I did not realise how good FM07 was

d d

I must admit i love playing FM10, it was really a good game. But i dug out FM07,and i forgot how good the game was. The game plays so fast and realistic, and it's so easy to pick up and play. To me in terms of speed and realism, this must rate as one of the best FM. I love playing it at the moment and it has stop me from using FM10 at the moment.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, fm07 is probably my favourite in the series as well.

Most of the stuff added since then hasn't added much to the game.

You're right, most of the stuff added, apart from the 3D view was already in the game.

Even the touchline shouts aren't really a new feature. They are basically quick tactics from 07 coded so that the specific shout you use automatically changes the sliders to a certain point on the slide.

Press conferences were already in the game just very limited. These have not improved the game much at all though and are very repetitive, they should be slowly removed if they can't be improved IMO.

Confidence has again just been expanded a little but not changed much at all. They have just used the code which was already in the game. The difference is they have chosen to divide it in to many more categories.

I have been very disappointed with the lack of genuine 'new' improvements for the game over the last 3 years.

Really? I absolutely hated FM08, for me it was the one which started the downfall of the ME.

Basically we went from a ME which was so good (FM07) to FM08 which was just so different it was unbelievable. I could never and still can't understand how they got it so wrong from 07 to where we are now. The ME is still much slower in the latest versions compared to 07 and considering the PL is regarded as the quickest most aggressive league in Europe I don't understand why they have done this.

Wasn't there some rumours that FM09 or 08 was eventually changed back to the 07 ME because of problems they couldn't solve/get around? Not sure if this is true.

Really? I absolutely hated FM08, for me it was the one which started the downfall of the ME.

Basically we went from a ME which was so good (FM07) to FM08 which was just so different it was unbelievable. I could never and still can't understand how they got it so wrong from 07 to where we are now. The ME is still much slower in the latest versions compared to 07 and considering the PL is regarded as the quickest most aggressive league in Europe I don't understand why they have done this.

Wasn't there some rumours that FM09 or 08 was eventually changed back to the 07 ME because of problems they couldn't solve/get around? Not sure if this is true.

09 was meant to be the change back but it actually became unplayable as it was so, so slow at processing. This was fixed by the last patch although it is still considered slower than FM10. I also cant understand what happened. 07 was kind of easy for ppl but the change was too drastic and once you get through a few workarounds then ppl on the whole tend to be successful. As for the typical comment of "its your tactics" most career games highlighted on the forums use the same tactic forever and they pretty much end up winning it all longterm. Therefore tactics not an issue, sadly its the ME.

I am still playing FM 2006 and I am helping my team to win 4 Premier league in rows(yes, I am hoping to win my 4th Premier league this season which my hardest season!)

I do like FM 2007 which is little abit harder than FM 2006.

FM 2008? I like it

FM 2009? I hate it!

FM 2010? It is okish but It is FM 2006 that stop me from playing FM 2010 :)

I am still playing FM 2006 and I am helping my team to win 4 Premier league in rows(yes, I am hoping to win my 4th Premier league this season which my hardest season!)

I do like FM 2007 which is little abit harder than FM 2006.

FM 2008? I like it

FM 2009? I hate it!

FM 2010? It is okish but It is FM 2006 that stop me from playing FM 2010 :)

When I first started playing CM/FM (15 years ago!, maybe more??!!) I would love every new release I could get my hands on.

When I was on FM05 I thought it was amazing. I loved it, to the point where when 06 came out I thought 'this can't be as good, should I buy it?'. But 06 was even better! I loved the game even more and repeated the process for 07. I didn't even think the game could have problems because 05>06>07 was a constant improvement.

When I bought 08 I didn't have even the smallest doubt in my mind it would be bad. I can still remember my disappointment at playing it for the first time. I was like.......what the hell is this!!!! Then I discovered these forums, which I didn't even know existed until FM08 'cos I hadn't had any problems.

Since then I have had only disappointment, I hope they can get it back on track but I doubt it. Lots of people seem to like the game but I do get tired of seeing the line 'the game is fine, more than playable, of course it has it's flaws but you can work around them' <<<< what the hell???!!! All I can say is from my point of view I am gutted. Although I have become good at altering the DB every year to make 07 up to date so thats a bonus!

I wonder if CM will eventually catach up and provide an alternative which is actaully worthy of trying, this year their game received some very good reviews so they are going in the right direction which is good!

Edit: I would say though that, although there has been a massive decline, FM10 is a slight improvement in terms of enjoyment I get from the game, but I still don't play it, FM07 all the way still. The ME is nearly acceptable in FM10 but is still way too erratic. Fingers crossed for FM11.

When I bought 08 I didn't have even the smallest doubt in my mind it would be bad. I can still remember my disappointment at playing it for the first time. I was like.......what the hell is this!!!!

I agree.

Fm08 was a steaming pile of cack and it was the point when most fans realised this series had stagnated.

I think its the story of being at the top you forget what's happening at the bottom. SI will argue this and I'm sure not everyone keeps their eye off the ball but in a big organisation once one person turns off you're in trouble. Concerning the game, I think the change was to cater for newer gamers, problem is most of these ppl are not football purists and have grown up with quick success games such as Pro or Fifa.

That's probably a good point jsolloso. I would imagine 90% of people who have come in to the game in the last 4 years have played a lot of fifa or pro evo, games which can have an effect on how you play other footy sims such as this.

I have never really given either of them much time as they don't have an option to do a career which is as in depth as I would like. Plus the gameplay is a little imaginative to say the least. Hmmmmm that makes me think......seems to be a lot of ridiculous results popping up in later versions of FM....

You're right Leeds Leeds Leeds!. Most recent gamers to the series have been brought up to footy games with the belief that you have whoever you want in whatever manner and win almost 99% of the time with little emphasis on any other aspect of the game. The reason some of us play FM above other games is because we want to create a meaningful career. To build a club up, to add to the trophy cabinet and to see a player come from nothing to glory within our management scope. To do that requires patience and sadly most recent gamers dont have that. Also it triggers one concern which is sales, if we stuck to a game for a longtime, then why would someone buy the next version? So that makes career games a catch 22 which is likely why FM lately has problems on longterm saves.

I like new gamers but what you cant do is change a product to suit them. You need to modify to recent times but if a gamer expects a cetrtain product and its nothing like the product you have then you have to forget about that gamer because the problems in changing is far greater than keeping the current product. Simple project planning really.

I'm considering going back to FM07 (just a spot of nostalgia more than anything else) but how do you go about updating the DB to such an extent that it matches real-time squads, competitions etc?

I'm assuming there is no patch solution...is it simply a case of time-consuming, patient and methodical research?

I'm considering going back to FM07 (just a spot of nostalgia more than anything else) but how do you go about updating the DB to such an extent that it matches real-time squads, competitions etc?

I'm assuming there is no patch solution...is it simply a case of time-consuming, patient and methodical research?

FM 07 - awesome. I'd love someone to create that because I dislike FM now. 2009 was OK, 2008 didn't even work for me and this version???? Well the way game chances work on here is just stupid. I was advised to use a formation and tactic that would get me shot's on goal from an 'angle' to get the best of CCC's - ridiculous. FM 07 - Klose and Van Nistl (im not going to try & spell it lol) got me 2 back to back Champions League win's for my AC Milan side. There were no real issue's with the game or bug's. Awesome game!!

The reason some of us play FM above other games is because we want to create a meaningful career. To build a club up, to add to the trophy cabinet and to see a player come from nothing to glory within our management scope. To do that requires patience and sadly most recent gamers dont have that. Also it triggers one concern which is sales, if we stuck to a game for a longtime, then why would someone buy the next version? So that makes career games a catch 22 which is likely why FM lately has problems on longterm saves.

You hit the nail on the head.

It was exactly around that time that SI stopped fixing the game breaking bugs due to their commercial strategy ie forcing us to keep buying the next version.

It's basically when they sold out. The hard core fans buy the game out of interest but they are not playing long term games because it is an inferior product to what they already have. They stick with fm07 or earlier versions because they got finished to a higher standard ie the most important aspect - long term playability - was so much better.

2007 is probably my favorite version, so many memories. Managing Canada to losing on penalties in the 2034 World Cup Final was, as lame as this sounds, my most memorable video game experience. I can still see my home-grown striker coming deep to get the ball and then dribbling through the Argentina defense for chance after chance. That's one little red circle I won't forget.

What bothers me is that, prior to FM08's release, someone from SI stated that the FM08 ME had been completely reworked from the inside out, hence the difference. However, when I mentioned this a few months ago, another person from SI said "I don't know where you got that from but it's not true". Just one of several examples of lack of communication I (and others) have noticed.

When I first started playing CM/FM (15 years ago!, maybe more??!!) I would love every new release I could get my hands on.

When I was on FM05 I thought it was amazing. I loved it, to the point where when 06 came out I thought 'this can't be as good, should I buy it?'. But 06 was even better! I loved the game even more and repeated the process for 07. I didn't even think the game could have problems because 05>06>07 was a constant improvement.

When I bought 08 I didn't have even the smallest doubt in my mind it would be bad. I can still remember my disappointment at playing it for the first time. I was like.......what the hell is this!!!! Then I discovered these forums, which I didn't even know existed until FM08 'cos I hadn't had any problems.

Since then I have had only disappointment, I hope they can get it back on track but I doubt it. Lots of people seem to like the game but I do get tired of seeing the line 'the game is fine, more than playable, of course it has it's flaws but you can work around them' <<<< what the hell???!!! All I can say is from my point of view I am gutted. Although I have become good at altering the DB every year to make 07 up to date so thats a bonus!

I wonder if CM will eventually catach up and provide an alternative which is actaully worthy of trying, this year their game received some very good reviews so they are going in the right direction which is good!

Edit: I would say though that, although there has been a massive decline, FM10 is a slight improvement in terms of enjoyment I get from the game, but I still don't play it, FM07 all the way still. The ME is nearly acceptable in FM10 but is still way too erratic. Fingers crossed for FM11.

If people have been reading my posts then clearly know that I love FM07. It is the best of all FMs even FM10 with patch 10.2. Despite waiting for what 10.3 will bring, I'm not very much hopeful, because the changes for me to enjoy needed to be dramatic, be who knows maybe I get surprised.

Also Leeds (x3 ;)) i do agree with you that in way the competition will catch up to FM, And we are starting to see this happening. Of course some here will state that CM and Fifa Manager are not real competition because the games suck and has lot of bugs and all that.

For those that are skepticals about Fifa Manager not being a true competitior for FM, here is the link for the Bafta Awards for video games and if you check under sports and strategy Fifa Manager 10 is there on nominated for both categories. In the strategy there is also FM10, but it is only category it is in. Anyway Fifa Manager 10 is for the first time nominated for a Bafta award.

PS: I even will go the length that aside from FM07, FM05 and FM06 is also far better then FM08, FM09 and FM10.

I remembered back when the original FM07 version (or FM06?) where players loves to punching, kicking and headbutting opposition players, I thought that this game is a tribute for Zidane. But I like the final version.

That was FM07, yeah. I had 7 players sent off in my first season as Liverpool- though in fairness, two were Bellamy and one was Pennant :p

I basically share the same rough opinions as L*3 on this matter, FM07's ME was a lot better than FM08's and it still hasn't been bettered. I played FM07 for two years as my only FM fix and much of the next year too, though now it shares with FM10.

I like the shouts- they save time. From newer version, I'd like to see:

• Coach reports
  • Press conferences- though I'm probably alone there!
  • Shouts
  • Analysis feature
  • Confidence

in FM07, and if sometime in the future it becomes legal to do so, I'd pay somebody to add them myself :p

That was FM07, yeah. I had 7 players sent off in my first season as Liverpool- though in fairness, two were Bellamy and one was Pennant :p

I basically share the same rough opinions as L*3 on this matter, FM07's ME was a lot better than FM08's and it still hasn't been bettered. I played FM07 for two years as my only FM fix and much of the next year too, though now it shares with FM10.

I like the shouts- they save time. From newer version, I'd like to see:

• Coach reports
  • Press conferences- though I'm probably alone there!
  • Shouts
  • Analysis feature
  • Confidence

in FM07, and if sometime in the future it becomes legal to do so, I'd pay somebody to add them myself :p

You forgot the League Editor. But I don't agree with you in Press Conferences.

I'm not a fan of the press conferences. I always send my assistant, bar when I start a job at a new team, or winning a major trophy. There should be a tick box where you can select the "assistant takes control of/attends press conferences" in a similar way to putting your assistant in control of friendly matches etc

Tempted to install FM2007 again. I think that was last FM I truly played the hell out of. Since then its been a on and off love affair. I did not like FM2008 but I really got into fm2008 when they released the final patch. FM2010 I despise so far.

I think a problem for me is that with each release you have to micro manage more and they seem to add more time sinks in the game. Not a problem for most maybe but I play with 2 other people on 1 pc so its kinda to long winded now which is a shame really as its the way we have played since Champo Italia.

While I'm not arguing with anyone on 07 being quicker than 08, 09 or 10, how many years did that ME take to get to that stage?

The FM series is always a work in progress where SI have to balance new features and wants of the fans against tinkering under the hood to the game moving at a decent speed. Given a couple more years, we could see a ME better than the 07 and all you people saying "I'll stick with this version" might end up looking a bit silly.

• Administrators
You hit the nail on the head.

It was exactly around that time that SI stopped fixing the game breaking bugs due to their commercial strategy ie forcing us to keep buying the next version.

Congratulations, this wins my "most ridiculous comment of the week" award by a long way. :thup:

Congratulations, this wins my "most ridiculous comment of the week" award by a long way. :thup:

Bit of a childish comment there. Just because in somebody elses opinion the game you currently work on 'improving', actually hasn't improved for 3 years, you choose to slag his comments off.

Tell you what, why don't you actually work on bringing new features to the game instead of doing this? By new features I don't mean dressing up the interface so it looks different either as has been done for the last 3 years. Touchline shouts lol.

I remembered back when the original FM07 version (or FM06?) where players loves to punching, kicking and headbutting opposition players, I thought that this game is a tribute for Zidane. But I like the final version.

There were so many cards in 7.0.0 it was hilarious.

If you go in to the editor section of these forums (I think!), then there is a guy who is creating an up to date DB for 07.

If I can remember the thread I will post it or message you with it. I remember having a chat with him and comparing how long it took us to change things.

I Agree, FM07 was fantastic.

I think as games get more and more advanced they will encounter more issues, which is why they tend to be longer in the making these days. I would like to see SI release FM every 2 years now rather than do a yearly release which we are expected to play with terrible bugs until they patch it 5 months later.

I'm sure everyone would love to get a FM thats spot on right from release rather than have to wait X months to get a patch so they can start new games.

I would even go as far as saying id pay for updates (transfers etc) like DLC if it meant getting a working game I can play all year rather than every few months.

Wouldn't slag off a customer personally...

I think some consumers are understandably upset and this view can be taken rather sensibly.

- FM08 wasn't an improvement on FM07 in any way - match-engine less predictable, broken confidence feature, rubbish regens, generally felt like a transition game

- FM09 was crash-ridden, vilified for its DRM, laggy, slow even without 3D enabled. Still an improvement on FM08 - if you could get past its system requirements. Still didn't fix the corner cheat either - leaving some customers wondering if SI really do listen to customers or even fix bugs

- FM10 feels more complete but isn't quite perfect with some regen issues and crash dumps

If you compare FM10 with FM07, essentially it's got a worse match engine (7.0.2 was wonderfully predictable, sensible, made sense and enjoyable), with some bells and whistles like 3D, confidence, backroom advice, a tactics creator and slightly-easier international management.

I do think part of the reason is that the average consumer isn't clued-in to the software development lifecycle and the difficulties around developing a game but I do wish sometimes developers would play Devil's Advocate and realise that the game hasn't really had "3 years worth of development + FM07 = FM10", with multiple disappointments along the way.

The final patch of FM07 wasn't like that though....

Agreed, but the 7.0.0 "patch" was a real challenge because of all the cards. I found it morbidly fun personally, with players getting injured left-right-and-centre and red cards galore. Even the 7.0.0 match engine wasn't bad.

I still believe 7.0.2 is the most "complete" version of Football Manager out there. Probably the closest you could get to "Gold Standard" or "Stable Release".

Wouldn't slag off a customer personally...

I think some consumers are understandably upset and this view can be taken rather sensibly.

- FM08 wasn't an improvement on FM07 in any way - match-engine less predictable, broken confidence feature, rubbish regens, generally felt like a transition game

- FM09 was crash-ridden, vilified for its DRM, laggy, slow even without 3D enabled. Still an improvement on FM08 - if you could get past its system requirements. Still didn't fix the corner cheat either - leaving some customers wondering if SI really do listen to customers or even fix bugs

- FM10 feels more complete but isn't quite perfect with some regen issues and crash dumps

If you compare FM10 with FM07, essentially it's got a worse match engine (7.0.2 was wonderfully predictable, sensible, made sense and enjoyable), with some bells and whistles like 3D, confidence, backroom advice, a tactics creator and slightly-easier international management.

I do think part of the reason is that the average consumer isn't clued-in to the software development lifecycle and the difficulties around developing a game but I do wish sometimes developers would play Devil's Advocate and realise that the game hasn't really had "3 years worth of development + FM07 = FM10", with multiple disappointments along the way.

Well said.

Agreed, but the 7.0.0 "patch" was a real challenge because of all the cards. I found it morbidly fun personally, with players getting injured left-right-and-centre and red cards galore. Even the 7.0.0 match engine wasn't bad.

I still believe 7.0.2 is the most "complete" version of Football Manager out there. Probably the closest you could get to "Gold Standard" or "Stable Release".

Yea I agree totally. 7.0.2 is gold!

Agree with your other post too. Can't understand why they would want to revamp the ME when it was near perfect compared to now.

Near post on corners and your best header usually works....

The good thing about it is pretty much any formation will work if you set it up right. I have had success with 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and a couple more, and believe me I usually stick with 4-4-2 but 07 is very flexible. You can actually see your tactics working on screen! It's amazing, really! You make changes, and.......you can see the changes! Unlike the random stuff produced for the last 3 versions unless you find 'a way around the flaws in the ME'....

Good luck, hope you enjoy it. I bet you will be surprised at the speed of the ME to start with...

• Administrators

He basically accused us of purposely breaking the game and not fixing it so it forces you to buy the next version. Personally I think that's a pretty ridiculous comment whichever way you look at it - it's not really as much as a comment or constructive criticism as an attack on both our integrity and our morals.

Yeah ideally the game would be perfect on release and that'd be it, but for a game as complex as Football Manager that's far easier said than done. We strive to improve with every version of the game, obviously some people feel that hasn't happened, personally I'd disagree. But that's why we try to be active in the community and listen to what our users have to say. We play the game as well so there's absolutely no way we'd want the game to get worse, we want to enjoy it as much as the people that buy it.

think i might have a stab at this..once i find my CD...anyone remember what kind of setup was best used..formation etc...did this have the challenge gk bug?

Well FM07 7.0.2 it does sometimes the Super GK, but not as frequent as in FM10, more like related to specific teams, rather then game after game like Fm10.

A game as complex as Football Manager? It's not like we are trying to split the atom now is it?

The point that is being made by the people here is that you had it with 07 with regards the ME, but you destroyed it! The 07 ME was amazing. So he clearly thinks the only reason you would do this is for commercial gain, i.e. make people buy the new version hoping it will be better. Bigger scams have happened as I'm sure you know.

I don't know if I'd go that far but I would say you have either listened to bad advice or are struggling for new ideas. A big deal has been made of touchline shouts but at the end of the day they are just set parameters for the sliders which make it easier for people coming straight in to the game and can't get to grips with a slider but can understand a description of what the slider means in a certain position (this was part of his argument too, new users being accommodated rather than improving the game). Touchline shouts are again just a new way to dress the game up, as are most of the 'new features'.

Perhaps you are listening to the wrong users as you put it? Being active in the community is great, but sifting through BS can be a fine art, especially when there is so much of it on here.....

Now, Neil, don't make me strip you of "User of the Week 25th October-1st November 2008" for handing out a rival award :thdn:

(though I agree, it was a ridiculous comment)

On tactics in FM07- strike partnerships or threes (i.e. FL-FC-FR) are better than the lone striker IMo, though some people did get lone strikers to work well. Big men up front are the best any time, and good wingers are essential.

Archived