Board expectations -- continental qual. through league -- not possible!??

Hi. I'm managing in a league that does not send teams to continental competitions. The Canadian Soccer League. It is considered the 3rd tier of Canadian soccer, behind MLS (Toronto FC) and USL-1 (Montreal and Vancouver). The game considers it the top tier of Canadian soccer, as MLS and USL are considered American leagues.

But my board have set the expectation to qualify for continental soccer through the league.

If I finish high in the league, but obviously don't get accepted to any CONCACAF competitions, will the board consider it failure, will it cost me in terms of job security?

What?!?

How do you play CSL or USL in Football Manager can you please tell me.

It through a cheat or editor?

If they're not playable in the game, I presume he either downloaded an edited database where they are included, or created one himself. There are loads of different downloadable databases over in the Editor's forum. :)

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

What?!?

How do you play CSL or USL in Football Manager can you please tell me.

It through a cheat or editor?

In FM10, the teams and leagues are in the editor, you just need to add them to nation rules (Canada) and tweak the rules for the competitions. Or you could download some excellent packages at fmnorthamerica.com

If you are interested in North American soccer or North American soccer in FM, you should join that site and get involved. :)

Hi. I'm managing in a league that does not send teams to continental competitions. The Canadian Soccer League. It is considered the 3rd tier of Canadian soccer, behind MLS (Toronto FC) and USL-1 (Montreal and Vancouver). The game considers it the top tier of Canadian soccer, as MLS and USL are considered American leagues.

But my board have set the expectation to qualify for continental soccer through the league.

If I finish high in the league, but obviously don't get accepted to any CONCACAF competitions, will the board consider it failure, will it cost me in terms of job security?

I'm not sure what will happen, but since this is a created league why can't you just edit the league to be beneath the MLS and ULS as the 3rd tier league?

I'm sure that if you finish among the top 4 or 5, the board will recognise that as a sufficient performance. Take it more of an indicator of where in the table you are expected to finish.

I guess this flaw can hardly be fixed as SI don't officially support the league...

In FM10, the teams and leagues are in the editor, you just need to add them to nation rules (Canada) and tweak the rules for the competitions. Or you could download some excellent packages at fmnorthamerica.com

If you are interested in North American soccer or North American soccer in FM, you should join that site and get involved. :)

I think you have answered your own question there. If you have added the teams and tweaked the rules then you must have done something

I'm not sure what will happen, but since this is a created league why can't you just edit the league to be beneath the MLS and ULS as the 3rd tier league?

In the editor, I set the Canadian Soccer League to comp. level 3, but since this is the highest level for the playable leagues in the Canadian national rules, the game still recognizes it as the top flight.

Basically, the problem is that Canadian and U.S. soccer operate a bit differently from the entire rest of the world. Since MLS is included in the game, it has been hard-coded to overcome most of the problems this presents.

Really, by activating the other U.S. and Canadian competitions in the editor, the overall results are very good. This is one of the only potential problems so far, but as some posters have said, it might not be a problem at all, and the board expectation may just be (in reality) a different wording for "finish in the top four or five of the league."

BTW, Canadian teams, in both real life and in FM, qualify to continental competitions not through the MLS or any league for that matter, but through the Canadian Championship tournament, a small 3 team tourney btw. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal to determine the Cdn. rep in the CONCACAF Champions' League.

Archived