Season 2 - To spend or not to spend..

Hi All

Just finished my first seasn with Sampdoria, finishing 2nd which I'm really happy with, and now I've been given 24m to spend but I have ruined games before by spending a lot for the sake of it.

As a rule do you usually spend after a good season or try to stick with what you have??

Cheers

I usually identify areas in the team that needed strengthening a couple of months or so before the end of the season and then scout those positions as much as I can - then hopefully I will have one or two definite targets to aim for (with a couple of back up choices). Then try and be strict with myself.

I'm not always, but in the seasons where i've been careful its definitely made for a better following season.

I spend nothing in the summer just to realise I really should've and then spend everything on a few players in the winter transfer.

Thats what I can see happening with me as I'm in the Champions League and I don't have many players with big match experience! But over the season they have done okay against the Milan's, Roma Juve etc and I just know that 2 days after the window closes Cassano, Di Maria or Pazzini will get injured for months!!

Personally I will only buy one or two players that WILL go into the first team, but in positions that hasn't already got lots of cover (ie. no point in buying striker if you already have 4 decent ones)

Other than that, buy cheap cover/youths that could develop into decent players once your first-teamers start getting old or complaining and leaving (and trust me, they will, as player rep always grows faster than team rep and loyalty doesn't truly exist in this game)

be firm with yourself, do spend, but only where the squad NEEDS it. dont replace players simply cos you can

I think this is the most likely option for me, despite the transfer kitty being good the wages will not permit the likes of Dzeko, Naldo and Brazagli so I think I will only get a centre back and right back if I can find the right player for the right price (Arbeloa is availiable)

You need to structure your spending, so you have a small but steady turnaround in players.

Look at replacing older players and ones who don't have long to run on contracts; sounds simple but plan a year or two ahead and you'll be able to rebuild your squad with minimal disruption and maximise financial gain on older players.

it is right to think ahead..while you are playing your current season.think ahead for the next transfer window..you might buy players that would upgrade any of your position..try to buy the one that will improve more..spend the budget on one player..then next window/season..another player..plus cheap young players who would replace the one's in decline or soon to decline

Spend, I did with Atalanta

Get Nelson Rivas (Defence at Samp sucks) on a free and sell him next season and get Otamendi

All the previous games I've started with them I would agree but this season seems to be different for some reason. I've played:

Ochoa

Stanky Lucchini Rossi Accardi/Zauri

They have player really well!

Lucchini got defender of the season, but I think that is because he has score 14 goal from corners!

Was second an over achievement? Should you have won the league or a long way short? Has your team got much depth?

I usually spend to be honest, but I have never (well for a couple of years now) been top of league run away leader by ten points or more, I prefer to play smaller mid table teams and try to change the power shift. If you are happy with squad sign four or five top youths and then at least in case of injuries you can blood some young uns.

After finishing 8th, these are my Atalanta signings, Look at transfer listed players and you can get some great bargains like Llorente as a backup for Pazzini or Eguren for DM or CM (both Villareal)

screenshotstudiocapturenf.png

I also recommend loaning Ekdal for AM or CM and buying Paloschi who has scored 7 in 11(Hat trick vs Milan)

Get Otamendi as well, great player who will rise to about 30m in value

It's not a question of spending or not, but spending it wisely.

I have a tendency in my career games with lower league teams to buy players from free transfers and selling them after only a season or two for some handsome profit. While that really helps the club advance to higher leagues, it also has the high risk of causing a lack of harmony in the squad. To get beyond that issue, I often need to stop my transfer adventures completely for a year or two and keep the squad stable. By then, I'm usually in need to re-sign two thirds of my players and half of them are not particularly interested in spending a few more years at the club :(

So you see, being too impatient and free with your spending can cause some serious issues for you. Where I always have the option and possibility to buy 5 to 10 useful new players per season, I constantly need to restrain myself to limit that number to 2 or 3 only. If I manage to do that, my progress towards my long-term goal (mainly European football) will take longer, but it's much easier managing the team in the meantime.

Was second an over achievement? Should you have won the league or a long way short? Has your team got much depth?

I usually spend to be honest, but I have never (well for a couple of years now) been top of league run away leader by ten points or more, I prefer to play smaller mid table teams and try to change the power shift. If you are happy with squad sign four or five top youths and then at least in case of injuries you can blood some young uns.

I think it was an over achievment (even got over achievers of the season). I was really happy as I was aiming for top 7! Only bought 2 players in my first season (granted they were Di Maria + Ochoa). In fairness I was 13 points behind AC Milan.

At your level sign what you need means players that you can see will still do a good job for you 2 - 3 seasons later. Some signings take a whole season to adapt (exaggerated imo, SI should tone this down a notch) after a world-beating first 5 matches, and the game rewards squad harmony and familiarity.

In my Dover save the seemingly **** players constantly perform beyond their attributes and I think it's due to squad stability.

Archived