Too Many Yellow Cards

No matter what settings I choose even with cautious tackling I seem to be conceding lots of yellow cards in every game. Does the tackling setting have any effect on player behaviour at all? This has happened with numerous teams in three different leagues but it's beyond a joke in Serie A, a yellow card at almost every foul.

Are you using the latest patch?

Yes, 10.2.

I can't tell if there's a difference between Hard and Cautious because the amount of fouls and cards doesn't seem to change. I play a quick tempo, pressing game if that makes any difference. My players are not any more aggressive than average. My first choice back four are 14, 13, 11 15 aggression.

Stand off opponents, stay on feet helps but may ruin your game if applied vs the wrong team.

I had this problem as well, actually I still have it to some extend. Is your squad a very new one? My experience was that a new team with lots of new signings due to not being gelled or whatever seem to get much more cards.

Stand off opponents, stay on feet helps but may ruin your game if applied vs the wrong team.

I had this problem as well, actually I still have it to some extend. Is your squad a very new one? My experience was that a new team with lots of new signings due to not being gelled or whatever seem to get much more cards.

Yes, it is a new squad. I took over Parma and they have a pretty awful squad so I brought in 13 players.

Ok I dig up that from Tactical Theorems 10 (invaluable source of info for people like me who have no clue about the tactics and stuff.

Too many yellow cards

Suspensions can hurt you late on in a season, especially when key players are also injured. Keeping discipline is therefore important to the team. Players get cautioned all the time, but you can make sure that they get cautioned less often.

Tackling percentage is high: Clearly you’re winning a lot of tackles, but when you lose them you end up taking out the opposition player. Try playing less aggressively with the tackling so that the team only make the tackle when it is definitely “on”. On the whole, you would want your tackling percentage to be high. However, if certain players or the team are getting a lot of cards despite a high tackling percentage, it may be worth sacrificing some bite in the tackle to avoid suspensions, and sendings off.

Fouls conceded is low: Same as above. Mostly the tackling is good, but when it goes wrong it goes very wrong. Check the stats and the highlights to make sure it isn’t one player being the culprit. Ask whether this is the player’s aggression or the position he is

playing, and work out why he gives away so many yellow cards. It may, therefore, be worth looking for a pattern in the player’s behaviour over several games.

Tackling percentage is low: The team are being pulled out of position constantly and are making bad challenges; obviously a few of these are fouls, and serious ones at that. Work on team shape by playing more defensively, maybe with a more rigid philosophy and by reducing closing down. If it does not appear to be a positioning problem having viewed the highlights, somewhat ironically it may help to increase tackling intensity. Sometimes a half-hearted challenge is more likely to give away a free kick than a fully-committed one.

Fouls conceded is high: Same as above. In addition, use the player stats to check the players conceding most fouls. In professional football, most referees will consider cautioning for persistent fouling after three or four fouls, regardless of how trivial they may seem. Pre-emptive action may prevent a yellow turning into a red. Alternatively, watch the highlights to work out why they give away so many fouls and take steps to reduce it.

• 1 month later...

just had 9 yellows with mike dean as referee, 2 for one player which means a red of course. pitch was soaking wet but 9 yellows?

always get loads of cards with mike dean, he is a complete w****r.

always try and protect players from getting a second yellow but run out of subs very early on !!

Archived