FM 09 - Manager personality

One thing that annoys me is that my players, even when they play well don't enjoy being praised, of course if I ridiculed them all the time some praise would be a nice change, but I would probably have a riot on my hands if I kept bullying my players.

Anyway, one little idea I had was for your personality to be gauged by your actions in the public eye.

For example, if I had all these rows with other managers - I kept riling other managers up pre-game, then I would be more interesting to my players and the public.

I'm not sure if that example is a good one but here's another: after proving myself to the players I further their admiration for me by making good substitutes, and other such tactical decisions, they then think I have a good footy brain so they really listen into my teamtalks and they are more likely to obey my instructions.

Please tell me if you're unsure of what I mean, but basically all I'm saying the game would be miles better if the manager actually had a personality (I know other managers do but we don't...in game that is).

I don't really have a good idea of how you're personalty should be gauged, but I think everything would be just so much better as there would be more personal interest and more behind the scenes stuff.

Ideas?

One thing that annoys me is that my players, even when they play well don't enjoy being praised, of course if I ridiculed them all the time some praise would be a nice change, but I would probably have a riot on my hands if I kept bullying my players.

Anyway, one little idea I had was for your personality to be gauged by your actions in the public eye.

For example, if I had all these rows with other managers - I kept riling other managers up pre-game, then I would be more interesting to my players and the public.

I'm not sure if that example is a good one but here's another: after proving myself to the players I further their admiration for me by making good substitutes, and other such tactical decisions, they then think I have a good footy brain so they really listen into my teamtalks and they are more likely to obey my instructions.

Please tell me if you're unsure of what I mean, but basically all I'm saying the game would be miles better if the manager actually had a personality (I know other managers do but we don't...in game that is).

I don't really have a good idea of how you're personalty should be gauged, but I think everything would be just so much better as there would be more personal interest and more behind the scenes stuff.

Ideas?

I posted something similar a while back. Im a RPG junkie and like the idea that depending on what you do/say your character changes. I think that Fm should be similar in that everything you do has an outcome - and this will change how you are perceived in the media and by players.

Ferguson, for example known for his 'hairdryer' treatment. Coppell is more patient and calm etc. Id like to see that in FM.

I agree.

But I suppose if the Manager had a personality a lot of stuff would have to recoded. I don't know maybe we could see something like an actual personality in the next game.

If done right i'm sure a lot of people would really appreciate it.

Perhaps Fifa Manager has done something like a personality. Does anyone know if the have and if it works

Good post - I agree

I would also like to see more involvment with day to day handling of players with the ability to react: Players performs badly - you say 'I am dropping you because you performed so bad last match' or 'Your dropped next game for turning up late'.

Also like to see supporter and board forums - where you asked a series of questions about the future of the club - new signings or bring youth through, performance of certain players, etc.

All of this could be used to assess your personality. Not just how players and other managers view you but also the supporters.

I think personality is already in the game, just held at its extremes only, in my latest game I have gone from being Unknown Manager to Popular mManager in a matter of months, it helps when three times the team has overcome a deficit cause of my words at half time, but also a mod table team winning in Serie 2C is looking pretty good too, reputation is still Unknown lol.

Sure you have a reputation and that has a small influence on half time team talks but I and lots of other people would really like it if the Manager's personality affected other things.

Just had another interrelated thought - many people would like to see the ability to influence other Manager's of National teams team selection, perhaps personality could affect whether or not your opinion was heard. For example the media headline could read "Controversial manager XXXXXXXX states that Ronaldo is fat and too lazy to be playing for Brazil," or on the other hand "Spirited manager VVVVVVV recommends young superstar to Capello."

I personally would love to be able to have ongoing wars with other managers, spitefully taking aapart other Managers would be awesome.

What do you think? Would this not work?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> sounds like more work for the programmers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And? They get paid to work dont they?

The fans forum thing, which sounds like a very good idea, wouldn't be hard to implement, would presumably just be an extension of the media questions. Of course you'd have to have the chance of turning down the invite to a fans forum which would further affect your personality.

I've said before here that the ability to comment/offer advice to other managers would be an excellent feature, as would other managers/FA's asking advice when you become a more experienced manager. Being able to discipline payers for not following instructions is another thing I'd love to see, that gets very frustrating sometimes.

Archived