

-South Korea: Not sure why on this one. Could be removed maybe

-Iraq: For knocking us out of Asian Cup 2007

-Uruguay: World Cup Qualifing 2002 and 2006. Should be 'fierce rival'

-China: Maybe due to the amount of A-League players heading there

-Both Irelands: Not sure why. I think it is due to most Aussies liking ot beat anything that is part of the British Isles

These are my opinions only.

As an Aussie I will give my opinion on all the rivalies:

Fierce Rivals:

-England: Obvious reasoning being rivals in all sports and soccer being one of the sports England is actually better than us at (remember, opinioin, not fact)

-Japan: Not too sure on this one. Maybe should be downgraded to 'other rivals'. I would say they are there as they are the strongest east Asian country

-New Zealand: Proximity

Other Rivals:

-Iran: 1998 World Cup qualifing at the MCG caused this

-Croatia: Big Croatian population in Australia and also players switching alliance (Joey Didlicia, Ante Seric, Josip Simunic) and also the 3 yellow cards in 2006. Could be a 'fierce rival'

-South Korea: Not sure why on this one. Could be removed maybe

-Iraq: For knocking us out of Asian Cup 2007

-Uruguay: World Cup Qualifing 2002 and 2006. Should be 'fierce rival'

-China: Maybe due to the amount of A-League players heading there

-Both Irelands: Not sure why. I think it is due to most Aussies liking ot beat anything that is part of the British Isles

These are my opinions only.

I can understand the Iraq rivalry based on the 2007 Asian Cup, but surely if SI thinks that anyone who knocks a nation out of a major tournament should be classed as a rival, than half of Europe should have each other as their rivals (ie England should have Portugal (2006) and Croatia (2008) as their 'rivals', when they clearly aren't). I REALLY don't understand the Iraq one. Uruguay yes because there was so much controversy in the arrival of the Australian side to Montevideo in 2002 iirc, and their subsequent meeting four years later.

I'm Japanese so I naturally follow the Japanese national team, but I was actually happy when Australia joined the AFC. They are the closest thing Asia has to a European side and I feel as though regular competition with Australia prepares us better for intercontinental competitions (i.e. WC). Besides, the likes of Japan and South Korea haven't found it too hard to qualify for the WC in recent years :p, so I think it is mainly "fringe" countries like China, Iraq and Bahrain that may have found Australia's membership in the AFC rather annoying.

I can understand the Iraq rivalry based on the 2007 Asian Cup, but surely if SI thinks that anyone who knocks a nation out of a major tournament should be classed as a rival, than half of Europe should have each other as their rivals (ie England should have Portugal (2006) and Croatia (2008) as their 'rivals', when they clearly aren't). I REALLY don't understand the Iraq one. Uruguay yes because there was so much controversy in the arrival of the Australian side to Montevideo in 2002 iirc, and their subsequent meeting four years later.

Tend to agree.

I can understand the Iraq rivalry based on the 2007 Asian Cup, but surely if SI thinks that anyone who knocks a nation out of a major tournament should be classed as a rival, than half of Europe should have each other as their rivals (ie England should have Portugal (2004 and 2006) and Croatia (2008) as their 'rivals', when they clearly aren't). I REALLY don't understand the Iraq one. Uruguay yes because there was so much controversy in the arrival of the Australian side to Montevideo in 2002 iirc, and their subsequent meeting four years later.

Corrected. ;):p

I put these in there and quite simply it boils down to:

Traditional Sporting Rivals - the British teams, NZ,

Local Rivals - Japan, S Korea, China, Iraq, S Arabia

Others - Iran (based on previous games), Uruguay (based on previous games), Croatia (based on previous games and them stealing 3 of our players)

Reviewing that list I think that in hindsight perhaps Ireland,N Ireland, China, Iraq & S Arabia can be removed

Italy should realy be a rival too for (cheating) knocking us out of the last world cup then going on to win it. I think certain people who collect the data for the nations and clubs care about rivalrys while others do not. sounds like the guy who did this went a little overboard.

I disagree with most of Australias 'rivals' on the game. We have played Uruguay in a friendly since 2005, without any dramas. Ditto Croatia, both fans got on brilliantly in Stuttgart (was a fun night!). Most of these are simply pointless. I would suggest England as the only fierce rival (tho that doesnt mean they see it the same way...) with New Zealand, Japan as the other rivals.

New Zealand should have Australia as fierce rivals, whilst the Australian attitude towards them is similar to the English attitude towards us.

Otherwise things become a little silly really, do we hate Argentina for knocking us out in 1993? What about Isreal?

Uruguay is a definate rival and I would even come close to saying it's a fierce rival.

It does not take years and years for a rivalry to form - some get formed over seconds.

Why?

Two huge World Cup qualifying games against them for 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

During the first encounter for the 2002 World Cup, they encouraged their fans to disrupt our Australian players at their hotel.

At the second encounter, Australian fans booed the Uruguayan national team during their anthem. The reason for this is because a number of their players stated that they had a divine right to the World Cup and Australia did not.

A similar thing can be said with Iran...

Turkey - hated each other ever since Gallipoli.

No. Just no.

Whilst i understand the recent history between Uruguay and Australia, i just dont think it is particularly relevant anymore, its in the past and both nations have moved on. A rivalry is something which has ongoing relavance, no matter what the context. If australia were to play a friendly against any country in the world, which countries would we really, and i mean really, not wish to lose against?

Easy. England. Thats it. Perhaps against Iran there would be feeling since its the first meeting since that day in 1997, but other then that there is no reason for ill feeling between the two teams. Other then that we would not want to lose to NZ, but that is more pride and arrogance then any real sense of rivalry. The rest of these suggestions just seem very spurious to me. Perhaps my opinion of what constitutes a rivalry differs from others.

If you tried hard enough I'm sure you could come up with reasons for most of the nations or club sides in the game to have rivalries with the others, if you take it to extremes of having been on opposing sides in a conflict nearly a century old then it's getting a bit OTT in my opinion.

Try playing in Italy as one of the bigger club sides, it actually gets quite tedious when 2 of every 3 league matches are against your "rivals". As a Scot, I can say the only nation I consider to be anything close to a rival is England, even though we haven't played in 10 years it's far, far beyond anything else. IIRC in the game Scotland has Ireland as "other rivals", which I personally find bizarre as I'm sure, just like me, most Scots couldn't give a hoot about Ireland/N.I./Wales, they're just "foreign" countries like any other.

I put these in there and quite simply it boils down to:

Traditional Sporting Rivals - the British teams, NZ,

Local Rivals - Japan, S Korea, China, Iraq, S Arabia

Others - Iran (based on previous games), Uruguay (based on previous games), Croatia (based on previous games and them stealing 3 of our players)

Reviewing that list I think that in hindsight perhaps Ireland,N Ireland, China, Iraq & S Arabia can be removed

So why South Africa? Traditional Sporting Rival or Historical context?

Well, that's why I don't like them too much :D, they basically get an easy spot for the World Cup and other AFC competitions, leaving the true AFC nations to fight for one less spot. :mad: (no hard feelings though. I'm more of a CONCACAF person, Canadian soccer team supporter :p)

Honestly, the way it was set up was ridiculous anyway, with there not being any competition for Australia throughout the Oceania qualifiers, and then getting the 5th place South American team, which is always going to be a very tough task on little preparation.

Australia's inclusion in the Asian region just makes it stronger, and also means A-League teams can participate in the Asian Champions League.

Tbh, only Australia and New Zealand (because they're just guaranteed to be facing whatever country in the Playoff in World Cup Qualifying) have benefited from Australia's move to the AFC. Well, and I guess the AFC itself as well.

With the change meaning the winner of the Oceania qualifying plays an Asian qualifier, chances are Australia would be qualifying pretty easily anyway.

I think realistically, being an Australian it's really obvious with the rivalries.

Fierce

England (Obvious really)

Uruguay (Every seems to be saying it's in the past, isn't the past the reason rivalries exist, because of the PAST)

Italy (That world cup dive will FOREVER mean they are fierce rivals)

NZ (Same as England hating the Welsh/Scottish)

Friendly

Iran (Old World Cup qualifier reasons)

Japan (Faced them in the previous world cup and have had a number of really intense matches with them over the past 4-5 years)

Croatia (Would be exactly the same as if Ryan Giggs and Roy Keane had been stolen by the England team, we've lost a lot of good talent to them over the years)

I think there are probably too many rivals but the majority of them are for a reason. Plus it's bull if people reckon rivalries disappear over time. If a rivalry begins it will most likely continue.

I think realistically, being an Australian it's really obvious with the rivalries.

Fierce

England (Obvious really)

Uruguay (Every seems to be saying it's in the past, isn't the past the reason rivalries exist, because of the PAST)

Italy (That world cup dive will FOREVER mean they are fierce rivals)

NZ (Same as England hating the Welsh/Scottish)

Friendly

Iran (Old World Cup qualifier reasons)

Japan (Faced them in the previous world cup and have had a number of really intense matches with them over the past 4-5 years)

Croatia (Would be exactly the same as if Ryan Giggs and Roy Keane had been stolen by the England team, we've lost a lot of good talent to them over the years)

I think there are probably too many rivals but the majority of them are for a reason. Plus it's bull if people reckon rivalries disappear over time. If a rivalry begins it will most likely continue.

You can't really not include the likes of Ireland, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Italy, HM's Prisons (sorry) and so on.

But seriously, a game between Ireland and Australia isn't going to be hateful, but there's a 'rivalry' of sorts there. The same would apply to anywhere where a lot of Aussies are from.

i can understand why we have so many rivals.

I hate Uruguay because of 02 & 06 and I hope they never qualify in anything ever again (I actually edited their entire national team in CM03/04 to be crap just in spite!)

I hate Iran because of their dirty tactics in 98, however, that one has calmed down a bit.

NZ & England are fairly self-explanitory, our neighbours to the east are our rivals in all sports and England, well, that's been our enemy since we started playing sport.

I don't have anything against Japan and South Korea, it might be becuase they are 2 very good Asian sides and our threats in the upcoming Asian Cup. In fact, I love watching our opening game in Germany, top match!

Croatia and Australia have a rivalry becuase of the many players who are either born in Australia and go play for Croatia and vice-versa. Always a violent but great game.

Not too sure why China is in there, however, I think China were 1 of the countries against Australian entering the Asian Federation, but don't quote me on that.

Ireland doesn't make any sense at all, maybe they don't like us because we flogged them not long ago.

Italy should be in there though, those diving sons of motherless dog lovers cost us our rightful place in the final 16.

Oh, and to the guy who said we should be rivals with Turkey, you're a peanut, we have nothing against the Turks, and they have nothing against us, learn some history mate. The Turks told the English that they didn't want to get involved with WW1, however England & France wanted to use the channel to get to the Germans, so, since they had a nice little dogsbody in the young Australia they sent us in, to the wrong damn place! The Turks had never even heard of Australia, no we of them. They were defending their land, we were do our bit for queen and country and all that carp. After the war Australia and Turkey said let by-gones be by-gones and we all moved on. Every year on April 25 thousands of Australians & New Zealands head over to Turkey to celebrate the day we landed at Gallipoli, and the Turks remember that day beside us, as friends. There is a mutual respect between the nations, not a rivalry. Sorry to get a bit egghead on you, but I just get annoyed when people misquote history.

Don't forget in a World Cup qualifier in Melbourne many moons ago Iran beat Australia even when we were 2-0 up early ? that was when Bosnich was in goal for the Aussie Socceroos. Also now we are playing in Asia, so a few Asian nations will show up as our rivals also eg - Japan ...

Archived