What are the reasons you sign old players ?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there are people silly enough like me to sign 33-4-5 old players who are a world-known name or at least you know them pretty well.

I always seem to do that nevermind how expensive their wage is.

The reason? - I spam them to become coaches and remain in the game because I don't want to live in a pure newgen/regen world :D

How about you?

when i first start at a club, i usually look to offload any over 30s and try to replace them with younger alternatives. mainly just so i can generate as much funds possible for the player straight away and im not lumbered with a bench warming, high earning bench-warmer.

however, if i see world class 30+ players up for grabs who i think can improve my side i wont rule out bringing them in. experience can prove vital, espescially if your short on quality, funds and players in the lower leagues. after all,

"many a fair tune is played on an old fiddle. espescially in an indian summer"

If its a world class name, sometimes i bring them in, just so they are in my team, and i can say they have played for me. On my current game messi is 34, his physical stats are all around 11, yet i still want him in my team. Because he is Messi.

Also they are great at developing young players.

I only sign players over 28 if its a GK. Over 30 if its a backup or a good free transfer GK. And I tend to sell players over 30 again unless its a backup GK. Although in one of my saves Dzeko is 32 and still scoring about 30 goals a season and his wage demands are going down so I'm going to keep him as he wants to retire with the club and his contract runs out soon anyways. But he is the only exception I've made in a while. Otherwise I like to cash out on old players. I refuse to be Sir Alex Ferguson and keep players like Neville and Scholes on high wages that rarely play.

I regularly sign older players, though only if I'm playing as a team with limited funds and a need for some experience. I like to develop younger players, however this takes time and when you're ambitious signing players between 28-32 can really help in providing a stop-gap solution. I must add that I can't recall ever paying a fee for anyone over 30, most of my captures are as free transfers.

In the lower-leagues, just because its great fun and it can be pretty effective. Its got harder to do as the games have got, well more realistic, but having an injury-plauged 37 year old Juninho running the Rushden and Diamond's midfield is quite a sight.

Certain posistions aren't as affected by aging either; defensive midfielders, certain types of striker, so you can sign a 32 year old and get three or four good seasons out of him. Again more effective in the lower-leagues usually. Actually, another time I use them is if I've got promoted: you can usualy get a few proven older players at that level for decent money, maybe out of contract, which is reassurance to me if nothing else when compared to a squad who have by in large never played there before. Considering that happens quite a lot in real life as well, I always thought that is something that could be better reflected in the game.

I always have a check of their natural fitness - high stat tends to mean a prolonged career in my experience.

For example, I've signed Grahame Alexander for my Falkirk team. He's 39, and still able to play two games a week and put in a pretty decent shift. I've also signed a 35yr old Ghana international who has simply been a rock at def midfield and certainly played an important part.

It seems to me that the stat decline has been fixed - only those players who don't get played often seem to lose their stats quickly. I think this is the issue people most associate with older players - but I think its more a psychological thing. I imagine most experiences go like this - sign 30+ yr player, think "I'll use them sporadically as back up", no playing time = decrease in CA, decrease in CA = even less chance of a game, player ends up getting little playing time and manager ends up thinking older players are useless.

I find they are less useful as backup, but very useful if you've got a position that needs filling (that's what she said).

I think it depends on the player really. So I don't make hard and fast rules about not buying older players.

I bought a 34 year Juliano Belletti as cover for RB, but he was so good, he claimed it as his own, played nearly every game of the season and finished with 7.20 average rating. It was the best 300k I've spent.

Professionalism is generally regarded as the most important attribute in determining pace of youth development, so players whose personality description suggests that is high, ie Model Pro, Pro, Spirited, Resolute. If I could ever find a model citizen then I would pay anything at any age to sign him - think of the next batch of youth!

Not every player in the team needs his physical attributes. If I just like the player sometimes I will sign/keep him in for nostalgia. After a ten year career game, I ended up at Liverpool with Stevie G still there at 39 or something. Still had all his mentral attributes but was not good enough for Prem, but I still insisted on giving him his cameo role! Kalinichenko at 34 or so for his impact with freekicks. They lose physical attributes firstly so they most likely won't play ninety minutes but as a backup defender, or striker if they are a poacher type I see no problem if they are cheap.

Oldies are an ESSENTIAL buy in the lower divisions, particularly EC foreigners . They more or less easily have the best attributes, and if they remain more or less injury free, are the difference between just getting a promotion, or trying for an unbeaten season.

You can't beat a bit of experience. In my Villa save I had Petrov (Stiliyan (sp?)) playing 1st team to the age of 34 and he was my captain. Because I'm sentimental I kept him around in the reserves, midway through the following season we were strugglinmg for form. It was then I recalled the then 35 year old warhorse back to the first team, in a game we won and he scored...

Sometimes the old ones really are the best.

yes but only the worlds best ones, like ronaldinho, Beckham, Ronaldo Luís Nazário, Bellamy

Total rubbish. Not everyone manages Manchester United.

Read what I and plenty others have written in this thread. Lower/Non-league managers don't bring in the Beckhams and Ronaldos. We bring in old warhorses who've never played league football but still do a sterling job.

Total rubbish. Not everyone manages Manchester United.

Read what I and plenty others have written in this thread. Lower/Non-league managers don't bring in the Beckhams and Ronaldos. We bring in old warhorses who've never played league football but still do a sterling job.

Exactly...

Every team needs different things from their older players. More often than not it's experience and leadership more than a big reputation.

I prefer to actually have players in my squad of mature ages (around 35) but only if they've been with the club for many seasons after I signed them as a younger player. For example I kept Mamadou Sakho starting every game from his 20 yrs old until he was 35. He racked up so many appearances and his mental attributes made up for his rather lacking pace (he was still very strong at 35 however)

I am unhappy actually payingfor older players, I prefer to let players become old at my club.

Oldies are an ESSENTIAL buy in the lower divisions, particularly EC foreigners . They more or less easily have the best attributes, and if they remain more or less injury free, are the difference between just getting a promotion, or trying for an unbeaten season.

I can understand your point, but i've managed fine without signing oldies. I use the ones that are there at the club already, if they're good enough. But i don't sign any.

Although i have to say that i've been managing in Brazil though. Don't know if it's a bit different there compared to other countries.

Archived