Has anyone ever had success being run by the Fans Trust?

On my save as Newcastle I've been in so-so financial status and found myself being taken over by a fans trust

After being under embargo nearly all season and an injury crisis I managed to miss the promotion push to the Premiership, not that I had any transfer funds but a few loans and the like would have been nice. I finished 3rd on goal difference but had to play a greyed out keeper in goal and had 1 fit striker so lost the Play Off Semi Final to Ipswich.

The Trusts didn't put any investment in and my finances were hanging around the £4m mark so I figured, no money again.

Start of the season and I was given a £12m pot! For the Championship!:eek: and had my wage budget nearly double as well as finding out I could appoint 4 extra coaches to my 7 current team.

I assumed we'd got a loan but the excitement of money took me and I bought a new younger squad axing some of the older wage heavy talent whilst keeping a few key players. Into October and we went into administration and I found we were £20m in the red!:thdn:

Came out of administration in January to avoid a firesale but was stunned to see my budget set at £8m! :confused:

If I spent even a £1m of that we'd crash straight back into administration in the middle of a transfer window and my younger talent and key players would go for pennies!

I got us up and the TV money and the like gave the club finances a relatively healthy looking £3m....my transfer budget £20m!:confused:

I have 3 CVA's and 2 bank loans which payments alone will probably send me into administration never mind forking out £20m on players. I didn't spend anything and come November we hit administration again and there's absolutely no sign of a buy out

So I have to ask, are the Fans Trust deliberately care free with the cash as SI have designed it so they think as 'fans' and not businessmen?

Similar instances have occured on previous saves where a Fans Trust, even under AI has run itself into the ground

I almost wished there was a 'for gods sake but something in the bank' ultimatum

So you have a balance of £4m, spend all the xfer budget they give you and wonder why you're in administration?

They are fans, not accountants. Its poor decision making on their part but also poor management on yours to not realise that there wasn't actually any money in the bank. Thats what the finances tab is for!

Sounds like a poorly managed club...Just like real life with Pompey...When I was Spurs manager the budget that was given seemed like it was going to run the club into the ground and that was still ran by Levy. If I ever spent my budget I would be 20mil in the red.

So you have a balance of £4m, spend all the xfer budget they give you and wonder why you're in administration?

They are fans, not accountants. Its poor decision making on their part but also poor management on yours to not realise that there wasn't actually any money in the bank. Thats what the finances tab is for!

I had looked at that but it was the excitement f the cash, I only spent £4m and the rest was fee free loans

I didn't spend in January or the Summer when I needed to and I did get rid of my high earners to the point my highest earner was on £23,000 which I thought was fairly responsible

I was just trying to work out whether the game engine recognises that as fans the financial policy would be dubious

Not at all. It's not the job of a manager to manage the teams entire finance system as well - only the team. He should spend whatever he is given, and the board shouldn't give him more than it can allow.

• SI Staff

Remember that much of the financial trouble you see at lots of clubs (and there are some very high profile examples) is due to the board taking a huge financial gamble on staying in a division or getting promoted. This gamble usually takes the form of paying high wages and paying high transfer fees for players, usually using credit facilities, borrowed against possible future success. The gamble can pay off but it is a massive risk and sometimes it doesn't pay off.

Fans are a contrary bunch. They want success and as a result often put huge pressure on their club's board to provide the money to fund new players. However, at the same time they are potentially contributing to their club's downfall in urging it to take a big gamble.

Fans Trusts in the game aren't necessarily bad businessmen, it just appears in this case they looked to take a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Not at all. It's not the job of a manager to manage the teams entire finance system as well - only the team. He should spend whatever he is given, and the board shouldn't give him more than it can allow.
I think you shouldn't be able to see your balance anyway, I doubt real-life managers know how much is in the bank you should be given budgets to spend. If you go into administation it's the board's fault

These I completely agree with, however, remember, the game blames the manager for EVERYTHING, and here lays a major problem in my opinion

In most case the manager is usually responsible only for team performances, and sometimes transfers, everything else is usually blamed onto clubs board/owners

Of course, being in the unique position of seeing balance sheets, should mean you know what you can really spend or not spend

Archived