Suggestion: Private Rumours/Info

Occassionally parts of FM, really make you step back into reality, as they don't seem integrated with the rest of the game.

For example, when you are rumoured to be up for a job.

Unless you're actively looking for somewhere to go, you're probably not aware of that job even becoming available - all of a sudden the media want to you to make a statement and if you might be interested, you need to quickly work out if you might have any kind of chance and then decide how to respond. Unless they then offer you the job, you don't hear any more about it.

It's completely disconnected from the rest of the experience, but did give me a new idea.

My suggestion would be: for example when a job becomes insecure, or clubs start sniffing around a manager with the intention of poaching him, in real life the club will start to explore its options. This could be implemented in such a way that your agent comes to you and says "Wycombe want to know if you're interested in so and so opportunity if their current manager leaves". It could be expanded that you could ask your agent to look for clubs and he could tout your services, which might then prompt more sackings because a club thinks it could attract you. You could use it, when you can see that it's going to be very difficult to take your current club any further, without massive time consolodating, to progress your career whilst its at a peak.

Obviously there would be a risk/reward strategy in terms of the more you are being enquired about, or your getting your agent to tout your services, the more risk the press get wind of it and which could be linked to the current effects of declaring interest in a job or expanded, to make it more likely the board will agree to a request, or give you a new contract etc, and you could therefore have a sort of "semi-ultimatum", where you deliberately "leak" the information to try and get the board to do something for you in return for your loyalty.

It would also allow us more fine control over where we might take our careers. Your favorite club are already more likely to hire you, but in this way you could have subtle influence over being more likely to get a job in Italy, or more likely to get the Barcelona job than the Madrid one.

Going further, I'm sure the scope could be expanded further to staff recruitment and player recruitment, to give the more real world flavour of the "legal tapping" up we see today in transfers, or to express players wishes, to go to or avoid certain leages and clubs.

Yes, this would add more depth. In particular, there should be scenarios that create increasing tension between you and the board short of the feckin' 'ultimatum' which results in guaranteed sacking.

There's no need to go down the illegal tapping up route, but more media speculation and questioning re other jobs and negotiating a better contract with the board who want to keep you should be developed.

The agent idea is an interesting one, and it has my vote. We all know that 'tapping up' occurs all the time in football regarding players and managers / coaches.

Agents play a huge role in modern football and if a system like this could be implemented I think it would a add a great deal to the game.

Archived