The importance of biographies

For the first time in FM10 I’ve been able to get into a long-term game, and I’ve seen the great value added by player biographies.

Being able, in the year 2021, to read the biography of a player you developed from the youth team into your starting 11, and that went on to have a glorious career for your club adds to the immersive quality of the game world.

Of course we’ve always had a player’s history, where we can see some of these stats, but being able to read, in actual phrases composed of words, definitively adds something different to the game. Having written descriptions instead of only numbers makes you feel more involved.

I hope this feature is expanded upon on future versions. Maybe the biography could actually show that your player scored the goal that gave you the championship. Or describe that he had a couple of difficult seasons when starting his career until he finally exploded on a certain moment.

I believe that these features, which seem so superficial when a new version of FM is released, actually add much more to the game than could be anticipated. After all, FM depends on making you feel as part of that game world, on making you stand up when the striker you just sent into the pitch as your last hope, scores the added time goal that saves your club from relegation.

This feature and the "where are they now" feature are great additions to the game. However they need to ensure that the biography is continued when a player becomes staff. It would be great to see where that player was and what he achieved in order to effectively build your backroom staff. I love the biography and "where are they now" feature and would love to see this continued in future installments. Maybe alongside an accurate trophy info screen for each player/staff member.

^

Lucho is a moron of a manager, after relegating [team name] in 10/11, he jumped ship and managed to relegate [team name] in 11/12. If I was a betting man, i would bet on his team going DOWN

At last, a praise thread... I quite like biographies, pity that they don't start until 22? though.... I can help a player win the CL but there will be no biography until he turns 22/23 (despite winning every individual award known to man)

Archived