SI should look at the distributor of Football Manager in Finland

Yesterday I visited half a dozen gaming shops in Turku, which is the 3rd biggest city in Finland. Not a single copy available anywhere.

Now, that in itself isn't such a bad thing. But in most of the stores the clerks could say it straight away without looking from their stock levels, so clearly others had asked before me.

And, most importantly, all refused to order more saying it isn't worth the effort as nothing will be delivered in any case!!!!

I'll buy a digital copy then, but would have much preferred to buy from a store to be able to get discounts by selling older games (such as previous FM version) to them at the same time.

you want a boxed copy so you can sell it when your done with it? most publishers are trying to eliminate second hand game sales, so your not helping the case for a boxed copy, the digi version gives you exactly what the publisher wants = no way to sell the game on again, as they dont get a penny from a trade in,

That and the fact i dont trade in FM games (Champ man games before that :D )

but ultimatley ask Sega of finland (Assuming there is one)

you want a boxed copy so you can sell it when your done with it? most publishers are trying to eliminate second hand game sales, so your not helping the case for a boxed copy, the digi version gives you exactly what the publisher wants = no way to sell the game on again, as they dont get a penny from a trade in.

The publisher isn't loosing any money when the retailer gives a discount to me for 2nd hand games. The retailer pays the same price to publisher. Frankly I'd wager having 2nd hand versions of earlier FM titles around for a few euros actually help SI alot, basically they are demos to lure potential customers of future versions.

And the issue isn't about what publishers prefer, it is about what I as consumer prefer. That is what SI should listen to when negotiating with their publishers.

i agree with that but no publishers dont get a penny from a retailer for 2nd hand games, as the retailer then sell it on for 100% profit to themselves and publishers dont like that and are trying to stamp it out and unfortunatly our views as a customer seem to mean squat as far as a publishers are concerned, for example take activision they only want games they can turn into a franchise, that can bring in the $$'s and nothing more they even put the price of the latest call of duty up despite the outcry from the consumer, SI are owned by Sega who are their publisher so si have nothing to do with distribution. so if Sega start getting arsey with 2nd hand sales expect steam and digi downloads only :(

Bear in mind, alot of "second hand sales" are from games that are no longer sold new anyway, therefore no publisher/developer is making/loosing money

99% of industries have a 2nd hand market... hell without it most of us wouldnt be driving for starters, plus lets not forget charity shops sell 2nd hand goods

Its life, dont need or want something, sell it too someone who does

As for 2nd hand sales of games that are still being sold new... well perhaps if games weren't released in such bad states these days... but thats a different story

As relevance to Football Manager, I have never personally seen a 2nd hand copy of the current edition of FM/CM at that point in time, only older copies, therefore money hasn't been lost for SEGA personally, so they shouldn't really care

If anything, NOT selling boxed copies will loose potential sales, I for one will never buy from steam, the only company I will buy digital downloads from is Gamersgate, and that is because they dropped the need to install their software at the same time as the game

The only compromise Ive ever made is with Stardock, and their software is non-intrusive

i prefer boxed copies and agree with your point about second hand cars but most games are avilable 2nd hand when they are selling new, for isntance i was in GAME last friday and there were about a dozen copies of FM2010 with pre-owned stickers on, right next to the new ones,2nd hand market for games will end if publishers get their way.

I dont want it to happen as i buy alot of games 2nd hand only, and wouldnt play half as much stuff i couldnt fet them second hand, but the big publishers really dont like the fact they get nothing from software, and there are numerous articles around the web detailing the fact publishers are trying to end this, and ANY copy getting sold 2nd hand is money lost by sega, they are a business and FM is a revune stream so they want as much money from that stream as possible, have you not noticed the price of the game steadily increasing in line with other pc games?

If they dont care wouldnt the game stay at its £14.99 price point it was about 2 year ago as opposed to having a RRP of £29.99 this time out?

PC Games have been £30 for as long as I can remember

Infact, Consoles games used to be £30, but has since increased slowly, and publishers now have the audacity to charge extra for every little thing (which is now slowly coming to PC games as well grrr...)

As for 2nd hand copies of FM10, that's quite unusual this Ive not seen personally before

@Kalle, I presume you've sorted yourself out with a digital copy?

Yesterday I visited half a dozen gaming shops in Turku, which is the 3rd biggest city in Finland. Not a single copy available anywhere.

Now, that in itself isn't such a bad thing. But in most of the stores the clerks could say it straight away without looking from their stock levels, so clearly others had asked before me.

And, most importantly, all refused to order more saying it isn't worth the effort as nothing will be delivered in any case!!!!

I'll buy a digital copy then, but would have much preferred to buy from a store to be able to get discounts by selling older games (such as previous FM version) to them at the same time.

At some point for the last version (fm09) i had a hard time finding a copy as well in Sweden. And that was in Stockholm. I found one store that had loads of copies though, but i could never imagine it was so hard finding a copy on release day in Stockholm.

It's sad that you have visited all the of game shops, getting the same answer after the same answer, trying to get a good deal, the purpose to have a cherished boxed version of the game, and save some cash as well by trade in offers etc... And to be palmed away and told don't bother they won't deliver it any way. I'd be pretty peaved to say the least.

Shame really probably a sign of the times, might be mail order only or some form of digital version from now on. If your the collectable type, it isn't fair that you can miss out on a bargain and offload what you don't need any more.

Popped into recently, a Gamestation store in the UK, every now and then they'll move the isles about. Where the PS3 isle now the Wii isle all that sort of thing like they do in supermarkets. Saldy the PC games shelve with all the PC games have gone, just gone, they just plain disaperared. Just console games now, just them.

Alot of places don't actually take PC Game as trade ins as you can buy the game on the MOnday, burn it to your PC and trade it on for cash on the same day. Hence no profit for Game makers.

Yeah there is that, but most honest folks are burning it to re-distribute, they are just getting burnt by the 'process'.

It's more the; buying a game, and just want to trade it in because you just want to, you don't play it any more. But the 'X' number of only installs is more the issue. To much hassle explaining that to some Grandparent who has bought it for a gift, say they've already had it. As present, for them to not be able to accept it as of the confusion over the limited installs. Causing confusion the un-knowing gift buyers, who don't even bother with anything techie or games, to those taking advantage who do know, that they can take the mick.

I'll ask why we're sold out - no obvious reason why we should be.

If the OP could provide the names of the stores he visited, that would be useful.

Ta

Matt

Hi,

One was Tilt, which usually is my preferred store. Actually looking at their webshop they are selling FM2010 not saying anything that they no longer have it in stock. That would be even worse service to consumer to have paid for the game expecting a delivery but stuck waiting.

Others were Gamestop, Stockmann, Sokos

Thanks a lot for taking the action!

If anything, NOT selling boxed copies will loose potential sales, I for one will never buy from steam, the only company I will buy digital downloads from is Gamersgate, and that is because they dropped the need to install their software at the same time as the game

Exactly. There are always some people who prefer boxed copies of course companies should try to maximise sales. In any case my intention wasn't that much about preference for 2nd hand games, but giving a heads up about the distribution.

And I am now a proud owner of FM2010, which is being downloaded from Gamersgate that is by far the best major e-store for games currently. Too bad the patch isn't yet released, so can't start a real game straight away.

Alot of places don't actually take PC Game as trade ins as you can buy the game on the MOnday, burn it to your PC and trade it on for cash on the same day. Hence no profit for Game makers.

I think the best way to minimise that behaviour is what Paradox is doing. No copy protection or limitations on installs, but registration required on their forums per game to access tech support, modding forums, after action reports and access to beta versions of patches. When buying a 2nd hand copy from a store, at least with Finnish law, you can get your money back if you aren't provided with the code to register.

I think the best way to minimise that behaviour is what Paradox is doing. No copy protection or limitations on installs, but registration required on their forums per game to access tech support, modding forums, after action reports and access to beta versions of patches. When buying a 2nd hand copy from a store, at least with Finnish law, you can get your money back if you aren't provided with the code to register.

Unfortunately all that will lead to is the beta patches being shared on piracy sites, and every school in Europe having 1 "go to" copy with a 3 week installation waiting list. I'm 25 now, but back when I was in school (back when there was no DRM, CM2 days) there was one or two copies making their rounds through the entire school.

edit: With paradox, in order to have patches you need to be running their distribution program don't you?

Kind of like running FM with Steam? :p

Sounds like a store wanting to promote another product over this one. Me thinking *cough..cm..cough* :)

They didn't offer me any other game as replacement, nor did I spot any other football manager brands on the shelves. Some could have been there of course.

Archived